NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Install After Market Stereo In A 1995

coconut girl

coconut girl

I tried to have a shop here in Prescott switch out my Bose and install my Kenwood Excelon with USB port. After they spent 2 ½ hours looking for the amp, they gave up. They said GM puts them in different places in each year and it was too late to contact Tech Support. I had given them 3 days notice, but they waited until my appointment at 4:00 pm to think about this.

They told me it had to be completely re-wired so the after market radio would work with my Bose amp. They could not tell me how long it would take, maybe 4 hours at $60 an hour. That’s when I told them to forget it.

Then I found these online. Has anyone tried this? If this is all I have to do, I am sure my husband and I could do this. And if it is, I may go back to that stereo shop and blast it for them with a nice little burn out at the end.

Any help would be appreciated. I am tired of listen to my MP3 player with the FM transmitter. I know some of you youngsters will not know what I am talking about by it sounds like a scratchy vinyl record!!!!! I just want to plug in my 4.0 GB USB Mass Storage Device (or whatever they are called) and rock!!!!!!

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?dept%5F...p;pf%5Fid=29387

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lZDh8ReJIE7/c...amp;i=142C4GM02

Hi Pam,

I have a 96 and went with an aftermarket stereo for the sam reasons, I had an Alpine put in to replace the stock Bose system and all that had to be done is to place a wiring adapter on the factory connector and remove the old speakers and amps, The bose amps are located right next to each of the speakers so I dont know why they could not find them unless they were looking for a single amp that powers all that is non existant. Anyway with the amp removed and the harness in place you can use the existing wiring for the new speakers.

I think I would look at taking it to another shop that may have experianced techs

Guest Kens06

Pam,

You are going to have to get with a reputable shop!!

These guys are experimenting on your dollars!!

The Vette Bose system has a head unit and AM/FM receiver module.

The head unit is the dash display where you tune the stations, insert CDs yada yada!!

The radio receiver module is what they keep moving, not the amp, because there is NO single amp!

Each speaker module has the amp/crossover included.

In the old days each speaker had a specific location.

They had custom crossovers for each position to give you the "Bose" experience!!

That "experience" may be great for a CTS-V but most Vetter's want more!!

My '92 needs some help but, at least in there I can hear what's playing!!

Find someone that knows what they are doing first, than crank it!!

Ken

coconut girl

Thanks Guys

Sound more complacated that I want to mess with.

I sent a message to Blakmajik. I hope he is interested.

I need music. To make it even worse, the Bose is only a cassette palyer.

I don't even know anybody that still has cassesttes!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Guys

I had the Bose system on my Mercedes changed, and yes, it was a nightmare. The amps are in the doors and speakers, and all had to be completely re-wired. Once I had it done, it sounded great until people looked in and stole my expensive stereo twice. the last time doing 1500.00 damage to the center console. another option for the mp-3 or ipod is a new system that plugs in the back of some corvette stereos and by-passes the radio fm sender that doesn't sound as good. It's a couple hundred dollars as I recall, but then when you push the aux button on the radio it plays your mp-3 and the radio let's you know what song is playing, etc. Mike

coconut girl
Thanks Guys

I had the Bose system on my Mercedes changed, and yes, it was a nightmare. The amps are in the doors and speakers, and all had to be completely re-wired. Once I had it done, it sounded great until people looked in and stole my expensive stereo twice. the last time doing 1500.00 damage to the center console. another option for the mp-3 or ipod is a new system that plugs in the back of some corvette stereos and by-passes the radio fm sender that doesn't sound as good. It's a couple hundred dollars as I recall, but then when you push the aux button on the radio it plays your mp-3 and the radio let's you know what song is playing, etc. Mike

Thanks Mike

My Bose does not have an AUX button, only an AUTO. Not sure what that does. I will have to try it out. I think it is the bottom of the line stereo.

Do the FM transmitters that plug into the cassette player work any better that the other type of FM transmitters?

I am thinking about ordering the full set of instructions that jester put in his post above. $10.00 for the set. If anyone else is thinking about doing this, I will loan you the instructions.

Guest AZ Power & Sound

Ive done a few... I recommend replacing the speakers while youre in there as the doors only have 4 inch speakers in them with some super duper enclosure the size of the door. Running new wires is very simple as the door boots are HUGE and easy to get through. Last time I did them I just built a speaker panel from MDF and mounted 6.5 inch speakers in the doors with the new deck.

Let me know if I can help at all :)

coconut girl
Ive done a few... I recommend replacing the speakers while youre in there as the doors only have 4 inch speakers in them with some super duper enclosure the size of the door. Running new wires is very simple as the door boots are HUGE and easy to get through. Last time I did them I just built a speaker panel from MDF and mounted 6.5 inch speakers in the doors with the new deck.

Thanks Mike.

What do you think the installation and new speaker charges would be, ball park figure?

Guest AZ Power & Sound

Thanks Mike.

What do you think the installation and new speaker charges would be, ball park figure?

3 hours labor @ $80 an hour, $25 in MDF wood

a good set of 6.5 speakers will run abouit $69 for the pair

20 feet of speaker wire is about 7 bucks for decent 16 gauge

dash kit and antenna adapter are $30

I wont need a wire harness