NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Attn: Detail Gurus

TEXAZC6

Mama is taking care of me for Father's Day.

Which Porter Cable kit would you go with. I'd like (read she would like) to stay under 200. Which kit would you go with under 200 and which one is the best overll value.

Lastly, when will someone come show me how to use it, lol :yesnod

Porter cable kits

Marana Rich

Thanks for the great idea! So now I can get the great deal Sidewinder linked up, and we can compare the best shine!

Here's the way I did it and then you can get the pads, polish, etc a little at a time and she'll think she got away cheap.

Porter Cable 7424

Here's the way I did it and then you can get the pads, polish, etc a little at a time and she'll think she got away cheap.

Porter Cable 7424

BTW, this is the ONLY time I'll be taking advice from the "Black" sheep squadron. If anyone knows anything about keeping cars clean it is you guys.

After all, black isn't a color, it is a part-time job. :crazy

I believe you have received all good advise above. Let us know when you get it, then we can set up a detail day.

Phil... :devil

I went with the ebay PC and ordered the pads and stuff from autodetailsolutions.com

With the Meguiar's PC you get a lifetime warranty, I didn't think it was worth the extra cost.

May I correct you? Full time job :crazy:crazy

:withstupid but we love it! :thumbs

May I correct you? Full time job :crazy:crazy

:withstupid but we love it! :thumbs

:agree I must, I still hand wash/wax/detail all three here. No buffers. Maybe why the 'vette has swirlies on the hood too...I blame it on the previous owner and it'll turn ten this year. :lol

When's this detail day? :toetap:lol

:agree Dean. I do all my stuff by hand too. I don't get swirl marks and neither will anyone else if they use the right clothes. I use (probably everyone else does too) 100% cotton made in USA. Nowhere else. If it says 100% and is made in Pakistan it's 100% :bs But, I'm always looking for better ways. If you want to get rid of the swirl marks give it a bath in Dawn Dishwashing soap and make sure you rinse very well then rewash in something else and start all over with new wax. Dawn will completely disolve any wax on the vehicle and restarting from scratch will make those ugly swirls go Bye Bye. YMHO

John,

I hate to say this, but you should avoid using common dish washing detergents because these products are extremely harsh and tend to dull the finish down with each use. Dish soaps are also hard on other materials and components such as rubber, vinyl and plastics, remember, when you wash your car with dish soap everything is subjected to the dulling and drying effects high alkaline soaps cause to your vehicle.

Car wash products are specially formulated to clean well without stripping wax protection or dulling and drying out all paint types. It is not a question of the dishwashing detergent hurting the finish. Dishwashing detergent has "degreasers" in the formulation, for obvious reasons, to remove oily film, etc from the dishes and pans. A car wash shampoo does not. This means that when you wash with a dishwashing detergent you are going to degrease the finish, meaning you will remove any wax that is on the surface.

And I'll add, this from Dawn's website Q&A:

Question: Can I wash my car with dishwashing detergent?

Answer: Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don't recommend them for cleaning your car.

I don't use car wash soap to wash my dishes and I won't use dish soap to wash my car.

Towels, have you ever heard of a microfiber towel???

Guest Kens06
And I'll add, this from Dawn's website Q&A:

Question: Can I wash my car with dishwashing detergent?

Answer: Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don't recommend them for cleaning your car.

I don't use car wash soap to wash my dishes and I won't use dish soap to wash my car.

OK Dwayne,

How about this quote from Zaino's website FAQ.

Q: I've heard nothing but good things about Zaino products. I'd like a show car finish. What products do I need?

A: For the ultimate in show car appearance, it is vital to get the cleanest and smoothest finish possible. We recommend washing the car with original blue Liquid Dawn only for this initial cleaning. Once you have your vehicle completely washed, follow up with the Z-18 Claybar, to remove any surface contamination. Follow up the Z-18 Claybar with a thorough wash using our Z-7 Show Car Wash.

Now John didn't say to do it all the time, just to get to fresh paint and rewash in milder solution!!

He pretty much quoted Zaino!!

I do agree with the microfiber towels though, they are fantastic and need their own specific detergent also!!

Ken

:agree That is what I meant to say. Sorry. After the initial wash with dawn, never use diswashing soap on the vehicle. I use Zaino pro wash.

The only time I would consider using dishwashing soap, is if the car was covered in grease, or something else that just had to come off. Using it just to say you are starting from scratch, well I can achieve the same results with a claybar, and not harm the paint at the same time.

I've gone round and round with Sal zaino's reps in the past on the CF, and it's just not worth arguing with a person over the brand of polish they use. But I just felt it was worth my time to explain the harm you could do using harsh dishwashing soap.

:eek KEEP IN MIND.....WHEN WASHING DISHES IN YOUR SINK W/DISHSOAP, WHAT HAPPENS TO THE GREASE? - THE SAME THING IS GONNA HAPPEN TO THE 2HR WAX JOB YOU JUST DID LAST WEEKEND!

That's true but what if you use paper plates :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol just kidding! Thanks for the advice and if you don't mind me saying TURN YOUR CAPS OFF they make your messages hard to read. Also, welcome aboard.

John

if you don't mind me saying TURN YOUR CAPS OFF they make your messages hard to read.

:agree It's also like you're YELLING! :D

Marana Rich

if you don't mind me saying TURN YOUR CAPS OFF they make your messages hard to read.

:agree It's also like you're YELLING! :D

:agree Yes, it makes my ears hurt when I am reading.

So what about when your filling up with petro and the damn pump burps all down the side of your fender? I assume this also strips the wax off, will a wash and rewax be sufficient enough or is there any extra special care needed? Is anyone planning a detail day soon, heck I'd be willing to host if anyones interested.....

Wipe up the spilled gas ASAP, and usually a spritz with detailing spray will be ok at the time.

Next time you wash, going over the area with some wax will be fine.

No one has setup a date for a detail day yet, and now that its getting warmer out, it's going to be harder to get eveyone excited about coming out and sweating.