I just saved 15% or more on my car insurance

Togo

damn lizard wasn't enough, they had to add in the cavemen!

so i bit

coverages as follows

Coverage Details

Coverages Limits $368.30 for 1999 Chevrolet Corvette $195.30 for 1995 Chevrolet 1500

Bodily Injury Liability(BI) $50,000 / $100,000 $ 58.00 $ 76.30

Property Damage Liability(PD) $25,000 $ 44.90 $ 59.10

Medical Payments(MED) $5,000 $ 19.80 $ 33.20

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury $25,000 / $50,000 $ 17.50 $ 17.50

Underinsured Motorist $25,000 / $50,000 $ 9.20 $ 9.20

Comprehensive(COMP) $250 deductible / no deductible for glass loss $ 107.70 NO not provided Collision(COLL) $250 deductible $ 111.20 NO not provided Emergency Road Service(ERS) NO not provided not provided Rental Reimbursement(RR) NO not provided not provided

for the STATE FARM insurance i have been paying $898.xx / 6 months

this Geico quote i just attempted to buy - $563.60

that to me sounds like a 47.4% difference for the same coverages that was a no brainer!

i'm currently examining more things in my life i can change to save this kind of money!!!!

i'm currently examining more things in my life i can change to save this kind of money!!!!

Sell the wife :bang

Robert and Elizabeth

Ouch!! Dawg just bit you bad!! :lol

(Laughing) BAD DAWG!!! VERY BAD DAWG!!!

Good for you. :thumbs

When I thought about switching...once you added their "membership fee" they were more expensive than my State Farm.

Lets see...Chris/Lizard/Caveman...sounds like a good fit. :lol

Coverage Details

Coverages Limits $368.30 for 1999 Chevrolet Corvette $195.30 for 1995 Chevrolet 1500

Comprehensive(COMP) $250 deductible / no deductible for glass loss $ 107.70 NO not provided Collision(COLL) $250 deductible $ 111.20 NO not provided Emergency Road Service(ERS) NO not provided not provided Rental Reimbursement(RR) NO not provided not provided

Not to be a jerk Chris, But your numbers are way off.

The Bodily Injury Liability(BI) $50,000 / $100,000 aint squat. One Chopper Ride to ICU and that is gone. The remander your back pocket.

Property Damage Liability(PD) $25,000. Unless you hit a Chevy Colbalt EX. You are in Trouble. One wrecked BMW/Lexsus and that $25k is gone. No coverage for the other 3 cares involved. The remander your back pocket.

The Medical Payments(MED) $5,000 will cover the ambulance ride. Thats it. The 3 nights stay in ICU comes to $80,000. The remander your back pocket.

Underinsured Motorist $25,000 / $50,000. You car is worth mor than $25k if it gets totaled, by an immigrant. The remander your back pocket.

MY humble advise

move the COMP deductible to $500. It will sting when you have to file a claim but you will sava a lot. How many Times have you blown $500 on carparts with out batting an eye.

Move the Bodily Injury Liability(BI) to $250,000 / $500,000 or more. Get $500,000/$1mil if you can.

"but chad isint $1mil a bit much?" IF lawyers go after you with $$ in there eyes, Geiko Will not use there 'wet-behind-the-ears-just out of grad school' lawyer. They can loose $1mill. They will use there better lawyers for the case.

Move the Property Damage Liability(PD) $50,000 or more. The limit will br $50k but if you can get $75 go for it.

Medical Payments(MED) $50,000 or $100,000. Helecopter Rides are not cheap.

Underinsured Motorist $50,000 / $100,000

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but one accident will wipe your nest egg for your house in a heartbeat.

Also the higher numbers are not that more expensive. You will be suprised.

2 cts

chad

Yassir . . what Chad said :)

Wife and I have used GEICO for decades.

Two uninsured motorists totalled their cars tryin to put dents in our Durango. I figured 3 more and it would have been an 'Ace' with 5 'kills.'

-evil grin-

One lady was watchin a jogger on the sidewalk, didn't see us stop for the guy makin a left in front of us ..

..the other was on the DAMN PHONE and ran a red light, broadsiding the 'D' with our grand kids ridin in the back ..grr .. don't get me started!

Repairs after accidents were setup fast, taken care of to our satisfaction, and we had a rental to beat on during repairs.

On the Vette.. our insurance only went up $20/mo ..wife increased the numbers as it was going to be very close to the same we were payin on the Durango.

-Frank an Kathy

When I sold the Prowler, and picked up the 04 vette, I also had to end a 31 year relationship with State Farm. I do have the higher coverage and when comparing apples to apples, saved around 40%, with AARP. (OK - I know that shows my age but at least, this time, age was in my favor.)

Not only was I with State Farm for 31 years but they also had life and the house. Even the same agent for the entire time, but enough was enough.

Bob

Sell the wife :bang

:agree Then you can buy my seester! :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

Coverage Details

Not to be a jerk Chris, But your numbers are way off.

The Bodily Injury Liability(BI) $50,000 / $100,000 aint squat. One Chopper Ride to ICU and that is gone. The remander your back pocket.

Property Damage Liability(PD) $25,000. Unless you hit a Chevy Colbalt EX. You are in Trouble. One wrecked BMW/Lexsus and that $25k is gone. No coverage for the other 3 cares involved. The remander your back pocket.

The Medical Payments(MED) $5,000 will cover the ambulance ride. Thats it. The 3 nights stay in ICU comes to $80,000. The remander your back pocket.

Underinsured Motorist $25,000 / $50,000. You car is worth mor than $25k if it gets totaled, by an immigrant. The remander your back pocket.

MY humble advise

move the COMP deductible to $500. It will sting when you have to file a claim but you will sava a lot. How many Times have you blown $500 on carparts with out batting an eye.

Move the Bodily Injury Liability(BI) to $250,000 / $500,000 or more. Get $500,000/$1mil if you can.

"but chad isint $1mil a bit much?" IF lawyers go after you with $$ in there eyes, Geiko Will not use there 'wet-behind-the-ears-just out of grad school' lawyer. They can loose $1mill. They will use there better lawyers for the case.

Move the Property Damage Liability(PD) $50,000 or more. The limit will br $50k but if you can get $75 go for it.

Medical Payments(MED) $50,000 or $100,000. Helecopter Rides are not cheap.

Underinsured Motorist $50,000 / $100,000

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but one accident will wipe your nest egg for your house in a heartbeat.

Also the higher numbers are not that more expensive. You will be suprised.

2 cts

chad

I agree with a lot of what Chad has posted. I always tell my clients to get insurance to @ least cover their assets. If your coverage is low, they will come after anything they can find. The uninsured & underinsured is for your car & therefore needs to be at limits accordingly. The problem with Geico (from what I've heard) is they don't offer the higher limits. I think the highest they can go is 100/300. He is also correct in the difference between coverage amounts. You would really be surprised as to how small of an annual change 50/100/25 to say 100/300/50 is. One area that I don't wholey agree with Chad however is on the Med payments. If you have good health insurance, it would benefit you to use it instead of your auto insurance. If you put in a large claim on your health care it doesn't make a difference like it does when you put a large claim on your auto insurance.

Jim

I find car insurance pricing totally erractic. Its like a grocery store, each store can claim they have the cheapest prices. Each store can pick 50 items that is cheaper than anyone else. So my 50 things I buy may be cheaper at Fry's but someone else 50 items may be cheaper at Bashas.

So I wouldn't take anyone word for one insurance company is the cheapest.

I just got my 1996 Grand Sport coupe insured for $57 a month on a 6/month policy. My C6 is around $100 a month. I was with Farmers, then Nation-wide, Libery Mutal and now AIG. When I switched my insurance for my cars from Liberty Mutual to AIG, I saved about 35%. I thought great deal for the exact same coverage from Liberyt Mutal, so I attempt to move my house insurance to AIG. Guess what? it was twice as much.

So I saved 35% switching my cars to AIG but would have paid 50% more on my house insurance.

In the past I have told several family memebers and friends of my savings on insurances here and there, but then they would come back to me and said they were staying with their company because it was cheaper. So I thought I should try his insurance and it was higher for me.

So it pays to shop around and switch every few years. Most of the insurance company take you in at a reduce rate but increases sneak in gradually over time.

If you have two or three cars, the one with the most miles driven should be the primary car and the others should be rated under pleasure driving. Don't get medical coverage if you already have medical from where you work.

Years ago I checked into "The Lizard/Caveman Insurance" and they were cheaper. However, they didn't do OEM replacement body panels which was a big downer for me. I want panels that fit right, not cheap stuff if they need replacing. Do they now replace with OEM panels? Just wondering and another thing to consider vs just price paid.

Chris,

Jim and Chad are both right. Chad is covering what he has to a higher limit then most need. BUT if your lifestyle NEEDS coverage like that then you are just gambling UNTIL there is claim.

The general rule of thumb is cover what you make or have assets for. If you make 80k a year and have a home, 2 cars,etc you are probably worth 200k....you should be covered for 250/500/250.

Med pay is great for folks with no health insurance or really crappy insurance. Save the extra 10 a month and dump it. RAISE the uninsured and under insured to at least 50/100. Consider raising it all.

I will quote you tomorrow and compare for you what I would come up with.

Not to bash but I heard the same about OEM parts, read the contract before signing, or get a # to claims and ask.

If you have questions PM me.

thx Daren

Guest UVETTYA

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that under and uninsured coverage is redundant coverage. I'm paying to insure my car and if it get's wrecked, isn't it my insurance companie's job to repair my car regardless of who's fault it is? Exactly what am I paying for with un and underinsured motorist coverage anyway? My insurance company's legal bills to recover their money? Seems like that's their job already.

:rant

Unfortunately insurance is a scam, but we require it. For example, we pay firefighters to risk their lives putting out fires. Why? To save insurance companies $$$. Sure there is the social aspect such as a family inside a burning building, etc.

I'm not bragging, and I do think you are bing ripped off, but where I live my '92 Corvette insurance (including plate costs) is $104.75 per month including liability. Then I tack on an additional $22.00 per month for a private package policy which covers replacement cost for the Vette. There are no arguments with insurance if the vehicle is professionally appraised (cost $200.00). Drivers licence is $25.00 per year.

Go Figure?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that under and uninsured coverage is redundant coverage. I'm paying to insure my car and if it get's wrecked, isn't it my insurance companie's job to repair my car regardless of who's fault it is? Exactly what am I paying for with un and underinsured motorist coverage anyway? My insurance company's legal bills to recover their money? Seems like that's their job already.

Hey Steve,

Uninsured & Underinsured is for your car if you are hit by someone else & they don't have any coverage or their coverage is not sufficient. For example, someone with state minimum totals your Z. State minimum is $10,000 of coverage. So you would get $10,000 from the other insurance company & would put a claim in on your underinsured coverage for the rest. The insurance companies look at uninsured & underinsured claims differently then Collision claims. One has fault & the others do not! If you don't have uninsured/underinsured coverage then a collision claim (at fault claim) will cost you a lot more in additional premium then if you placed the claim the other way (not at fault).

Hope that helps.

Jim

Guest UVETTYA

Hey Steve,

Uninsured & Underinsured is for your car if you are hit by someone else & they don't have any coverage or their coverage is not sufficient. For example, someone with state minimum totals your Z. State minimum is $10,000 of coverage. So you would get $10,000 from the other insurance company & would put a claim in on your underinsured coverage for the rest. The insurance companies look at uninsured & underinsured claims differently then Collision claims. One has fault & the others do not! If you don't have uninsured/underinsured coverage then a collision claim (at fault claim) will cost you a lot more in additional premium then if you placed the claim the other way (not at fault).

Hope that helps.

Jim

Thanks for the explanation Jim. Maybe I'm a dumass. :lol

So if I don't have under or uninsured coverage at all, (which I don't) and some illegal with no insurance total's my Vette, and it's his fault, are you saying my insurance company will not cover the cost of repair beyond $10K?

Hey Steve,

Hope that helps.

Jim

Thanks for the explanation Jim. Maybe I'm a dumass. :lol

So if I don't have under or uninsured coverage at all, (which I don't) and some illegal with no insurance total's my Vette, and it's his fault, are you saying my insurance company will not cover the cost of repair beyond $10K?

No, if someone has NO INSURANCE & you don't have Uninsured/Underinsured coverage, then you would put a claim into your insurance company & they would fix the damage. BUT, your insurance company would consider your claim to be an accident caused by you (at fault) & your company would increase your rates. If you had uninsured/underinsured coverage, you would put a claim into your company & would fix your car, but it would be considered a no fault claim & your insurance wouldn't be affected.

Does that help?

Jim

Guest UVETTYA
No, if someone has NO INSURANCE & you don't have Uninsured/Underinsured coverage, then you would put a claim into your insurance company & they would fix the damage. BUT, your insurance company would consider your claim to be an accident caused by you (at fault) & your company would increase your rates. If you had uninsured/underinsured coverage, you would put a claim into your company & would fix your car, but it would be considered a no fault claim & your insurance wouldn't be affected.

Does that help?

Jim

That pisses me off! :lol

So what I need to gamble on is whether the added premiums I "would" pay for underinsured motorist prior to this "possible" situation, (which may never happen) would be less than the additional premiums I might have to pay if it does happen.

I think I'll take my chances. :thumbs If some illegal with no insurance totals my Vette, I'll be going to prison for murder anyway. :yesnod

So what I need to gamble on is whether the added premiums I "would" pay for underinsured motorist prior to this "possible" situation, (which may never happen) would be less than the additional premiums I might have to pay if it does happen.

I think I'll take my chances. :thumbs If some illegal with no insurance totals my Vette, I'll be going to prison for murder anyway. :yesnod

Here is a story for you Steve. Back in 1993 I was driving my brand new 1993 Nissan pick-up.

I was travelling north to a green light when an idiot turned left in front of me and I plowed right into his right front fender totalling his POS 240Z and doing over $5,000 in to my $8,000 pick-up.

As we sat in the police car the officer was citing him for fault in the accident. The young punk was arguing with him; "how can it be my fault? He hit me!" The officer asked if he ever hear of yielding the right of way.

Oh, BTW, he also cited him for driving with no insurance!

State Farm took GREAT care of me back then!!! They towed my truck to the dealership, had it fixed and brought back to me. They did everything.

I did have to pay my $250 dedectible...but about 4 years later I got almost all of that back...as they sued the kid.

It sux yes, but it's one of those necessary evils IMHO. Also, you must think of where you live. How many people in this valley do you think there are driving with absolutely no insurance at all or carrying the minimum. Rest assured I'm sure it's more than you think.

On top of that, how small of an accident would it take to do more than 10k damage to your Z?

Just my :2cents

P.S. It's service like this from State Farm that keeps me with them.

Sean

Does that help?

Jim

You would be surprised @ how inexpensive those coverages are. you can get some good limits on those for an additional $40-$80 ANNUALLY. So, if you pay that for 20 years & never use it you're talking about like $1600. Is that worth it? I think that's a reasonable trade off.

You have to remember that the purpose of insurance is the transfer of risk! There's no other reason then to transfer the risk of paying out a huge sum of money to another entity. You pay $800 annually for 50 years is $40,000. In one accident you could easily pay that & then some. Worth it? Pennies on the Dollar!

Jim

The lady on the phone that ran a red light to T-bone our Durango had no insurance. Zip. Nada.

I just figured 'one more Toyota Camry POS off the road' (it was primer, at least 10 years old, lowered, big muffler ..the usual garbage car)

I drove the Durango home (prolly a mistake) ..then called GEICO ..they sent a tow truck the next morning, got a loaner from the repair shop, and when we got it back you couldn't tell where it had been hit. They even asked us if we wanted the tires they replaced (they had been flat-spotted from the 'D' spinning around on 'em after impact) ..

..that was all right here in Phx a little over a year ago.

-just sayin ..we got treated well I thought :)

-Frank

Guest UVETTYA
The lady on the phone that ran a red light to T-bone our Durango had no insurance. Zip. Nada.

I just figured 'one more Toyota Camry POS off the road' (it was primer, at least 10 years old, lowered, big muffler ..the usual garbage car)

I drove the Durango home (prolly a mistake) ..then called GEICO ..they sent a tow truck the next morning, got a loaner from the repair shop, and when we got it back you couldn't tell where it had been hit. They even asked us if we wanted the tires they replaced (they had been flat-spotted from the 'D' spinning around on 'em after impact) ..

..that was all right here in Phx a little over a year ago.

-just sayin ..we got treated well I thought :)

-Frank

Frank, did you have uninsured, underinsured coverage?

Steve

yassir, uninsured motorist coverage .. our rates didn't go up at all.

Insurance compan went after the lady ..I wish 'em luck ..she was changing her story minute by minute while talkin to the cops at the scene, .. witnesses were there to keep the account fairly accurate.

She even said my wife ran the red light .. (it was green accordin to the witnesses) ..wife looks then pulls off the line slowly, drives me crazy sometimes ..but she doesnt trust others to stop at a red light.

In this case she was half way across the intersection when this POS came thru the intersection, no skid marks at all, right into the right rear tire of the Durango. Totalled the little Toyota on the spot.

Spun both cars around until they were facin each other on the opposite crosswalk. Wife says the lady was still on the phone!

LOL.

-Frank