NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Porting the heads...finally!

Robert and Elizabeth

Robert and Elizabeth

Well, GM finally has figured out a way to have people port heads on these LS7s. We have to buy completely new heads that come with the valves from GM. You can't buy seperately. So, Mike at AZPS is ordering our new heads/valves from GM. Once they arrive, he has to send them out to be ported. Since this is new territory for Mike, our HP gain is going to be anywhere from 0-60 to the wheels. The heads we have now are already pretty efficient, so the gain may not be much. Then again, it could be quite a bit more. We are the guiney pigs for this. We will update this thread as things progress. Hopefully we will be finished by June. :thumbs

E~

PS-If we get 60HP to the wheels from this, that means we will be looking at around 650HP at the motor!! YeeHa!! :devil

Update: We saw Mike tonight and decided to port the intake manifold and have it port matched to the heads. Should be good for about 10HP.

Grayeagle

Very *cool* :)

The arcane science/magic of porting is all about gettin more air into and out of the motor.

'Factory' has to deal with a lot of compromises, so it seems there are always some areas that can be improved on by aftermarket wizards.

The primary tool is a flow bench, not a grinder :) .. ya gotta know what you have to start with, and what changes actually work.

I've seen Air Flow Research do some amazin things with carb and head porting ..followin their lead I got a pair of Holly 660's to flow 850cfm each (!!) ..along with some other things I did (matching gaskets, hoggin out the tunnel-ram, smoothing transitions from top plate to bottom, template porting the heads) ..really woke up the ol' 440 in my Duster.

I hope whoever is doin the heads hits one outta the park for ya :)

-Frank (interested to know what works .. would be cool if you could get same boost in hp as ..say .. swappin 'powerpack' heads to big-valve 'fuelie' heads on the old school small blocks :)

Gee, talk about HP hogs. :lol Good luck with the new mod.

No kidding!

Has Mike thanked you guys for personally putting his first kid (when he has one) through college?? Oh well, it's just money huh? :lol

Wow, congrats, again! You guys need to seek some help with that addiction, it's gettin' outta hand. :devil

Hey, about the heads....I had just read about these heads and LS7 block from World Products, and man...it's a little over my head, but a very interesting article about building high-hp LS motors....Linkski (Wear your reading glasses, Steve) :D

Keep us all posted on your results, I'm rootin' for 675!

Buccaneer

Wouldn't it just be better to go with an aftermarket head instead? Dart is doing some really cool stuff lately in that area with their new Pro1 Platinum series and probably lots cheaper. Don't know if they make those for your monster Z0 motor though.

Dart is claiming almost 25 more HP over their Pro1 head that I'm using now and I think around 12-14lbs more torque. If you have any left over cash, could you shovel it over my way?? :thumbs I'm thinking a 454sb with crossfire in a C3 would be awesome. :D

Robert and Elizabeth
Wouldn't it just be better to go with an aftermarket head instead? Dart is doing some really cool stuff lately in that area with their new Pro1 Platinum series and probably lots cheaper. Don't know if they make those for your monster Z0 motor though.

Dart is claiming almost 25 more HP over their Pro1 head that I'm using now and I think around 12-14lbs more torque. If you have any left over cash, could you shovel it over my way?? :thumbs I'm thinking a 454sb with crossfire in a C3 would be awesome. :D

The problem is we need the lightweight titanium intake valves to be able to rev to over 7000rpm. I don't believe Dart has this feature.

Phill's Vette

Robert & Elizabeth - Note to selves: Next mod - roll cage w\ 5 point harnesses! :yesnod

Bad Ass just got baaaaader! :cool

How's recovery coming along Elizabeth? I hope good!

Robert and Elizabeth
Robert & Elizabeth - Note to selves: Next mod - roll cage w\ 5 point harnesses! :yesnod

Thanks Phill! That is something we will definitely consider before the ATI Procharger is installed. :yesnod

My recovery is going great. I am down 32lbs already. I got advanced to pureed food Wednesday...Yea! We will be at the car show at Lindsey and Warner tonight. Come on over and chat. Tom will be there too.

Guest AZ Power & Sound

The LS7 head in factory form is flowing 360 CFM, which is about 30 CFM more then even the best ported Dart or AFR head that has been fully machined! :eek Our machinst is seeing close to 400 CFM after porting with the LS7 castings, but its just a matter of time before the aftermarket wizards build a LS7 style casting! World products will be releasing their LS7 style head shortly as well

The LS7 head in factory form is flowing 360 CFM, which is about 30 CFM more then even the best ported Dart or AFR head that has been fully machined! :eek Our machinst is seeing close to 400 CFM after porting with the LS7 castings, but its just a matter of time before the aftermarket wizards build a LS7 style casting! World products will be releasing their LS7 style head shortly as well

:agree Please click on the link in my post above...it's about the World block and heads, awesome stuff.

Good idea. Just be careful with all that power.

Hope that you have a good recovery.

Tom

Grayeagle

Umm .. yer gonna need new badges for the fenders of that beast .. the '505 hp' is misleading the public!

-grin- (not that there's anything *wrong* with that!! )

I read alla World Products stuff on their LS7X block and heads ..

..just frikkin wow.

Up to 481ci LS-based motor that will bolt right into place of any LS motor.

Man .. that has gotta be worth doin :)

What a great base for a blower motor -evil grin- .. I would be willin to bet that AZPS can build-to-suit if they were provided a shoppin list of peices to get .. I wonder if the car would spin the dyno drums right outta their mounts :)

Lookin purty windy an murky out tonite .. so I dint clean up our black bullet .. not gonna go out tonite.

Will be out to the Pavillions tomorrow and to the Lunch on Sunday tho :)

(unless its rainin!)

-Frank an Kathy

• 1 month later...
Robert and Elizabeth

UPDATE

Mike says the ported heads and manifold should be arriving the end of this week. Yea!! :D

Not only will Mike be installing that, but he is also installing 60# fuel injectors as well. :devil

Will post the dyno numbers/pix after Nic is done with it. :thumbs

Sweet. :thumbs

But aren't 60# fuel injectors over kill? Even super chargers/turbos usually only go to 42#. What size are the ones on the LS7 and what are you going to do with them? ;)

Robert and Elizabeth
Sweet. :thumbs

But aren't 60# fuel injectors over kill? Even super chargers/turbos usually only go to 42#. What size are the ones on the LS7 and what are you going to do with them? ;)

I believe they are 40 or 42# injectors. We are replacing them with the 60# ones because with the LS7 Mike says we will definitely need them with a Procharger. We are building this car for the Procharger that will be putting our HP at just over 1000HP at the motor... eventually. He also said we would be borderline on running enough fuel with the current injectors we have now with the 650HP we may have next week. We don't want to be on the dyno and find out we needed bigger fuel injectors. And with the Z needing the bigger ones eventually, we just decided to do it now while he has the motor torn apart. :D

I believe Mike bought our injectors to put on his new 427.

I believe they are 40 or 42# injectors. We are replacing them with the 60# ones because with the LS7 Mike says we will definitely need them with a Procharger. We are building this car for the Procharger that will be putting our HP at just over 1000HP at the motor... eventually. He also said we would be borderline on running enough fuel with the current injectors we have now with the 650HP we may have next week. We don't want to be on the dyno and find out we needed bigger fuel injectors. And with the Z needing the bigger ones eventually, we just decided to do it now while he has the motor torn apart. :D

I believe Mike bought our injectors to put on his new 427.

Wow, that LS7 sure is something. :thumbs

I agree! With 1000hp, you would be in the running for the coveted, "Fastest Street Vette in Arizona" award. I kinda admire your ability to do so much modifying to a brand new car. Not sure I could do it.

Guest UVETTYA
I agree! With 1000hp, you would be in the running for the coveted, "Fastest Street Vette in Arizona" award. I kinda admire your ability to do so much modifying to a brand new car. Not sure I could do it.

1000 HP is just that. (no offense R&E!) :D An official time slip is required for bragging rights. :yesnod

Robert and Elizabeth

When we get Vanessa done we will be glad to represent ACE and AZPS on the track! We need to put in a full roll cage and a five point harness too. The clutch is not very happy with us now either. It is very borderline... ask me how we know!! :lol:lol

Next mod after ported heads/manifold and 60# fuel injectors.... a double disc clutch, then the roll cage and five point harness. Stay tuned! :lol:crazy

A roll cage will sure make old Yellar a stiff one. But the bar behide the seat is a good place to attach two of the five point harness to. Plus you really should put in a different seat so the back two straps come thru the back of the seat and not around the seat. :D

1000 HP is just that. (no offense R&E!) :D An official time slip is required for bragging rights. :yesnod

I know, I can be a $h*t disturber once in a while.