NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C4 - The spurt goes on

jstrutt

Here's the story folks. The '92 ended last season backfiring, missing and spurting. So over the winter the good Techs put in new wires, plugs, battery, distributor, distributor cap, ECM, EGR. It rested nicely with no miles put on it. Spring. Fire it up. One day all is fine, the next it sputters, revs at 1500 rpm and when you step on it it sits there like a dog until you take your foot off the gas. It's back in the shop being checked. I've had two suggestions of the real cause. TPS and plugged catalytic converters. Any suggestions? :banghead:nopity

I also forgot to mention that when it's puttering I get the "Service Engine Soon" and "Check ASR" warning and the speedo doesn't work. Yikes.

i think the TPS sensor is like $12 at autozone for the '92 (and it takes like 5 minutes to replace it) - it MAY cure the problem - but have you checked codes on the car to possibly have it tell you what it is? or did you trusty shop just start shotgunning parts thinking they'd cure it with the basics?

it could also be an OPTISPARK - god forbid

YIKES - i missed this part

I also forgot to mention that when it's puttering I get the "Service Engine Soon" and "Check ASR" warning and the speedo doesn't work. Yikes.

i don't konw why the speedo wouldn't be working - but check ASR could mean that someone messes with your throttle body and the TB connection to the transmission and it is misadjusted - i had the shop that put my transmission in do an adjustment on the TV cable (i think that's what it's called) and that problem went away

Thanks Togo. The Optispark was replaced and has 75 miles on it and they apparently used a computer to check the problem out. It's been to two differnt shops now. I'm not that mechanical so I'm in the dark and as for codes, well I am lost.

Sounds like an ign module. These get misdiagnosed as an opti-spark all the time. One can be purchased at NAPA for a song and are really easy to install. Its bolted to the front of the pass. side cyl. head right next to the ign. coil. I've done enough of these (especially on '92's) to confidantly say this is the place to start (or end in your situation). TPS usually doesn't have those symtoms, and I dont think the '92 has a TV cable as its got the 4l60e trans, not the 700r4. Hope this helps.......Joe

Check all your grounds as well....I have a Z28 that did exactly the same thing...

Thanks for all the help. The shop (I spoke with them this am) are checking TPS, Ignition module, catalytic converters, all grounds. In fact they were ahead of us on the grounds as that was one of the first things they want to check.

I would have thought that the mechanic that did the work would have pulled any codes and checked things like the TPS etc... was this :hunter maintenance? It doesn't sound like there was a logical troubleshooting technique used to find the issue(s).

Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt, but I hate when people just throw parts at a car and "hope" it fixes it. As much as I hate to admit it, GM did produce service manuals that are fairly good for the most part to troubleshoot car issues and give the mechanic a code to check as well to give him/her an idea of what's going on with the motor. It never ceases to amaze me how people blow off these troubleshooting aids that will point them in the right direction. I hope you find the issue and your car is running fine again....I'll get off my soap box now, sorry. :rant

Hey Buccaneer, I agree with you 100%. I'm not at all mechanically inclined. This is the 2nd shop its been to. The first shop did exactly as you said "throw parts at it". Needless to say my money does not cross their paths anymore and it hurts them as we run 3 vehicles and purchased 99% of our vehicles from them. The shop it's at now has the proper equipment to check codes, etc. The Tech there is well versed in Vettes and their related niches. Don't be sorry for what you intended to be a wake up call.

All the best,

Not yet Buccaneer. I'm anxiuos about this and as soon as I hear something I'll do a post. Remind me that the first time we meet, I buy the beer!

Not yet Buccaneer. I'm anxiuos about this and as soon as I hear something I'll do a post. Remind me that the first time we meet, I buy the beer!

Satisfied Frog Saturday works. :lol:drinkers

Well, if I jump in Karen's Sebring vert I can be there with a couple of days to spare!

Well, if I jump in Karen's Sebring vert I can be there with a couple of days to spare!

Oh yeah, that's right eh. You'are in Canada eh? :smilelol

Well just FedEx a case over-night...we'll throw up a toast for ya eh. :drinkers

LOL, I'm with Sean, but I can wait just the same. Post results when you can.

I'll ship you some real Canafian beer! Moosehead....just kidding but a good Pilsner would be satisfying. Too bad I don't drink but can handle a lot of "fake" beer. .05 and I hope there's lots of it in AZ.

I spoke with John at Automotive Diagnostic Specialties and he mentioned that the (ASR=traction control) is effected by wheel speed sensors failing,aftermarket throttle bodies,or the ASR may need to be reset.

The 92 corvette has a specific throttle body camshaft and they have seen problems in the past with aftermarket throttle bodies on this year vette effecting the ASR. hope this helps Glenn

I like Moosehead beer. I drank a lot of it up at Moosehead Lake in Maine when I was there on vacation. Better yet though, if you can get a hold of some VB, Victorian Bitter beer there, that would be awesome. I had a small group of Australian Airman I had to teach a while ago while still the USAF and they would get care packages from Australia every weekend of beer...VB and have parties. VB is a very nice bitter beer, if you can get that there, let me know or if anyone here knows where I can buy that here in the valley for sure, let me know.

img_vb.jpg

Hey Buccaneer,

For one I can't get "VB". I own a hotel where I live and we have to buy our beer and liquor from the Government of Saskatchewan. So, the brands are pretty much limited to Canadian beers with the exception of MGD, and a few others. Talk about comunism? But a good Pilsner by Molsons might hit the spot.

Now for the Vette. I talked to the shop this afternoon. "Beer" with me. Last fall the car started missing etc. It went to a stealership here in town who said they tracked the problem to the computer (ECM). They ordered one from the US which took 3 months to get. Don't ask me why. That was put in with no miles put on it until 2 weeks ago when I put on 75. That's when all the sputtering etc. started. Now it seems an awful coincidence to me that all these small parts would go at once with under 25,000 miles on the car causing an array of different problems.

According to the Tech today the new computer is faulty according to the codes or what have you. They new old one is under warranty so a new one is on its way from your land of plenty. It will be here in less then 10 days and then we'll know "The Rest Of The Story". God forbid if that isn't it but was assured it is the computer. The bear in the Avatar can cross the screen and eat that black dog if this keeps up.

Suffering in Silence but still have the Wave,

Auto computers dont typically go out for no reason at all. Usually on TPI (and by that I mean LT1 & L98) engines an electrical solenoid draws too much currant due to a fauly winding or sticking mechanism. On L98 & LT1 the injectors could be going out, on LT1 it could be a faulty or sticking EGR valve (linear type). They may be right about the ecm being bad, but typically the ecm replacement just gets rid of the symptoms temporarally until the real problem kills another ecm and the symptom is back. I would load test the inj. (make sure the amperage is in spec. & ohm test the inj. I would also check any solenoid that the comp. provides a ground to. Like the purge sol., egr valve (if linear type) and any relays, like for fans or fuel pump, a/c comp. etc. Its a lot of work but the only way to be sure you won't have another "defective" computer warranty issue. Good Luck............ Joe

Thanks Joe, I'll pass this on to the Tech. My very next ad is going to be:

"WANTED: A good Tech that know something about Corvettes. Name your pay. All living expenses provided (except women & beer). Reply to 1-8-STUPID" Any takers?

Oh that sux, both about the beer and the vette. I sure hope they know what they are doing. Like Joe has stated, the ECM may only be a temp bandaid until the faulty part(s) pops its ugly head up again. I sure hope you can get a grip on the real issue and enjoy driving the car for a change. I feel your pain.

Well Buccanner....if you plead enough I'll throw in the dames and beer (apologies to any Ladies out there). Just got off the phone with the Tech. He is checking everything like Joe suggested. My cousin, Festus Hagus from the Moskokas, had less trouble with his asses. Anyway, this thing has to be ready for the Superbash in Tucson. We're joining up with Ken Daby from El Paso Corvette Club in Alamogordo NM and joining the Lost Caravan Corvette Club for the tour to Tucson. So while I'm in AZ I'll get to buy you that beer. Also got my spies looking for some VB but I can't ship it across the border so if I find some I'll place it in some of Karen's clothing. She's tiny so I hope the Feds don't notice!

WOW! That would be cool. Just tell them its for your own consumption so you don't go through withdraws while in the states...LOL. :drinkers

Are you going to be coming up here to Phoenix afterwards? Have you ever been to Alamogordo NM? Pretty small town, but they do have the 117 Stealth there. :thumbs I used to go deer hunting down there in the towns around Alamogordo...Weed, Pinion and Mayhill this was whle I was stationed in Clovis, NM and president of the Eastern NM Corvette Club there. Have fun on the cruise.

clublogo.gif

Back then, there was no such thing as a C5...Doh!

Hey Buccaneer, been through Alamogordo once but never had the chance to stop. I'm looking forward to it. We hope to hit Phoenix. I know I will be in Phoenix when we roll through for Corvettes & Ghost Riders in Tombstone. That is one of my favorite towns. I'm an old west buff. If we intend to stop in Phoenix I'll email you way ahead of time.