NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

R12 To R134

Guest cooljoe57

Speedratchet
Hey, has any one here done a conversion yet? What's every one's opinion on the r12 to r134 retrofit kits, like this one.

Don't use any 134a that has sealer in it. A lot of shops will do a sealer test before they will service your vehicle. If it tests positive, they won't service your vehicle because it will screw up their machine. The price 0f R-12 has come down a lot, so if it were me, I'd keep it stock for now.

I agree, it worth the couple of extra bucks to stay with R12 for now. I kept mine R12 because I had a guy show me the difference in cooling with the two, and the 12 was about 10 degrees cooler on a 110 day

I did the conversion on my 86 and now I am regretting it. It is not cool enough for the heat of AZ and I am up north!! Thinking about going back, just not sure what I need to replace yet, if anything.

Guest cooljoe57

Assuming theres no leaks in the system on average on long does the r12 last in the system? I really don't want to convert it but if I'm filling up r12 every 6 months then it would be cheaper to just retrofit the car now. Ive got a few quotes around town on r12 per lb and the cheapest ive found so far is 40 dollars a lb.

Speedratchet
Assuming theres no leaks in the system on average on long does the r12 last in the system? I really don't want to convert it but if I'm filling up r12 every 6 months then it would be cheaper to just retrofit the car now. Ive got a few quotes around town on r12 per lb and the cheapest ive found so far is 40 dollars a lb.

A tight system should last several years. I would suggest that you put dye in to the system and have it charged. A small leak will be easy to identify with a black light. A common place for leaks is at your service ports. Change the schrader valves out at the time you have it serviced.

Ultimately any gas in an enclosed system should last forever. Unless it leaks out, or the system has a failure(compressor) then there's no reason R12 won't do it's job for many years.

I agree with Speedratchet, get it serviced at a reputable shop and they should be able to get your AC working....

I use FREEZE 12. No conversions. There a several like products. I've had it running in my 85 K-10 for several years. :D

Speedratchet
I use FREEZE 12. No conversions. There a several like products. I've had it running in my 85 K-10 for several years. :D

Freeze 12 is 80% 134a. It does work, but it is best to either stay with R12

or do a conversion to 134a.

phxscooby101

Well i can offer some information on this subject.

1. I personally will stay with R-12 for my 92 as most conversions suck with the new refrigerants like the 134a conversions. The problem is the condensers need upgrading to accomidate the addtional heat accociated with 134a freon and its operating pressures, also the compressor will die sooner because of the lack of cooling back to the compressor and the oils don't crossover very nicely.

2. You can use hot shot which requires no upgrades to the compressor and metering devices and condensers. I believe the only hazard is it is flammable and costs are very close to r-12 so go figure.

3. You can use 409a refrigerant, from what I heard this matches r-12 cooling capacity's and no modifications to anything. Except from my understanding you are only supposed to use a total of 80% of what is needed in the system. Price is real cheap but you can only buy it in 30lb cans.

As for me everyone knows I have always sweated my butt off the last summer because I have gotten lazy in putting the damn freon in my own car :lol.

For testing pump nitrogen into the system pressurize to 150lbs and close system. Watch gauges for 30mins if no drop in pressure occurs proceed in venting and draw into a vaccum for 30mins. If you perform this 3 times you system will love you. Then add the proper freon and call it a day.

All cars do exibit leaking thru the rubber hoses but again this takes a while to occur.

As for you house A/C it should never need r-22 except during regular servicing intervals since gauges need to be hooked up but again that will take some time to occur, also all residential A/C units have copper lines so they should last forever. Ok I'm done now. :bang:bang:bang

Final Effort

My 88 needs topped off. Who can I take it to that I can trust?

In PHX area.

Guest cooljoe57

Not sure where you are, but theres a place in Tucson called Auto Tech, they do great work and are trustworthy, or atleast they have been for me.

Living in Tempe, your pretty close to Joe (sloryde) Just give him a call....

Classic Gold Auto Center

317 S Rockford Dr

Tempe, AZ 85281

(480) 967-2521

BUT, don't you dare plan to be there on Tuesday, I have to take mine in for another look at the compressor, and I already have that day reserved!