NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Anyone Want To Sand Down A Corvette?

84vette

so i found the guy that is going to paint my car for free, all i need to do is buy the paint and get it down to the fiberglass.

i found out real quick today after cutting deep into the fiberglass and showing the fibers that i am not doing this work, i will mess it up. is there anyone out there looking for a weekend project?

so i found the guy that is going to paint my car for free, all i need to do is buy the paint and get it down to the fiberglass.

i found out real quick today after cutting deep into the fiberglass and showing the fibers that i am not doing this work, i will mess it up. is there anyone out there looking for a weekend project?

I can't help with the sanding, but everything I've read says not to sand through the gel coat. The get coat covers the fibers and keeps them from getting exposed.

i have been playing with it all day....first i tried a pressure washer to get the loose paint off...but it also took a little fiberglass with the paint so i stopped that quickly, then i heard a razor blade would take the paint off, but once again i was too worried about the fiberglass, so for the last 3 hours i have been sanding it down to the original paint...i have about 6 layers of primer, paint and clearcoat to go through just to get to the original paint....the car has been painted way too many times, and not once the correct way...

i was just looking for help or advice for when i get down to the last layer, for when i start thinking about spraying it.

if i figure out how to post pics i will load a few on here to show what i am working with.

I've heard people mostly use chemical paint strippers or plastic media blasting. It may be lots of hard work to sand it down by hand...

from teh c3 days do NOT use any chemical stripper.

You have to super through to rinse off any resdue left in the cracks or it will kill you when laying over the paint.

bad idea.

and messy.

Search the c3 forum and read up on the razor blade method. It is much eaiser than you think.

The C3 guys perfer that method and there cars have more curves than yours.

Rember most of the skill in making a great paint job is not painting its the prep work.

good luck cheers

chad

after experimenting and sanding for about 5 hours today it looks like i will be giving the razor blade technique one more try. i just finished reading about the methods and everything on the other forum.

• 2 weeks later...

i just returned from one of the chevy dealerships in town. they gave me a quote on painting my car. they want $5,670 and two months to do it. the price is almost exactly what i expected, i was thinking $6000 but the two months seemed a little long.

after experimenting and sanding for about 5 hours today it looks like i will be giving the razor blade technique one more try. i just finished reading about the methods and everything on the other forum.

So did the razor blade deal work any better for ya?

it worked great on the hood where the paint was falling off. but progress has slowed down considerable since i started working on the doors.

On sanding:

Hours you spend all depend on what grit you choose to work with and the tools you are usin.

With 'glas, you will probably have to have gelcoat re-applied if you are into the fiber here an there .. but .. it all sands down to glas smooth anyway :)

For hand sanding, I'd start with 280 then 320 then 400 ..using primer as I go to help fill and smooth when yer into the 400 :)

Take yer time , check often .. when yer thru the multiple paint layers (and 280 will go thru old paint layers fast) switch to 320 to smooth it, etc.

-Frank (friend useda use a big disc sander with 80 grit .. but .. he was *FAST* with it also ..he did it for a livin for a long time)

STOP, don't go to a stealership. Many contract out anyway.

Call Joe at Classice Gold. He's on the forum...'sloryde' if I'm not mistaken. I'll try and find you his addy and phone.

Many here willl tell you the same thing.

Found it:

Classic Gold Auto Center

317 S Rockford Dr

Tempe, AZ 85281

(480) 967-2521

I am by no means a paint/body expert. I have read however, that there are some epoxy primers that can eliminate the need for the gel coat step. Ask a pro, though.

Desertdawg

:agree / Sean

At least give Joe a call, if he can't work out a deal with you on a repaint, he should be able to tell you where to get a decent deal elsewhere!!

I had Joe fix my daughters truck after it was keyed all down the passenger side (door and rear fender), I can't see a difference in the shade, or any of the repairs done... Fantastic work!!!!

I have always been told that you NEVER strip a corvette by sanding it. I was told that you should use chemicals to strip it, and to be sure you clean the glass peridically with lacquer thinner (I believe). If you do not clean it then the stripper will get into to the glass and the paint will not adhere and bubble up after it is painted.

Of course if were to see mine you could tell that I am not speaking from experience. From what I can tell the car has been 3 different colors and no paint has every been stripped. It was originally Mosport Green and then was painted Red and now is dark blue. When you become the expert, then we can talk about your doing mine. (ha ha).:)

umm ..

I have helped prep a friends '65 327 roadster for his new paint by 'sanding' it, primering it, and hittin it with 400 along with a tac rag just before pushin it into the paint booth.

Opinions vary :)

-Frank

Frank, that must have been tedious but probably well worth while. I know if it was me sanding I'd be there forever taking my time and worrying everytime I placed the paper to the body. I think someone is looking for a "quick fix" that is not going to happen. Like fine wine and beautiful women it takes time to mold them to our dispicable ways. :lol:lol:lol:lol I've never seen a Vette preped for paint but it would be interesting to get a pros comments and views on how to do this.

no quick fix here, i knew when i started it that if i was going to do it myself it would be next year some time when i finished.....i guess what i should do is buy a second vette so i can stand letting this one sit in the garage while i work on it. i could find a better one than what i am driving now for the same price as painting mine.

At the risk of being off topic I offer you this.......

That is true Brian. But, would another Vette take away the hours and excitement of the one you are working on? The nights you've lied awake in bed thinking about what it is going to look like when it is finally completed? We have all been through exactly what you are going through. Mine was an ECM that drove me to the point I was ready to give the car away just so I could sleep. I struggled on and on for over 7 months curing the problem. What I once wanted to go away I now could never get rid of. I'm not being a smart azz with my comment about "quick fix" but I know if you could that Vette would be 100% by tomorrow morning. The key here is patience and loving every stroke you give the Vette with sand paper in hand. Besides, getting another Vette will probably just double your trouble. :D Keep the faith and you will surely be rewarded. No I'm not religious......I may be just the lunitic you're looking for :crazy

All the best, John :thumbs

i know exactly what you are saying. it is just that i am worried right now that i will rush everything when restoring it and i wont be happy when it is complete, so the second car is just something to drive while i restore this one. besides you can never have too many corvettes :D. i can not see myself ever getting rid of this car no matter how many problems it has.....its my first corvette, i cant get rid of it.

Couldn't have said it better .. every 'project car' I've owned I have felt the same way about.

I have had 2 and 3 'project cars' at the same time ..it drives you crazy because one is always being 'neglected' ..there's always something that needs to be done .. always :)

Having one to dedicate time and effort on is enough.

I have used chemical stripper on 2 cars ..metal ones ..it never seems to do the whole job, and its very messy :)

(dont rub yer eyes if you have any on yer fingers, yanno? :)

I prefer sanding .. using the grade of paper I need to get where I wanna be along with a block to keep my fingers from sanding grooves in.

If its a curvy surface I used a flexible sanding block (even a soft sponge block :)

If it's gotta be by hand, then I have to use the palm, not the fingers.

Grooves suck :)

-Frank

• 3 weeks later...

the 84 is gone.........i couldnt do it myself, finally took it in to have the paint done by a pro. just wanted everyone to know this so you dont do anything fun until i get it back.

Great news. I bet you feel better. Before you couldn't sleep thinking about it. Now you won't sleep wondering how the hell your going to pay for it. :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

• 1 month later...