NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Vehicle Alignment

jstrutt

I received this from the Texas Corvette Association and thought you tech's could agree or disagree or agree to disagree. Don't ask me as I know s**t. :D

Here's a 'peformance' tire alignment FAQ.

The "factory" vehicle alignment is set for "crowned" roads; in where car is sort of driving on the side of a hill all the time. Here the left front tire's camber and caster is different from the right tire's camber and caster. This is usually the best for city and country roads.

Many streets and Highways these days are not "crowned;" nor are dragstrips and most autocross surfaces.

Most enthusiasts have the front end alignment set "equal" with max camber and caster. "Camber" is the inward-lean of the top of the tire, and "Caster" makes the wheels turn faster or slower by modifying some

of the geometric values in the steering setup.

The rear wheels should be set to be in line with the front wheels and also include max camber. If you've ever seen a vehice "crabbing" down the hghway, that's a poor rear end alignment.

This offers the best response, is good for highway driving; but also means that the LF may be prone to more wear over the lfe of the tire. Caster could make the car a little "touchier" to stay straight over long highways runs; but if it's a good alignment you won't ever notice it. One should always check the inside tread for wear to prevent any problems.

A GREAT shop will let you stay in the car (WITH YOUR HELMET) to offer the best balance during performance events. Also "set" or remember your gas tank's level. I good idea is to fill up or 1/2 tank it.

Most shops offer a lifetime service; so you can 'switch' between a performance setup and a streetable setup.