SO tanya and Mark......

ChadC

.. I think I got the hang of it.

I drive to the back parking lot of the grocery store behind my house to pratice.

I think I have the hang of using my right foot to apply the brake and gas at the same time.

However I could not tell if the smoke I saw was the tires or the brake pads burning up.

damm run craps... I cant wait till I get better tires.

cheers

cahd

the smoke was not from the tires or brake pads. it was from the clutch. IT had 61K miles on it. I think I burned off about 20K off the disk.

IM afraid to test drive it for the moment. :leaving

Looks like Ill be swapping out the rear end and clutch sooner than expected

Guest UVETTYA

I'm not Tanya or Mark, but if you're trying to roast the tires, try one foot on the gas and the other on the brake and only use as much brake as necessary to keep the car from rolling forward.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe there is a lesson to learn here. Do not practice at Fry's cause you will fry something. :lol:lol

Sorry to hear that. Maybe there is a lesson to learn here. Do not practice at Fry's cause you will fry something. :lol:lol

This is the part where I hit the GONG

gong.jpg

:D

Guest UVETTYA

If you want to play, you got to pay. :yesnod

BTW, don't get a DTE Differential. The owner is a jerk and they have so many warranty disclaimers that I can't imagine them ever honoring a claim. There are other options for built diffs and I would encourage you to spend your money elsewhere. :yesnod

BTW, don't get a DTE Differential. The owner is a jerk and they have so many warranty disclaimers that I can't imagine them ever honoring a claim. There are other options for built diffs and I would encourage you to spend your money elsewhere. :yesnod

I have a DTE Tranny brace and it is almost a requirement to have on a C5. My rear is a stock unit with hardened output shafts.

Guest UVETTYA

I have a DTE Tranny brace and it is almost a requirement to have on a C5. My rear is a stock unit with hardened output shafts.

Yeah I have one too. I almost pulled it off and drove it to Indiana just to shove up DTE's a$$.

There are other options for tranny braces too and I would encourage everyone to spend their money elsewhere. DTE sucks.

what in detail do you hate about DTE?

ok so you want to want to pull a George Michael on the company. But why?

Guest UVETTYA
what in detail do you hate about DTE?

ok so you want to want to pull a George Michael on teh company. But why?

Looking for some drama, eh? :lol

Ok, remember you asked. :yesnod

I made a (very tongue in cheek) comment on Z06Vette.com about breaking in my new DTE stage 3 diff with a few 5K rpm launches at drag day. This was after commenting that I was anxious to try it out since I had been driving around for 3 weeks pampering my Z, breaking in teh new clutch while waiting for teh tranny brace to arrive. No hard launches, no hard shifting - nice and easy. And it was killing me. I said I couldn't wait until teh brace arrived so I could take it to teh track and "break it in right" with some 5K rpm launches.

DTE happened to read teh post but only chose to see teh 5K rpm launch part of teh comment and began to publicly chastize me - going on and on ad nauseaum about their break-in prodedure and how it must be followed to teh letter, yada yada yada, and they basically said they wouldn't honor my warranty if I sent them my diff under warranty and it showed signs that I had "broken it in" with 5K rpm launches.

I sent them a PRIVATE email explaining that I had followed their procedure to teh letter, teh comment was made tongue in cheek and to read teh post in teh spirit it was written and to lighten up, I had enough miles to break in their dif easily 3 times over and by no means had I "abused" it.

That wasn't good enough for teh jerk. He replied back PUBLICLY, going on and on about his POS warranty and insisting I was as much as a sensitive, spineless whimp and again went on and on about how he would void my warranty if I were to make a claim and they found ANY sign of abuse.

Reading teh warranty closely I found that DTE can and will void your warranty if you track your car! That blew me away. Why would I buy one of their diffs if I wasn't going to track teh car? :crazy Their warranty says in no uncertain terms that they can void teh warranty for any reason based upon their own determination that teh diff was abused - and they consider tracking your car, abuse.

Here's what it says about that: "DTE reserves teh right to determine whether teh terms and conditions of this warranty set out above, have been properly complied with and in teh even that any or teh terms and conditions have been ignored or violated, DTE shall be under no obligation to honor this warranty."

So basically they can void your warranty if teh wind blows. :bs

Here's what teh warranty says about racing...

"This warranty does not cover damage caused by timed event drag racing, road racing or any other type of vehicle competition to which this permormance differential is installed..."

Wow. :eek

So not only is teh guy a jerk, his warranty is a joke. It's basically worthless.

So I'd recommend you spend your money with a company that has ethics, who believes in their product enough to provide at least a BASIC warranty, and one who respects their paying customers and doesn't insult them publicly.

thank you for sharing steve.

I could play devil advocate, but that would probally wind you up and you would die of a heart attack.

"...eek ACK my left arm hurts *fhump*"

cheers

chad

Guest UVETTYA
thank you for sharing steve.

I could play devil advocate, but that would probally wind you up and you would die of a heart attack.

"...eek ACK my left arm hurts *fhump*"

cheers

chad

Tell you what - this guy really yanked my chain. It's probably a good thing for both of us he's not local. I came very close to pulling teh diff out, cutting it up into pieces with a torch and sending it back to him with instructions what to do with it.

As it is, I DID tell him to stuff his worthless POS warranty up his kazoo - I can buy a dozen of his diff's with my lunch money.

That isn't true, but it sounded good. :lol

Wow Steve; that is pretty pathetic. They sell you a "performance" differential but don't want you to "perform" with it. What a crock. I'll keep that in mind if I win the lottery and go nuts modding the car.

ok I have a break.....

so here here we go. Devils advocate (not personal attack)

so the warntee sucks. have you tried to warntee anything from them to valadate that it sucks?

from your post, there is a TOTAL JACKASS that works for them. This guy just found out that

His wife left him

the dog died

the tractor broke

his son is gay (not that there is anything wrong with that)

and his double wide has a flat.

but what about the Product?

does it whine alot? (like you ...jab...jab :D)

any install woes?

If the one TOTAL JACKASS did not exiest, would you buy from them again?

If there warntee states "we can blow you off for any reason" then that is bad, but not unheard of in the performance market.

how many parts do you (and I) have that state "for off road use only"

by us driving we void any warntee per sey.

just my 2 cts

UPDATE

..... some bald guy whom does not how to do a burn out in his manual car smoked his clutch sooooo bad that now the car will not start. Only the starter spins and does not engage the flwheel.

..sigh....

This guy just found out that

His wife left him

the dog died

the tractor broke

his son is gay (not that there is anything wrong with that)

and his double wide has a flat.

Sounds like a country song. :smilelol

Guest UVETTYA

Chad, as you know and as I'm learning, a lot of the performance stuff is over-kill. It's a racket, just like everything else. I would not buy a built diff again, from DTE or anyone. Unless you're going nuts with HP all you need is hardened output shafts and then only if you're going to launch hard at the drag strip. I probably paid 3 times more than what I needed to for cryo treated gears and a lot of hype. I was prepared to spend almost 4 grand on a tranny that would have some awesome bragging rights but is about 3 grand more than I could ever possibly need. Thanks to Mike at AZP&S I can put that money into something worhwhile - like a Fast90/90 or heads or nitrous or something else that will actually gain me something other than a thin wallet. When it comes to performance parts, buyer beware. :yesnod

Some performance parts are over rated. Others are not. The DTE Tranny brace is worth its weight in gold. The blue car did not have one.. and I launched the input shaft though the dif. That was $5K worth of damage that could have been avoided with a $400.00 part. Regardless of your perspective of DTE they do make quality parts. I have a DTE tranny brace and do not regret the purchase. If you want to know what parts are BS and what ones are worth the coin, I will be happy to share with you my experiences as I have broken every part of the drive line from the pistons to the ring and pinion on a C5.

Even though my black car has more power than my blue one, I havent broken one part yet. I may have figured out the combo.

Some performance parts are over rated. Others are not. The DTE Tranny brace is worth its weight in gold. The blue car did not have one.. and I launched the input shaft though the dif. That was $5K worth of damage that could have been avoided with a $400.00 part. Regardless of your perspective of DTE they do make quality parts. I have a DTE tranny brace and do not regret the purchase. If you want to know what parts are BS and what ones are worth the coin, I will be happy to share with you my experiences as I have broken every part of the drive line from the pistons to the ring and pinion on a C5.

Even though my black car has more power than my blue one, I havent broken one part yet. I may have figured out the combo.

thank you for your input.

My HP goals are not that grand, but I have been on the fence about the Brace.

thank you for your input.

chda

Guest UVETTYA

Chad, I'd recommend a brace for sure, just not DTE's. Go to the Corvette Forum and do a search for DTE and you can see the kind of jerk this guy is. I recommend you spend your money elsewhere.

Steve