NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Sure Could Use A Hand! Anyone Willing To Help Out For Lunch?

_Al

Hey,

my '81 vette, the right rear spindle support is broken, i have the new one but i need some help, primarily someone who can help me:

press the new bearings into it properly (i don't have a press), beyond that i would think i can manage, i've done a headgasket set with a torque wrench and a pair of vice grips...i can't see that support topping that :) i just really want to get the corvette on all 4 as it should be, so i can move it around and start working on it soon.

Phill's Vette

I was going to do my rear bearings and did some research on it, then decided not to do it my self. There are a few different tools you must have to do it right and if you don't get it right... everything comes back off and you start over; most likely with new part that were ruined. I know of some owners that have done this them selves but everyone will say it's very much a PITA especially if you don't get it right the first time.

I love working on my vettes, any vettes - just can't beat the feel of doing it yourself BUT for me, I kinda have a good idea on my limits and so far those limits have been transmission and rear t-arm assemblies.

I do wish you the best of luck and will offer my help if can be of help. My weekends will not be free for another 2 weeks or so, its hard for me to plan anything but sometimes it works out. Maybe some other c3 fellas will post up?

I'll be watching your post.

What part of town do you live in?

Phill

You can certainly have a shop fit the bearings for not much $ and do the take out and reinstall yourself. That's probably the route I would take. Name a date and some people will likely show up.

Melissa has an arbor press (don't ask...) if you want to bring the parts over we can see what we can do. We haven't done that before but we should be able to gitter done.........

Andrew

thanks for the offers guys. after talking to a few people, i think i'm going to have a shop press the bearings in....found a place willing to do it for 15$, least then if it explodes i can blame them :)

i do appreciate the offers though, i may need some help getting the new motor put in and running, in the future :)

thanks for the offers guys. after talking to a few people, i think i'm going to have a shop press the bearings in....found a place willing to do it for 15$, least then if it explodes i can blame them :)

i do appreciate the offers though, i may need some help getting the new motor put in and running, in the future :)

Never installed a motor before...if it's cool out I'd be willing to help. :thumbs

it's not bad......just not as much room on a vette as most vehicles. supposed to be getting the "new" motor in a week or so, then i can start building it, and i need to find somewhere to do a freshening on the tranny (only has 60k, but figure while it's out...) worst part is getting all the vacuum lines hooked up and all the wires and etc...

i'd love to find some sidepipes for it but, thus far nothing affordable has come along.

Never installed a motor before...if it's cool out I'd be willing to help. :thumbs

I've wrestled a few motors in my days, albeit not into a vette. I'd be willing to lend ya hand. I have a cherry picker too if you need it.

thanks, i have all the tools needed, except the new motor....but when you're getting it free, i can't push em to much heh. all in good time i suppose. i'll keep ya guys in mind when i get to that point.

Between Dave and Melissa, we have all the tools to build the whole car. Let us know what you need and when you might need some help.

Andrew

one of the biggest issues for me other than that bearing, is getting the body work done, i have very little fiberglass experience, i've never sanded a fiberglass car, etc....

any of you guys have any knowhow in that department?

well i picked up the "new" motor yesterday, going to pull the heads, have the heads checked out, replace theheadgaskets. i have an edelbrock intake for it, just need to get a carb and a new waterpump and it's good to go... :D

one of the biggest issues for me other than that bearing, is getting the body work done, i have very little fiberglass experience, i've never sanded a fiberglass car, etc....

any of you guys have any knowhow in that department?

I have done some very minor glass repair, nothing more than horsehair could repair, but I did lend a hand 20 years ago when my brother was patching up his big block 69... :thumbs

When you get closer to body work time, get some pictures of what you need to do...

some of the paint is really rough, needs to be sanded down and primered for repaint. and theres 3 or 4 small spots that need repaired.

you can see the rough paint on the rear quarter/bumper here, then theres a spot about 3"x1" around the RR wheel well, a spot on the LR quarter where the bumper mounts (1/2"x2"?), and a spot up by the headlights

post-502-1185204329.jpg

post-502-1185204428.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

the gasket set came today, so i'm going to try to pull the heads, clean them up, and get the new headgaskets, and intake gaskets and intake put on, get the rockers and pushrods put in and adjusted, and valve covers on and the dist. dropped in, in the next week or 2...then i'll just need to source a new waterpump, a harmonic balancer, a carb...i think thats it...! not so sure i want to put the original tranny back in...sure would like overdrive, but we'll see on that.

interior...i think a carpet kit, and redoing the seats should fix most of that...then it's just sanding the rear quarters, a little fiberglass work, rear bumper needs some sanding and alignment, and the headlights dropped...then it's off for paint.

oh and i need to replace that rear knuckle...thats plaguing me, still need to get new bearings put in the new knuckle so i can replace it.

just figured i'd give an update.

I have quite a bit of experience working on my C2. From engine to mechanical work, very little fiberglass work. Trouble is there are major differences between the C2 and C3.

I have sent you a separate message. If time and distance permits, maybe I could share some of my knowledge.