NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Overheating With Bra On?

1jester

My vette overheated today after a short road trip. I usually only put the bra on during a trip, and it warms it up a little. Today it was 107 degrees farhenheit ouutside and my coolant temp hit 240. I wonder if the superchips that was installed, added to the heating? any comments? Mike

I can't see how a bra would cause overheating on a C5. Unless it covers the air intake area under the nose of your car.

These cars do run hot. Mine will get upwards of 235* sitting in traffic on a hot day.

Check and see if something might have gotten sucked up against your A/C condenser or radiator . My C-4 had an overheat problem when I bought it come to find out the electric fan had sucked a plastic bag up in between my radiator and the condenser and was blocking a large part of it. If you don’t find any thing look for the usual, a fan problem, coolant temp sensor or thermostat. good luck

Robert and Elizabeth

We haven't had an issue with ours either. I agree with Jefro on what could cause an overheat issue. We had a plastic bag blocking the air intake causing an overheat issue in our 01 WS6 Trans Am. Felt pretty embarrased when the service manager pulled it out. :cone:lol

I ran for over a year with a bra on my C5 when I had it and it never caused overheating. I'm with the rest. get down under it and see if you didn't vacuum something off the roadway. Also I took the radiator support off mine once and ran a hose dow between the radiator and a/c condensor. You wouldn't believe the dirt, sand, leaves and pine needles I blew out. 240 in heavy traffic is not unheard of on a stock C5.

I ran for over a year with a bra on my C5 when I had it and it never caused overheating. I'm with the rest. get down under it and see if you didn't vacuum something off the roadway. Also I took the radiator support off mine once and ran a hose dow between the radiator and a/c condensor. You wouldn't believe the dirt, sand, leaves and pine needles I blew out. 240 in heavy traffic is not unheard of on a stock C5.

:agree

When I did some work around there on mine, I managed to clean about two pounds of dirt from the radiator and condensor. Made one huge pile under the car when I swept it up. Take a rubber mallet and tap the bottom corner of the radiator and watch the dirt fall. These radiators will collect just about anything that makes it up there and hold onto it.

Do you also have a "performance" hood seal on the car? I had one and with the Speed Lingerie bra I ran noticeably hotter. Removed hood seal and things cooled back down. I think with the 2 of them together, no air at all was gettin in. I also agree with the others and checkin up underneath the radiator area for debris....these thing are Hoovers you know. :willy

Guest Sidewinder
Check and see if something might have gotten sucked up against your A/C condenser or radiator . My C-4 had an overheat problem when I bought it come to find out the electric fan had sucked a plastic bag up in between my radiator and the condenser and was blocking a large part of it. If you don’t find any thing look for the usual, a fan problem, coolant temp sensor or thermostat. good luck

Also, the superchip probably did advance your timing. Swaping out the t-stat to a lower degree one is very easy.

When I did some work around there on mine, I managed to clean about two pounds of dirt from the radiator and condensor. Made one huge pile under the car when I swept it up. Take a rubber mallet and tap the bottom corner of the radiator and watch the dirt fall. These radiators will collect just about anything that makes it up there and hold onto it.

I've sucked up bags before, so I checked and saw none with a mirror. If I can get it on a rack, I'll blow out the junk and see what comes out. I went up to Strawberry this weekend and they had a cow pasture to park in for the Strawberry festival. could be more stuff that I didn't see. thanks. mike