NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Where Should I Go?

84vette

as some of you know already i need a replacement air scoop (if thats what you call it) for under the nose of my car, a 160 degree thermostate (or close to it) and a complete weather stripping kit. does anyone have advice on where i can go to get the best deal on these?

the thermostate i can probably find at checker but if anybody knows something better let me know.

Check out MidAmerica or Ecklers. Either one will have what you are looking for and the prices are better than local. :thumbs Robert :burnout

Phill's Vette

If you are running a stock ecm, you probably don't want to use a 160 t-state. A 180 is the lowest you want to go for a stock CFI. To learn more about the 82/84 Crossfire Injection check out the CF Vault Forum: CFI Vault

There is a lot of online stores you can order these parts from. As QT said, Ecklers and MidAmerica would have them; that is where I do much of my shopping.

:thumbs

how has your experience with midamerica been, that is where i have ordered all my parts in the past. 1/2 of the parts i have got from them have broke on me. i feel like they have been sending me junk for a very expensive price.

Desertdawg

I always found that ordering a bunch of parts at once from Ecklers seemed to net the cheapest price.

The rubber part your looking for is called the air dam.

And I agree, the 160 Tstat is way to cold for the CFI, you need to get the temp up to 190 for it to go into open loop. If your overheating, then clean out all the debris from the radiator. if that doesn't help, it may be time for a new one. or to get your rodded and cleaned.

when i bought the car it would run really hot and losing antifreeze. so i replaced the radiator and cleaned that all out, then i found out my fan wasnt working, turns out it was a broken wire fixed that, at the same time i put in a new 195 thermostate. i was still losing a lot of antifreeze, so i pulled the thermostate back out cause i found i only lost the coolant when the car would heat up and build up the pressure, i also but a lower temp cap on the radiator hoping to put coolant in my reserve before it would build up the pressure cause the antifreeze reserve had been bone dry since the day i bought it.

but in short for the last couple years i have been running a cooler radiator cap, and no thermostate trying to keep the antifreeze from disappearing out of the front of the block, until i am ready to work on the engine.

I always found that ordering a bunch of parts at once from Ecklers seemed to net the cheapest price.

:agree I purchase 99.9% of my parts from Eckler's with fast shipping, price matching, and high quality service and I'm buying from Canada. Spent thousands there and will continue to do business with them. JMHO :D

Try ebay for the weather stripping I got the full set for my 96 for 400.00 and have had no problems at all

I would at least check with Gene at GMPartsHouse.com, he saved me tons on the ricockulously priced C5 'vert weatherstripping when I put a new top on it. :yesnod

• 2 weeks later...

thanks everyone for your advice but i still have one more thing, i have looked everywhere for the lower bafflling and everyone has told me the same thing, it has been discontinued. Now what, do i start looking through junk yards? or do i find someone to cutom build it?

i thought ecklers had a replacement lower baffle so i ordered it and just received it today, turns out its just an add on, supposedly gives you better air flow through the radiator but it sticks way out front and i dont like that look. besides in my mind its still no good without the stock one because now i have about a four inch gap between the back of the air dam and the radiator for the air to escape through. i am still going to instal it, it will be better than nothing. i havent drove the car since i came home from the tombstone run, i cant stand it.

Did you try ebay?

Is THIS what you're looking for? Or THIS?

thanks for the advice. i dont know why i never think of ebay, but i just looked there, they have only one but its for an 85-89, do you think that will work?

Did you try ebay?

Is THIS what you're looking for? Or THIS?

thanks for the advice. i dont know why i never think of ebay, but i just looked there, they have only one but its for an 85-89, do you think that will work?

Try Collectors Auto Sales (888)772-7848. It will help if you talk your GM dealer out of the part number to avoid any confusion.