Oil Pan Seal + Rear Main Seal + Clutch And Transmission

Joe

I recently bought a 1999Corvette Coupe M6 tranny with 175K for $13.7K miles I have put well over 3k on the car myself. Well When I bought the car it had an oil leek and was referred to a guy out of Upland, CA. He put the car on the lift and and said it looked like a rear main, then on further examination pulled the back two oil pan screws which were obviously stripped, so we went to lowes got several different size bolt, tapped the holes and replaced the stripped bolts I checked myself and they where secure. Drove the crap out of the car for an hour drove it back and checked under the car again and no new oil. (we cleaned up under that car with degreaser and such)

Fast forward two weeks I go on whats known as "leave awaiting separation" basically all the leave I saved up on active duty (US Marines) I am taking now and at my actual separation date I will stop getting paid. (Honorable discharge BTW) I drive the car to Arizona no issue got 32.1 MPG averaging 82 MPH (80 in CA 85 in AZ). un load the car park it. Next morning start the car up and bam Low Oil level warning, add a qt of Royal purple 5w 30. Clutch is at the mid way point and if I physically moved it up it would stay untill I engage it then it only comes up halfway, no slippage though and engaged just fine, drove the car a mile down the road to the bank and once the car warmed up it was fine. So I get my clutch fluid change out kit (turkey baster, cup, micro fiber no lint cloth, and Dot 4 fluid) For the record my car has an Ls7 Clutch. I open the reservoir and the fluid is black :willy:banghead So I suck it out, clean the reservoir add clean fluid replace the cap and pump the clutch 35 times pretty fast (for the record it acted just like it should no spungyness popped all the way back up etc) Re check the reservoir and it's clean for good measure I repeated the process untill I went through a full bottle of Dot 4. Next day drove the car to the dealership Told them the issues they take the car in three hours later the diagnosis, Bad Oil Pan Gasket and rear main seal. The price Tag 2k :willy I had some money saved up for Rent Etc (I still got 7 weeks paid leave time left) and this will pretty much kil that.

Now for what really bothers me I was driving along and want to go from 4th to 5th at 40 MPH so I push the shifter all the way to the right and up and I hear a grind and it won't let me in get this reverse (foot still on the clutch), it didnt do that when I first bought the car! So I go a bit left and shift into 5th just fine. When I first got the car it wouldn't let me in reverse at any forward speed or down shift into first while driving faster than 30 MPH (the latter is still the case)

I'm very frustrated and a bit worried I can weather this financial storm but any more repairs on the order of thousands of dollers and I'm done. I am going to be attending UTI in November and had this happened then I would have the knowhow and tools to fix it myself at this time I just dont.

I bought a new short throw shifter for the trensmission, could it me the synchro's?

Adive/help is much appreciated.

Okay, take a deep breath.

Is the car actually leaking on the ground? If so, where is it coming from?

A car with 175k miles is probably wearing out the syncros and you just have to be careful how you shift. I don't see a need to repair that as long as it is shifting into each gear. Just be careful selecting 5th.

Keep an eye on the clutch fluid as you are. There are several threads on CF about this and you sound like you are doing the right thing with that LS7 clutch.

Lastly, you could buy a brand new car from one dealership and take it to another dealer. The second dealer would find $2k worth of repairs to your NEW car. Find a reputable mechanic and decide what truly needs to be fixed and what doesn't. As a new owner of a Vette, I sypathize. It is easy to throw money at every problem. I learned the hard way that not everything needs to be fixed immediately.

My advice is it's a lot easier to add an occasional quart of oil to a high mileage engine than paying a dealer to fix a gasket and seal...

Go see Mike at AZP&S or Joe at Classic Gold. They will give you an honest assestment of what the car needs and help prioritize the repairs.

Go see Mike at AZP&S or Joe at Classic Gold. They will give you an honest assestment of what the car needs and help prioritize the repairs.

Do they have a website/phone number?

Edit:

AZ power and sound ya know your the third person to refer them to me, even the dealership said to go to them for the alignment.

Okay, take a deep breath.

Is the car actually leaking on the ground? If so, where is it coming from?

A car with 175k miles is probably wearing out the syncros and you just have to be careful how you shift. I don't see a need to repair that as long as it is shifting into each gear. Just be careful selecting 5th.

Keep an eye on the clutch fluid as you are. There are several threads on CF about this and you sound like you are doing the right thing with that LS7 clutch.

Lastly, you could buy a brand new car from one dealership and take it to another dealer. The second dealer would find $2k worth of repairs to your NEW car. Find a reputable mechanic and decide what truly needs to be fixed and what doesn't. As a new owner of a Vette, I sypathize. It is easy to throw money at every problem. I learned the hard way that not everything needs to be fixed immediately.

My advice is it's a lot easier to add an occasional quart of oil to a high mileage engine than paying a dealer to fix a gasket and seal...

Can the syncros be replaced or is it just a new transmasion I would need to get all together? This is my first vette and for a 99 it has a lot of miles so one wonder just what the car was in it's past life. I think I am a mechanics dream because I am paranoid about my cars and always fix everything right away that why I am going to one of the best mechanics schools in the nation so I can do stuff like this myself.

Guest beemer2k

AZ Power & Sounds website is: www.azpowerandsound.com

Mike is a honest & knowledgeable guy. He is the ONLY person I would let touch my 'vettes. Right now he has my '02 Z06 doing a full motor swap & a TON of mods.

His phone number is: (866) 966-1168 if they don't answer leave a message, they are good about returning them.

Or if you can visit his shop in Tempe.

Mike is a honest & knowledgeable guy. He is the ONLY person I would let touch my 'vettes. Right now he has my '02 Z06 doing a full motor swap & a TON of mods.

His phone number is: (866) 966-1168 if they don't answer leave a message, they are good about returning them.

I went to his shop and spoke with him for a couple hours, the guy knows his stuff thats for sure.

I went to his shop and spoke with him for a couple hours, the guy knows his stuff thats for sure.

Welcome to AZ Joe!

I hope all your problems get worked out as Mike is the man when it comes to that stuff. I hope you get a chance to see the vette. It will be at the Pavs this Sat and the next. :partydance:

Welcome to AZ Joe!

I hope all your problems get worked out as Mike is the man when it comes to that stuff. I hope you get a chance to see the vette. It will be at the Pavs this Sat and the next. :partydance:

Your car is awesome man, it's not good me hanging out with you I will spend a lot of money on my ride.