NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Emissionsin Tucson....

Guest cooljoe57

Guest cooljoe57

Hey all, im running into a problem with my newly bought 80 vette. So I have the option of paying a few grand to get all of my smog equipment reinstalled (i would have to buy all new stuff seeings how the car came with none.) which of course i dont want to do, for many reasons. I have heard of another possible option, which involves some stuff im not familiar with. This alternative option requires that i ether live or know some one out side of the greater Tucson area, ex. green valley or sierra vista, if i register the vehicle out out of the greater Tucson area i am not required to past emissions testing. Now ive also been informed that if i can get a PO box and i can use the PO box as my mailing address to register the car with.

I apologize if this doesnt make any sense.

thanks,

joe

Desertdawg

Yes you can try registering it out of the testing zone, but you will probably get caught.

Have you looked into getting collector car insurance? yours qualifies as a collector as long as you get it insured that way.

P.S. I little white lie to the insurance company is no worse than a lie to ADEQ.

Just tell them you only use it for shows, parades, and other antique car events, then don't get caught driving it to work...

Phill's Vette

ADEQ SUCKS!!!!!

I've had some really bad run-in with them at my stations and they are only interested in the the mighty dollar - FINES! They SUCK!!

Thank you, I feel better now.

Yes you can try registering it out of the testing zone, but you will probably get caught.

Have you looked into getting collector car insurance? yours qualifies as a collector as long as you get it insured that way.

P.S. I little white lie to the insurance company is no worse than a lie to ADEQ.

Just tell them you only use it for shows, parades, and other antique car events, then don't get caught driving it to work...

:agree that you'll probably get bit if you register out of area-besides, I think the testing zones are all of pima and maricopa counties....doesn't that include sierra vista/green valley? My geography is a little dated and I'm lazy so I didn't look it up.

Anyhoo, the insurance issue can be difficult depending on your driving habits....see the various threads about that drama...

good luck and let us know what you decide!

M~

Guest cooljoe57

Im in the processes of talking to my insurance to see what i can do. I'll let every one know what happens....

coconut girl

Just so you know, I live in Prescott and there is no emissions (Yavapai County) .

Just so you know, I live in Prescott and there is no emissions (Yavapai County) .

The only areas that require emissions is Pima and Maricopa. There used to be an exemption for some areas within Maricopa. I worked with a guy who lived in Buckeye and he had a rural exemption. The way the westside has built up I can only imagine the State has taken those away. Gila Bend is in Maricopa so Dwayne would know if he has to go through it or not.

Guest cooljoe57

Does any one know if the farmers collector car insurance will work with the new law about not having to pass?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cooljoe57

Looks like i'm going with farmers collector car insurance....and should have it all done here in a week....

Desertdawg

Thats cool, I sure hope everything works as planned, keep us posted because I'm sure there's a few others that might be intrested in your progress...

When you find out the requirements/restrictions for the collector car insurance from Farmer's post them on here please. I may be switching before my next emissions renewal.

I've been with State Farm forever, but I'm getting "prison loved" on the Stingray rates. State Farm has very tough restrictions for "Parade Vehicle" status so I went with regular coverage.

Guest cooljoe57

The O' so kind folks at our every so friendly MVD told me that the collector car insurance has to state a limit on the millage per year. Well looks like farmers collector car insurance wont be working to get me around emissions. So looks like im in the market for some Smog parts for the car.

Ted as for the farmers insurance, as long as ur car can pass emissions, i do believe you can register your car the same and just cover it under the farmers collector car insurance. The agent i spoke with about it told me that no where does it limit you on millage per year, it only states that its not to be used for daily commuting to work/school and to be used for pleasure or show/rally/parade etc...

Desertdawg

Couldn't you get the agent to add in a milage limit???? Real sorry to hear it didn't work!

Guest cooljoe57

Well i could get the agent to add it but then im stuck to abide by it. But i want to drive it lol. Just means some work and a little more money.

I thought the whole point of getting collector car insurance was to not HAVE to pass emissions... GRRRR This whole mess drives me nuts on a car that will have less than 2500 miles per year.

I just wanted the freedom to drive whenever and wherever I want. I don't like not being able to drive to work if I want. Heck, my workplace has a gated and guarded parking lot!

Guest cooljoe57

i know tell me about it, i was hoping that it was gonna go....whats the point in owning a car if ur not gonna drive it but 2 times a year....

I don't have "collector" insurance on my '99, but I do get a "lower" rate with the coverage I have. I'm "limited" to 7,500 miles a year to keep the rates I have. I never intended to put more than 5,000 a year on anyway. They even sent a letter at my 1 year mark asking how many miles I had on the car. :lol I had done just over 5,000 so I'm good to go. :thumbs So, I can drive anywhere, anytime...but just gotta watch how much. :lol

I don't have "collector" insurance on my '99, but I do get a "lower" rate with the coverage I have. I'm "limited" to 7,500 miles a year to keep the rates I have. I never intended to put more than 5,000 a year on anyway. They even sent a letter at my 1 year mark asking how many miles I had on the car. :lol I had done just over 5,000 so I'm good to go. :thumbs So, I can drive anywhere, anytime...but just gotta watch how much. :lol

you beat me to this - mine USED TO BE restricted when i was with state farm - now that i'm with geico - my rates are lower (with the SAME coverage) and i have no mileage restriction!

you should check around here about the collector car insurance - there are a few that would work well for what you do - in fact, i thought M had that type on her imaginary vette - am i mistaken about that?

if you really want to scoot around ADEQ find out how to register your car in MEXICO - we all know they aren't required to abide by the laws of the road in arizona (no emissions requirement nor isurance requirement to pass into the US) :leaving

Guest cooljoe57

lol nah i'll just fix my car....just be easier in the long run. I just figured i'd try could get around emissions so i didnt have to put the smog equipment on

Intentionally registering my car in a place that does not require emissions testing when I live in Maricopa County is not something I can do...