C3 Vacuum issues

Ted Y

I just wanted to throw this out there to any of the other C3 owners. I just completed an overhaul of my vacuum operated lights and wiper systems and pretty much learned everything there is to know about the vacuum systems on these cars.

If any of you guys need help with something, I could probably lend a hand.

Happy cruising!

:clap Good job. Musta' been a lot of work!!!

Do you know anything about the heater switch too? (I know, I know, a heater in AZ?!?!?!?) Seems like Melissa's car has a vacuum leak when the heater is turned on and no heat....

Andrew

There was originally a vacuum operated heater switch that turned off/on the flow of coolant thru the core.

I have a ton of stuff on the vac systems for C3's as well.

Dr. Rebuild is the best place I found for the hoses and other items....

Phill's Vette
I just wanted to throw this out there to any of the other C3 owners. I just completed an overhaul of my vacuum operated lights and wiper systems and pretty much learned everything there is to know about the vacuum systems on these cars.

Happy cruising!

Cool! :D I'll remember this; I just got all the parts to do a complete rebuild of my headlight system, mechanical and the vacuum system. I'll send you a PM if I get into a snag. I expect to be a pro also once I'm done - I'll add it to my Corvette resume which has grown greatly in the last 8 months :cone

Thanks!

:clap Good job. Musta' been a lot of work!!!

Do you know anything about the heater switch too? (I know, I know, a heater in AZ?!?!?!?) Seems like Melissa's car has a vacuum leak when the heater is turned on and no heat....

Andrew

There is a vacuum operated valve that opens the hot coolant flow to the heater core. Can you hear the leak? Is it by the controls or behind the dash? It usually comes down to a bad hose or a valve that is shot. Either way, it should not be too expensive.

I have a Vintage Air setup on mine which is not original and the controls are all electronic now and not the original vacuum.

Happy cruising!

Cool! :D I'll remember this; I just got all the parts to do a complete rebuild of my headlight system, mechanical and the vacuum system. I'll send you a PM if I get into a snag. I expect to be a pro also once I'm done - I'll add it to my Corvette resume which has grown greatly in the last 8 months :cone

Thanks!

Replace the hoses one at a time. Don't remove one without having the replacement in hand and ready to go. The hardest part is behind the dash, which is a pain to remove if you never have. I had to remove the headlight actuators to change the seals, which meant taking off the grilles.

It's not too hard, just takes time and patience with lots of penetrating oil.

I also have headlight problems....I have the new complete hose kit and will be ordering new seals and boots soon....I have a few diagrams of the vac system if anyone would like them .....I'll look up sites I got these articles from and post ....

I used that Zips article to change my actuator seals. It's amazing how they can still work (albeit poorly and slowly) even when they are split halfway up the sides and a with a hole in the base like mine were.

I got them replaced and now they both pop up and down in unison. You don't have a wiper door to worry about right? The biggest pain to replacing all the hoses is getting behind the dash.

No I don't have the wiper door.....when I redo the vac lines I figure on plugging or not running anything to wiper door.....I found seals and boots in car kit at Midamerica for $27.00 and change including shipping..

if you know anyplace better fill me in .....I'm about ready to order them

One if the Tricks I did with my system when I overhauled the interior, Is to use a hand pump.

There is a cheapo $10 brake bleeder kit from AutoZone. IT has a hand pump with a Lb gauge on it.

I connected it to each of the vacuum lines put 10 LBs of suction. I would hear the AC/heater door move to the correct position. and I would wait for 10 min or so to see if the suction pressure would hold.

here is a gory picture

Resizeofvettinterior-1.jpg

cheers

chad

No I don't have the wiper door.....when I redo the vac lines I figure on plugging or not running anything to wiper door.....I found seals and boots in car kit at Midamerica for $27.00 and change including shipping..

if you know anyplace better fill me in .....I'm about ready to order them

If you get a kit that is year specific, you won't have to plug anything. Just make sure you are getting the correct replacement hoses and seals. They will last another 10-15 years if you do it right. I bought mine from Zip. A little more expensive, but everything looks correct and works great.