NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Water Under Passenger Side Dash

Bigfoot

OK, new problem.

On the run home today we got some water dripping down from under the dash on passenger side directly from the blower motor. Also, whenever I would make a left hand turn I could hear the blower motor start squeeling. The squeeling did not start until I got off the freeway and was on city streets. Stacie noticed the drip about halfway back down the mountain.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas or hear about this from anywhere else before I start tearing the dash apart?

Thanks,

Sean

It's not antifreeze is it? It didn't rain hard enough to build up water that way. Only other wet stuff is the w/s washer. Good luck. Robert :burnout

Evap drain stopped up.

:withstupid GM quality :rolleyes

Happened to both Pontiac GTP's I had before the Vette. Search CF and you should find the location. Just snip the nipple (cars, not yours) off.

Evap drain stopped up.

:withstupid GM quality :rolleyes

Happened to both Pontiac GTP's I had before the Vette. Search CF and you should find the location. Just snip the nipple (cars, not yours) off.

:agree Time to play with your "utters"

That make sense especially with the high humidity that we are now enjoying :banghead There will be a lot more condensation then you would normally see and it couldn't drain fast enough. Good catch Mikey :thumbs Robert :burnout

Sean, if it is the evap drain, do not take the dash apart. If I remember right I got to mine when I had the c5 by either removing the hatch in the wheel well or maybe I got to it from the top under the hood. Hell I am old can't remember. :yesnod

Sean, you get to them under the hood but they're difficult to find. If I'm remembering correctly there's one on each side.

Edit: here's the fix complete with sketches. Good Luck! :thumbs

Drain Fix

Thanks guys...I found THIS over at CF.

If you look at reply #3, that is where my problem was. Picture 2 in that reply shows the end that the water drains from (this one comes directly from the blower motor through the firewall). There was something logded in there that I could only describe as a little white rock restricting the drain. It broke apart when I managed to get it out though. Once I got it cleared out, enough water drained out to make it look like someone spilled a bottle of water under the car (approximately 20 oz).

The pics of where that thing is at do not show the wire harness that runs right above it. I had to jack the car up and get at it from underneath.

I still had to get under the dash because there was enough water still in the blower that it was still leaking in the car. I had to take a wet/dry vac and do my best to suck it all out (no comments from the peanut gallery on that one :lol )

The entire floor area of the passenger side was/is soaked. I did my best to use the wet/dry vac again to pull as much out as I could, but I'm letting it all air dry so I have interior pieces laying all over my garage floor. :(

But, all in all, she should be good now. I fired it up and all seems to be working well again.

Sean

Robert and Elizabeth

Wow, we will keep our fingers crossed that was the problem. What a pain! :toetap

Yeah, I sure hope that was the only problem... At least it didn't cost you a small fortune to fix!!!

Glad that worked for you. :thumbs The bill is in the mail.

I guess it just proves, if you got problems with water call a plumber :lol

Man those pix on CF are really bad ..no pointing at all :)

Glad you got it done ..we hates water in the foot wells an stuff.

-Frank

I used a semi rigid wire to unclog mine. You might as well consider it biannual routine maintenance now. If it happened once, almost guarantee it will happen again.

I used a semi rigid wire to unclog mine. You might as well consider it biannual routine maintenance now. If it happened once, almost guarantee it will happen again.

I don't know about that. This car came from Colorado and this is the first time I've run the A/C for such a lengthy period in high humidity. But you never do know.

There is no build up in the tube...it was just one lump of something...my wife said it reminded her of salt, like the kind used on winter roads. Who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

Sean,

Sooo, did this get fixed? What was it????

Enquiring minds want to know......

Andrew

Sean,

Sooo, did this get fixed? What was it????

Enquiring minds want to know......

Andrew

Humm I believe he said it was the drain tube.

Yeah Drew, I got it taken care of. It was something that looked kind of like rock salt for the roads. Once it came out the water drained like a big dog.

Now whenever I run the A/C and then shut the car off you can hear the water dripping onto the hot headers and evaporating off really quick. :lol

Oh, I misunderstood. For some reason I thought it was a leak inside the car. Well, glad you got it fixed.

Andrew

Oh, I misunderstood. For some reason I thought it was a leak inside the car. Well, glad you got it fixed.

Andrew

You were partially right. The drain clogs up and causes it to back up in the a/c and overflow into the passenger side footwell.

Look out for you GTO too. Both Pontiacs I had did the same thing. I don't think it's a Vette problem, I believe it's common to all GM products. Poor design IMHO.