NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Oil Pressure Gauge Buried

Dvl4evr

Hey guys,

Yesterday I had a mechanic replace my oil pressure sensor because I had read on CF that when it's buried @ 80 the sensor is bad. When I left the shop I went straight home & the gauge was working & I had a reading. I didn't drive anywhere after bringing it home.

This morning I get in the car & drive to work & the guage is buried again. What else could be causing this if not the sensor?

Thanks

Jim

My guess is one of two things occurred

1) your mechanic didn't actual do the work you were charged for

2) the replacement sensor was bad

Not much else that would cause the problem.

Speedratchet

There has also been issues with the bypass valve in the oil pump sticking.

Fisrt thing to do is with engine off, ignition in the on position look at your oil pressure. If it is maxed your "new" pressure switch is bad. If it is at zero you have another problem.

Thanks for the input!

Things just got more interesting.

I was getting on the freeway about a half hour ago & the needle was buried @ 80 psi as indicated in the title & all of a sudden when I got on it a little to merge with traffic, the needle went to zero. Bells & whistles started going off. Then the needle slowly rose to about 55 psi & then rapidly went to zero again & again bells & whistles went off. Not even a minute later it buried itself @ 80 psi again & stayed there.

My thoughts now are electrical or instrument cluster. Either of which are going to be a good for my wallet I'm sure!

Jim

Here is a thought...maybe they did not connect the electrical connector very well and it's giving you a serious intermitent! You may be able to reach behind the manifold and give it a wiggle and see what happens.

Speedratchet

You might have to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to isolate the problem.

According to the CF there was a bad batch of new sensors out earlier this year, failed within miles of being replaced...I wonder if you found one?

According to the CF there was a bad batch of new sensors out earlier this year, failed within miles of being replaced...I wonder if you found one?

I talked with him on the phone yesterday. He had already taken it back to the shop that did the work. Hopefully it's just a loose connection or another bad sensor...which either one is what my gut tells me.

He'll post back when he finds out for sure.

Pretty frustrated, but have my car back! The sensor I purchased & gave to the mechanic to put in was in fact a BAD sensor. So after $500.00 I have a sensor that works. I was charged $165 in labor to put the 1st sensor in. Then in order to make sure it was a bad sensor & not a bad cluster or pig tail, the mechanic did some testing. That testing was $97.00. After determining the problem was in fact the sensor a new sensor cost me $65.00 & another $165 in labor to put the 2nd sensor in.

Took the 1st installed sensor back to the dealership I bought it from & they gave me a refund on it. Asked if I have any recourse from AC Delco to recoupe the cost for the second sensors labor & testing & the guy said no, you should have had the mechanic buy the part through his shop the first time so parts & labor would be warrantied.

Another life lesson learned for $500.00!

Jim

Sorry about the cost...but at least you have her back and running.

All of that is a reason I love doing my own work. I had to change mine a few months back and all it cost me was the $65. Well, that and all the modding I did while I had it apart anyway. :lol (LS6 intake manifold, LS6 valley cover)

Robert and Elizabeth

Ouch!! That has got to sting. Sorry to hear of your ordeal. At least your Vette is back and running fine now! :thumbs

Sorry about the cost...but at least you have her back and running.

All of that is a reason I love doing my own work. I had to change mine a few months back and all it cost me was the $65. Well, that and all the modding I did while I had it apart anyway. :lol (LS6 intake manifold, LS6 valley cover)

That's why I bought the part, I was going to do it myself, just couldn't find the time to actually follow thru.

Thanks for everyone's input I appreciate it!

Jim