NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

[Review] Big Mouth Air Dam

Togo

i'm simply copying and pasting my review from CF (with a few edits)

and please note - my install instructions are for a 1992 C4 - so i don't know how the install will be for you C5 bozos! :rolf

First off - Eric is absolutely a selfless man, talking me through the install and just chatting for more than a half hour last weekend!

:cheers: Eric - with customer service like that, you WILL go far!

you can contact him here

www.C4orceCorvette.com[ or C4orceCorvette@charter.net

he can also be reached at 864-335-9043

let me preface this by saying this would be a LOT easier with an additional pair of hands - so i suggest getting a friend to assist - however, it's not totally necessary, but would definitely save time in the end.

ok, on to the good stuff.

I ordered what i'll call a "blemished" unit, as it was discounted and Eric represented it to be NOT perfect - however when it showed up, i noticed NOTHING wrong with it - smooth perfect powder coated finish (black) so i'm not exactly sure what he was talking about :crazy:

i removed it from the box and remember reading somewhere that i had to drill holes - this frightened me - as i hate to have to modify anything and am slightly scared to perform modifications - so after that half hour conversation on the phone with Eric, i ventured out the the garage and got started. directions say to install it at a 14-16 degree angle for maximum air flow performance - and he gives you a "template" to follow drawing out a triangle with measurements on the instructions. using a level and placing the angled side of the triangle to the BMAD for a "test fit" before drilling. after test fitting, i drilled 2 holes in the skid bars all the way through (on my application i also chose to drill through the plastic bumper cover that wraps around the skid bars.

he recommend to drill 2 more staggerd holes - 1 on each side of the skid bar for stability - however, i chose to drill a hole in the BMAD(i can provide pictures if necessary)

how i did this was - i removed the center "spoiler" or whatever it is called and there is an aluminum bracket that crosses the whole opening underneath the radiator. i used the middle hole and removed the bolt and used a SILVER sharpie to mark the hole to drill - after drilling, i test fitted again and tried to insert the bolt but it turns out that the angle was off, so i had to open the hole a bit to accomodate the straight bracket on the angled BMAD

i used the bolts, washers (lock and regular) and the nylon threaded lock nut to bolt the outside edge to the inside edge of the skid bars. because i have a 1992, i had to pry the plastic bumper cover (just the part that covers the sides of the skid bars) from 90* back to 180* surprisingly enough, they are VERY FLEXIBLE and i noticed very little stress in the paint where i bent them - but there was "some"

i used a long phillips screwdriver and a small wrench (don't remember if it was metric or SAE) and torqued the nut on.

my "savior" in this was drilling the holes through the plastic bumper cover that covered the skid bars, as i used the hole to put the screwdriver through so i wouldn't have to pry the plastic out of the way to finish assembly (if you choose not to drill through this, i can guarantee it will most difficult to hold the plastic out of the way and drill the holes using the pilot holes in the BMAD )but that extra pair of hands i talked about in the beginning could help - so long as neither of you are afraid of a drill bit through the hand

and before final installation, i affixed the corvette sticker - Eric was nice enough to supply it on the side for me, as i wasn't sure i wanted it attached in the beginning, but it's starting to grow on me!

The following excerpts were taken directly from emails sent between myself and Eric.

Note, this was my BEFORE test

Subj : Big Mouth Performance Air Dam (pre install test results)

prelim runs today - ambient temp 104 A/C ON running in

OD (automatic) at 64 MPH temp was steady at 232 - with

the A/C off temp fluctuated between 224 and 230

saw as high as 248 on the trip though - traffic after

work on a friday afternoon sucks!

i think this was a decent sample, as today was the

hottest day of the year so far - but it will NO DOUBT

get hotter!

Guest golfman

:thumbs: :cheers: Here is a picture of a ZR-1 from the side view !

corvette1987008002.jpg

The BMAD is in the front as you can ( hardly ) see it's unobtrusive ! but only from the front can it be seen ! Always working for you with forward motion ( batteries not included )

:lol:

:thumbs: :cheers: Here is a picture of a ZR-1 from the side view !

corvette1987008002.jpg

The BMAD is in the front as you can ( hardly ) see it's unobtrusive ! but only from the front can it be seen ! Always working for you with forward motion ( batteries not included )

:lol: