NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C3 Rear Spring Question

Ted Y

The rear spring arrived today. The front springs shipped late and should be here Monday. Anyone up for a Corvette Saturday/Sunday on some old Chevy iron? I need to see about getting a coil compresser to change the fronts...

The rear spring arrived today. The front springs shipped late and should be here Monday. Anyone up for a Corvette Saturday/Sunday on some old Chevy iron? I need to see about getting a coil compresser to change the fronts...

I'd be willing to help...but the schedule is hit and miss right now with a trip to Cali coming up.

My front springs are in! The rear looks pretty easy to replace. The fronts are more involved... I need to get a coil compresser and a good torque wrench. Obviously, there's no real rush on this with the weather so hot.

Sundays work best for me. I'll have to look at my schedule and post some possible dates. I can have people over to my place so we don't have to work around a hot engine and exhaust.

I don't know the torques you will need, but I have a Husky 100 ft/lb torque wrench available. :yesnod

Feel like doing it tomorrow? I have all the tools you need..... Torque wrenches, spring compressor and a portable A/C so it won't get blazing hot in the garage. Let me know.

602/762.0348

Andrew

I can do it tomorrow, BUT, I found out that my alternator bracket is cracked and bent. Don't know how. That's another thing to fix. The car is not driveable until then. Y'all are welcome to come by my place though. Hopefully the local Auto Zone has a bracket...

I can also do Monday.

EDIT: Due to the late notice, I'm not counting on anyone being able to come by. I'll try to get out of bed early enough to go to Auto Zone about the alt bracket before its too hot. I also need to get some torx sockets. I'm definitely going to try to start on the alternator tomorrow.

Ted

11979 W Pima St

Avondale, AZ (MC85 and 119th Av)

602 705 sixty eight sixty six

This is my first time on your forum as I have just move into the area. I have tried twice to respond to your question, but have been unsuccessful, Hopefully it works this time.

I have experience with corvette suspensions and have a couple of concerns and questions on your issue. I composed a long memo in response, but the system did not seem to respond and post it for some reason. This time I will be quick and we can discuss your concern further if the spring replacement does not address the issue. There are several things that could cause what you are seeing. While it may be good to go ahead and replace the springs, this :howdy may not take care of your concern. Let me know if the issue is resolved, if not then I will give you some more things to look at. Bottom line is you should not measure to a point on the fiberglass but rather to a point on the frame. Fiberglass can be warpped and cause the issue you are seeing.

Look forward to your response.

Thanks for the response, Vic. I did in fact measure the ground clearance to the bottom of the frame rails and it was low. We replaced the rear spring today and the ride was MUCH higher. I took it for a shake down drive and it came more into line. It looks like the fiberglass spring replacement needs to break in a little to settle the ride height.

I will attempt the fronts on a cooler month. The old spring definitely had it's day and is now done.

Ted

Once you replace the front springs, there is one measurement that you should make. There is a bolt that mounts the control arm to the frame (located in the fender well right behind the door). This is the pivot point for your control arm. Measure the height of the of that pin, and adjust the spring bolts until the height is equal on both sides. There is also a setting for the height of this pivot point verses the center of your rear wheel, but I am not sure if you want to get into that aspect of the set up.

Keep me posted on your progress.