Water Temps

Guest Kens06

Guest Kens06

Ok, I don't drive the Z much.

However the temps in town and on the highway are too high!!

230 in town 220 on the freeway...........

I have never seen >210 even when racing at Firebird!!

I have tried to contact both Mike and Joe to see if I can get it on a lift to see if sucked up a garbage bag or other crap.

Fan relay failure, whatever!!

Mike doesn't even have an answering machine??

I may just blow off the dyno stuff this Sat. I can do one and give the other one away!!

I feel better now!!

Rant over!!

Ken

PS---Someone PM me to get the car in for a fix??

If it's a ride in the GTO, wear your seatbelt... :burnout

Let us know what they find.

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Ok, I don't drive the Z much.

However the temps in town and on the highway are too high!!

230 in town 220 on the freeway...........

I have never seen >210 even when racing at Firebird!!

I have tried to contact both Mike and Joe to see if I can get it on a lift to see if sucked up a garbage bag or other crap.

Fan relay failure, whatever!!

Mike doesn't even have an answering machine??

I may just blow off the dyno stuff this Sat. I can do one and give the other one away!!

I feel better now!!

Rant over!!

Ken

PS---Someone PM me to get the car in for a fix??

We have answering machines and minions to answer the phones :) you sure you have the right number?

Mine runs 220 avg when it's over 110 outside ..

<200 when temps go below 100 ..like .. ohh ..

.. 2 in the morning or some such these days.

-Frank (did I mention it was HOT out?)

Mine runs 220 avg when it's over 110 outside ..

<200 when temps go below 100 ..like .. ohh ..

.. 2 in the morning or some such these days.

-Frank (did I mention it was HOT out?)

me three

On days where I'm making a bunch of calls, 230-240 is what I run. On those days I will jump on the freeway for 10-15 minutes to cool it down, but even then 220 is where it seems to sit. And that's with a brand new thermostat in.

Jim

Wow some of you run pretty hot for cars that are not modified in the radiator area or larger engine displacements. Typically Forced Induction that is Intercooled will still or block the air to the radiator, so higher temps is the result.

Last summer I was seeing 235 - 240 before I changed out my radiator for a Dewitt 4 Core with built in oil cooler. That helped some but I also added the Motor City Mold - Heat Extractor Hood. That has made a big difference on my temps in the summer. Now I run around at 205 - 215 in normal driving conditions, and can see 220 - 230 with heavy spirited driving.

The last thing I would recommend is Water Wetter. You can pick up at your local auto parts store. You just add it to your coolent and it will help keep the temps down.

Hope that info helps some of you.

Phil... :devil

The last thing I would recommend is Water Wetter. You can pick up at your local auto parts store. You just add it to your coolent and it will help keep the temps down.

Is this for or against?

Robert and Elizabeth

When it is hot out (like it is now), I run about 205 on the freeway and about 215 on surface streets. I have a 160 degree thermostat also. In the winter, it runs about 20 degrees cooler.

When it is hot out (like it is now), I run about 205 on the freeway and about 215 on surface streets. I have a 160 degree thermostat also. In the winter, it runs about 20 degrees cooler.

Yeah, but you're running a C6 with a nice open face for better air flow. :toetap:lol

With respect, to Phil I disagree with water wetter. It is a chemical that breaks down the surface tension of water to make the "molecules" smaller. Not unlike dish soap (without the bubbles).

When that chemical wears down after sever heat cycles, it will leave a residue inside your cooling system. Then in turn to set the same effect again, you have to contumely add Water Wetter.

After time it does have a chemical reaction with your system and can accelerate the wear of your cooling system.

2cts.

chad

Guest Sidewinder

Is this for or against?

For I think. The heat extractor hood works well. I have never seen 200 deg on the highway.

With respect, to Phil I disagree with water wetter. It is a chemical that breaks down the surface tension of water to make the "molecules" smaller. Not unlike dish soap (without the bubbles).

When that chemical wears down after sever heat cycles, it will leave a residue inside your cooling system. Then in turn to set the same effect again, you have to contumely add Water Wetter.

After time it does have a chemical reaction with your system and can accelerate the wear of your cooling system.

2cts.

chad

Chad, I have not heard that, but good to know. If I start to have problems in the long run, I will keep this in mind.

Thanks for sharing.

I also use a DeWitt's radiator with the EOC. I'm pretty sure their aluminum radiators for the C5's are 2 core instead of 4 core, but either way it does a damn good job of keeping it cooler. I'm not utilizing the EOC portion, yet, but my coolant temps dropped from 225-230 degrees on the street during the heat of the summer to 198-205. I have yet to see my temp gauge go above 210 this summer, and I was abusing it through Tempe traffic at the time. It mostly sits right around 198 on the streets, 190 on the freeway. During the cooler months, it runs right around 180.

Notes:

I use a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water.

178 degree thermostat.

Stock fans with setpoints changed to turn on at 195.

Notes:

178 degree thermostat.

Pardon the ignorance, but what's involved in changing the setpoints of the stock fan? That sounds like something I would look into!

Jim

C5 Data...

The low speed cooling fan is commanded on when the coolant temperature reaches 108°C (226°F). It is turned off if the coolant temperature lowers to 104°C (219°F). The high speed cooling fan is commanded on when the coolant temperature reaches 113°C (235°F). It is turned off if the coolant temperature lowers to 108°C (226°F). When the A/C is on and the coolant temperature reaches 85°C (185°F), the low speed cooling fan will be turned on at vehicle speeds less than 56 kPh (35 mph).

Engine Coolant Indicator(s)

COOLANT OVER TEMP

The IPC illuminates the COOLANT OVER TEMP indicator in the message center when the following occurs:

• The PCM detects that the engine coolant temperature exceeds 124°C (256°F). The IPC receives a class 2 message from the PCM indicating the high coolant temperature.
  • The IPC will also illuminate the CHECK GAGES indicator and a chime sounds when this condition exists.
Cooling System

The cooling system's function is to maintain an efficient engine operating temperature during all engine speeds and operating conditions. The cooling system is designed to remove approximately one-third of the heat produced by the burning of the air-fuel mixture. When the engine is cold, the system cools slowly or not at all. This allows the engine to warm quickly.

Notes:

178 degree thermostat.

Pardon the ignorance, but what's involved in changing the setpoints of the stock fan? That sounds like something I would look into!

Jim

Jim,

I used HP Tuners, but that's an expensive option if all you need to do is change the fan settings. Most flash programmers have the same function available. If these are not an option, the local tuner that most of the people here use can do it.

Kipp

Have any of you noticed running hotter with the AC on?

On the freeway I'm running about 205 but in town its running 217 and if I get on it at all it's 230

If I shut the AC off I run 199

I've been thinking about getting a Dewitts radiator

Jim

Hey Jim, if you send me an email I can change those for you quick and cheap.

-Nic

Jim

Hey Jim, if you send me an email I can change those for you quick and cheap.

-Nic

This would be the person I was referring you to, Jim.

(edit) If you do a lot of stopping and starting the motor, see if he will include the option to allow the fan to continue running for a set amount of time after you shut off the car.

Have any of you noticed running hotter with the AC on?

On the freeway I'm running about 205 but in town its running 217 and if I get on it at all it's 230

If I shut the AC off I run 199

I've been thinking about getting a Dewitts radiator

Go for the DeWitt's. I'm running the cooler temps with the A/C blasting on high all day long. The A/C condensor is the high pressure side of your system and sits in front of the radiator. It radiates a lot of heat that, in turn, gets dissipated through your radiator making your radiator a little less efficient. A minor side effect is that your motor also has to turn your A/C compressor, causing more of a load on the motor, creating more heat, etc, etc.

More radiator capacity and more airflow through the radiator will take care of your temperature concerns. Be Cool, Ron Davis, and other reputable companies also make very good radiators for the Corvettes. For the C4 and older Vettes, Griffin provides a nice aftermarket radiator, also.