NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Moving To Mesa Soon, Vehicle Registration Question

Harris

We will be moving to Mesa soon and have a question about registering our vehicles. Do they have to be inspected? I have after market air cleaner systems on the Vette and truck, do I need to change back to stock for a day? Looking forward to meeting this group, sounds like you have some good events. Thanks, Harris

Guest 88JDO

Coming in from out of state your vehicle would have to be inspected. They check vin # .The emission test is a exhaust pipe sniff and gas cap inspection and they may check visually under the hood. I'd replace aftermarket stuff with stock just to be safe. And bring your check book or cash, it isn't cheap in Arizona, it's based on base price when new then gradually depreciated.

You should be fine with the Air Cleaners. The emissions test is $27.50 and make sure your motor is good and warm when there. No problem doing that because it is AZ. Don't let it idle while in line just make sure you are up to operating temps. Idling will cause the cat to load up and the folks doing the test aren't the sharpest pencils in the box. The speed test they use is a free wheel roller.

Bend over and grab your ankles to get your plate and tags if it is a newer Vette. My 84 cost me $36 because there is no value.... According to the MVD anyway.

As 88jdo pointed out the inspection is a piece of cake.

Bend over and grab your ankles to get your plate and tags if it is a newer Vette. My 84 cost me $36 because there is no value.... According to the MVD anyway.

The tags for my 02 were over $500 just to prepare you. Taxes are way cheaper though. State has to get the revenue somewhere. :howdy:

Guest Kod_X

From experience. Make sure you know where your VINs are for the inspection. If they are damaged,scratched or hidden in anyway they will need to perform a level 2 inspection. It cost 25 dollars (IIRC) for the level 2.

The level 1 person was a bonehead. Granted this was for my motorcyle but still, I wouldn't want anyone to go through that process. :)

aftermarket air cleaners are ok, as long as the breather from the valve cover is routed to the air cleaner. You can not have an "open" breather or PCV system on any year car or truck. They will fail you in a heartbeat for that one.

aftermarket air cleaners are ok, as long as the breather from the valve cover is routed to the air cleaner. You can not have an "open" breather or PCV system on any year car or truck. They will fail you in a heartbeat for that one.

Thanks, sounds like it won't be a problem. I have a Blackwing on the Corvette and a Tru-Flow system on my truck.

Guest chadman

Depends on the year of the vehicles. They don't even open the hood on my 68, I popped and the guy said "we don't even look under the hood". What year are your vehicles? I believe that 97 and up are just a plug into the ecm.