NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Traction Control

Guest lovinglife

Guest lovinglife

I have a 1997 and I just replaced the water pump, both serpentine belts, and the upper and lower hose. It seems everything checked out fine. So today I take the vette to work and I am cruising along and I step on the gas and I get "engine power reduced" and "service traction control". Check engine light and traction control light come on. I can't accelerate. I pull over check under the hood and don't see anything serious. I start the car back and I have a check engine light and no traction control light. I can accelerate. Any ideas? Bob

Check your airbridge into your intake. You may have a piece not on correctly and you are sucking in air uncontrolled.

Just a thought.

Check what codes show up on your DIC. If you threw a code or 2 that may point you in the right direction.

Guest lovinglife
Check what codes show up on your DIC. If you threw a code or 2 that may point you in the right direction.

I have error codes for the TCS C1255 &C1278 also PCM 1281 & 1571

Did you by chance get any of the leads on your EBCM wet or damage a connector? It's right at the front of the motor.

I will look up your codes more specifically in my manuals when I get a chance.

Here's a site that gives a description of all codes

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm

C1255 EBTCM Internal Malfunction

C1278 TCS Temporarily Inhibited By PCM

P1281 APP Sensor 2 Circuit Performance

P1571 ASR Desired Torque

Now just figure out what that means?

Guest lovinglife
Did you by chance get any of the leads on your EBCM wet or damage a connector? It's right at the front of the motor.

I will look up your codes more specifically in my manuals when I get a chance.

What is the EBCM? I did the pull the fuel rail covers and wash the engine.

C1255: This is an internal failure of the EBTCM. Only thing you might be able to do is "Make sure the integrity of the connection between the EBTCM and the BPMV is secure, tight, and free from corrosion. Check for damaged, pushed out, or miswired terminals." Everything else takes scan tools.

C1278: "This code is for information only. It indicates there are no problems in the ABS/TCS/Active handling system, is used as an aid to the technician."

P1281: AAP or Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. This sensor is internally connected to the TP (throttle position sensor) through the TAC (throttle actuator control). "When the TAC module detects a condition within the TAC system, more than one TAC System related DTC may set" In other words, this could be a sympathetic trip.

P1571: ASR Desired Torque Circuit.

"The following may cause an intermittent:

- Poor connections

- Corrosion

- Mis-routed harness

-Rubbed through insulation

- Broken wire inside insulation"

With all that said; I would definitely look at your EBTCM module, wires, harness, connections etc and look for anything out of the ordinary.

Seems that most of these could be sympathetic to the other and if you fix one the others may clear.

Hope this helps.

Sean

It's actually the EBTCM...Electronic Brake Traction Control Module.

Guest lovinglife

C1255: This is an internal failure of the EBTCM. Only thing you might be able to do is "Make sure the integrity of the connection between the EBTCM and the BPMV is secure, tight, and free from corrosion. Check for damaged, pushed out, or miswired terminals." Everything else takes scan tools.

C1278: "This code is for information only. It indicates there are no problems in the ABS/TCS/Active handling system, is used as an aid to the technician."

P1281: AAP or Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. This sensor is internally connected to the TP (throttle position sensor) through the TAC (throttle actuator control). "When the TAC module detects a condition within the TAC system, more than one TAC System related DTC may set" In other words, this could be a sympathetic trip.

P1571: ASR Desired Torque Circuit.

"The following may cause an intermittent:

- Poor connections

- Corrosion

- Mis-routed harness

-Rubbed through insulation

- Broken wire inside insulation"

With all that said; I would definitely look at your EBTCM module, wires, harness, connections etc and look for anything out of the ordinary.

Seems that most of these could be sympathetic to the other and if you fix one the others may clear.

Hope this helps.

Sean

It's actually the EBTCM...Electronic Brake Traction Control Module.

Thank you for the help I check these things out.

:thumbs Let us know how it's going. We'll see what else we can figure out if you don't find anything.

This Link will help give you an idea where it's at and what it looks like.

Guest UVETTYA
sounds like moisture got into the connectors.

-Frank

Yep. Sounds like that to me too. If everything was fine until you pulled the fuel rail covers and hosed down the engine, then it's prolly just wet. Get an air hose and blow dry everything you got wet and see if that doesn't take care of it.

They say if you MUST wash the engine, just use an open hose, no nozzle or pressure and avoid the electronics.

Guest lovinglife

Well I guess I will chalk this one up to a learning experience. The gremlins seem to have left the car! I guess when I took off the fuel rail cavers and washed my engine I did get something wet! I cleared the codes and drove home last night with no problems. I drove it again today to work no problems, no codes! I thank you all for the inputs I learn a lot about my car. I have had the car for two and a half years and the last two days I have learned lots about it. I hope to see some of you on the Tombstone run! Bob

Well I guess I will chalk this one up to a learning experience. The gremlins seem to have left the car! I guess when I took off the fuel rail cavers and washed my engine I did get something wet! I cleared the codes and drove home last night with no problems. I drove it again today to work no problems, no codes! I thank you all for the inputs I learn a lot about my car. I have had the car for two and a half years and the last two days I have learned lots about it. I hope to see some of you on the Tombstone run! Bob

Glad it all worked out. That's what this forum is all about Bob. :thumbs

Cool. :cool Sounds like your EBTCM took on some water and dried out. I'd still take a look at the connections to make sure they are "weather proofed" just incase you find yourself in a monsoon one day. :thumbs

This has happened to me more than once. It's no big deal once you let the car sit for 5min or so you'll be back on the road in no time.

Where is the EBTCM located in the car?