NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

When You Start Your Engine....

Guest UVETTYA

Starting Options  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest UVETTYA

Do you turn the key to ON and let everything boot up before starting the engine, or do you just put the key in and start the engine?

Do you turn the key to ON and let everything boot up before starting the engine, or do you just put the key in and start the engine?

What is this key of which you speak?

Smart azz!!! :lol

Guest Kens06

I put the key in, let the seat and mirrors come to takeoff position and start the car.

Now I let the car idle for a few while I buckle up and get comfy!!

After a scan of the gauges, it's time to select 1st and procede.

The process from start to movement is about 30 sec or so, because I hate the "ding-ding-ding"

'Traction control warming up' DIC message!! The usual result of just firing up and taking off, especially if you turn the steering wheel right away like exiting a parking lot requires!!

Ken

Glad to see I'm not the only smartazz. You beat me to the punch! :thumbs

Marana Rich

Glad to see I'm not the only smartazz. You beat me to the punch! :thumbs

ME THREE. I guess it is nice to just push the button and let all them things happen.

I don't know that letting everything "boot" up really does anything. After all, when the motor turns over, everthing goes blank anyway...waiting for engine power to come up.

Also, fuel pressure only takes about half a second to get to max when you turn the key, so there's no real reason to wait for that either.

:2cents

Sean

:lol My sentiments exactly

Guest Kens06
I don't know that letting everything "boot" up really does anything. After all, when the motor turns over, everthing goes blank anyway...waiting for engine power to come up.

Also, fuel pressure only takes about half a second to get to max when you turn the key, so there's no real reason to wait for that either.

Sean

So you have never had a TC/AH warming up message that temporarily throws you into 'limp mode'??

My bad, how would you recognize that scenerio as anything but normal!!

Ken

Sean

So you have never had a TC/AH warming up message that temporarily throws you into 'limp mode'??

Ken

I used to get them all the time on my C5, especially when I was in a hurry leaving work. Haven't seen it on the C6 yet.

Guest UVETTYA

Sean

Ken

:smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

Ta-tump!

I read once 3 years ago on Z06vette.com that it's best to let all the computers boot up before starting the engine. So I've been doing that for 3 yrs now. But Sean makes a good point that everything boots up again anyway when you start the engine. :toetap

I bought a Laptrax TracActive Controller some time ago, which you can program to place your car in any traction mode you want (comp mode, TC/AH ON, or TC/AH OFF) when you start the car. It also clears the DIC after 10 seconds. This is a great help at the drag strip when you forget to turn off TC. :eek

The problem I was having was that when I would turn the ignition on and wait for the computers to boot up, the Laptrax would do it's thing, and then when I started the car, the Laptrax would not reset again, prolly because of the way it's wired, but the TC computer would reset and default to TC/AH ON. :toetap

So that's why I was asking about how you guys start your cars. I guess I'll just start it from now on and enjoy the convenience of the Laptrax. Duh. :cone

Tanks for the feedback!

Guest AZ Power & Sound

vettes have keys :eek

Ken

No, my TC/AH system works perfectly. It comes on quite frequently while driving her :burnout but she has not given me a "warming up" message since I got all things sqaured away. Sounds like you're the only one with that "limp mode" probem. You know, there is a pill for that condition. :willy

I can jump in and turn the key to start with no warnings popping up either, but I like to let the needles settle back on zero before I crank it most of the time.

Jammye say's she just cranks with no waiting, and gets no warnings either!

Guest UVETTYA
I just get in pust the button and go. Never had any troubles. :D

Thanks everyone for your comments.

So, you C6 folks, when you "pust" the button, what do you see? Do the gauges sweep, like they do on a C5?

So, you C6 folks, when you "pust" the button, what do you see? Do the gauges sweep, like they do on a C5?

Yup. Gauges cycle, all the lights come on, and you are reminded that Corvettes are made by Chevrolet.

Yup. Gauges cycle, all the lights come on, and you are reminded that Corvettes are made by Chevrolet.

You forgot that for us old guys it will remind you of your name if you personalize your DIC.

Wait, that didn't sound good did it??? :lol

You forgot that for us old guys it will remind you of your name if you personalize your DIC.

Wait, that didn't sound good did it??? :lol

:smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

Guess you old timers need some reminding eh? :willy

I push the start button on the remote twice and then get in the car...I don't know what it's doing in the mean time. :thumbs Robert :burnout

Guest UVETTYA
I push the start button on the remote twice and then get in the car...I don't know what it's doing in the mean time. :thumbs Robert :burnout

It's PFM! :smilelol

I just turn the key, fire it up, let it idle for the time it takes me to check and make sure oily pressure is up (old habit) ..then off we go.

I never got any warnings at all until the couple weeks before replacing the alternator.. started throwing 'charge system fault' intermittently ..gradually worked up to gettin that every time I started up and began seeing it at idle at stoplights an such.

Since alternator and battery change ... no codes at all.

Anytime.

-Frank an Kathy