NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

SPEEDING TICKET

vidal1313

I was cited for going 64mph on 45mph zone. Maybe I was not traveling at 45, but no way I was going 64mph. There was another vehicle right next to me when my radar detector went off. Then I saw the LEO and I was pulled over. Long story short, he ticketed me for speeding and not having my registration card. I think he just decided that of the 2 vehicles I was the one to pull over. Then just gave me the ticket for 64 which is the limit before calling it criminal speed which would be 20 over. So I could go to traffic school because I have not had any other tickets, but I think this is unfair. He just as easy could have stopped the other guy. After all this venting, here are my questions... Do any of you have experience in fighting a ticket? Do I have a chance? Will they just side with the LEO automatically and tell me I'm guilty? Did he need to show me the radar? Can he prove in court that I was going 64mph? Do their radar guns save the time and speed? How can he prove that it was me if there was another car about 10 feet away from me? Any help appreciated.

Guest UVETTYA

I think if it were me I'd just take it in the shorts and go to traffic school and then be good for the next 2 years. It's only a 4 hr class now.

Steve

This happened about 30 minutes prior to me posting it here. I was upset and should have allow it some time to sink in... traffic school here I go.

I'd say traffic school, cheaper than a lawyer...you can always plead your case to a judge...you never know :yesnod

_38477361_oj_ap_238.jpg

Sounds like you've made up your mind to go to traffic school. If you change your mind I fully encourage anyone to go to court.

To answer your questions. It's urban myth that the officer has to show you their radar gun. No they don't have a date/time stamp. He doesn't get a printout or any other "record" of your violations. I can also tell you that even with older model radar guns you could pick a car out of the pack. You move the gun just slightly and you'll see the various speeds everyone is going.

Now for fighting the ticket. Again I encourage anyone that feels they've been wronged to go visit the judge. I have seen a number of tickets beat in court. When in LE I had several people beat me. The people that win the case are the ones that come prepared. You need evidence, pictures of the area, witnesses, etc. You'll do nothing but look like a complete idiot to the judge if you go in and say "your honor I didn't do what this professional, highly trained and educated officer says I did".

If this violation was on a city street (not freeway) then it was probably written for 28-701A "speed not reasonable and prudent". Think about that title. If you can prove your speed was reasonable and prudent then you have half a chance of winning. Again, don't go in armed with only your word against his. You have everything to loose and the cop has nothing. Who do you think the judge will believe? If you can't prove it then don't waste your time or the courts time.

Enough Traffic Law 101. Good Luck!

Edit: I just got to thinking.... I own a radar gun and maybe at one of our get togethers I should do a demonstration of how easy it is for them to snag you even in a crowd of other vehicles. Any interest?

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll go to traffic school since it seems easier than fighting and I'm not sure I am completely inocent as I'm sure I was going over 45... but not 64!

Does anyone know if Chandler allows the online traffic class?

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll go to traffic school since it seems easier than fighting and I'm not sure I am completely inocent as I'm sure I was going over 45... but not 64!

ok dont flip over and play dead so quickley...

you have a court date... that date is not to plead your case. Its just to say Guilty or not guilty.

if you say "not guilty" the Judge will then set a date/ time for your real court date.

If you go to court and you loose. guess what....

you will get the same punishment / fine you are getting now. traffic school. No worse.

however because the courts are swamped its not un-common for the DA to offer a lesser charge in attempt for you to plead guilty and have you not waste the courts time.

Remember it cant get any worse than what you have now.

2 cts

chad

Might be hard to convince a judge that 19 over the posted speed limit IS still Reasonable and prudent.

Sounds like you lucked out for not getting a criminal speed. Many guns have a fast mode that seeks oute the fastes car in the pack

you have a court date... that date is not to plead your case. Its just to say Guilty or not guilty.

if you say "not guilty" the Judge will then set a date/ time for your real court date.

you will get the same punishment / fine you are getting now. traffic school. No worse.

however because the courts are swamped its not un-common for the DA to offer a lesser charge in attempt for you to plead guilty and have you not waste the courts time.

2 cts

chad

I beg to differ. The judge has 100% perogative. Hit the judge on a bad day and he could say "you had your chance for traffic school" (slam gavel here). That said, "normally" they don't go beyond the fine schedule. There is a 50%-60% chance you will get the same penalty and then throw a day off work on top of it. If you're working hourly or the boss docks your pay then the penalty is worse than if you just go to school.

eddie you are totally right.

I forgot about the time off of work.

Yes you are taking a risk that the Judge did not get his morning hummer and is in a foul mood.

I was in a senaro of 1XX in a 65 driving my magnum to vegas. FOr me it was criminal speeding with no chance of school.

I pled not guilty and they knocked down to a lesser charge so I could take a class. I loss 1 day of work driving to Kingman to say Not guilty.

in the balance of the universe I paid a fine, time off of work, gas to drive 370 mi, a driving school, and the risk that I have to be a good boy for 3 years.

better than Jail or a suspended license.

2 cts

chad

Usually you get no choice of going to traffic school after you go to trial.

I vote traffic school. Easy way out. Take it from me, DA's, attornies and judges aren't going to have sympathy for you. Suck it up for 6 to 8 hours in school on a saturday (usually no loss of work time) and this will all be behind you. And then, keep your speed down....unless no one is looking :)

Dan

Guest Sidewinder
I vote traffic school. Easy way out. Take it from me, DA's, attornies and judges aren't going to have sympathy for you. Suck it up for 6 to 8 hours in school on a saturday (usually no loss of work time) and this will all be behind you. And then, keep your speed down....unless no one is looking :)

Dan

Hell, I think the class is only 4 hours now.

Edit: I just got to thinking.... I own a radar gun and maybe at one of our get togethers I should do a demonstration of how easy it is for them to snag you even in a crowd of other vehicles. Any interest?

OOH ME, ME,!

We could even test some radar detectors.

My gun is pretty old technology now. Probably not used by PD's any more. I bought it to clock pitchers when my son played HS Baseball. We can try though.

Thanks guys and gals for all your good advice.

Well, on March 3rd I'll be attending traffic school as Chandler does not allow the online class. Then, to get rid of my ticket for not carrying the registration I have to wait until they receive the ticket from the officer and then I can present my registration so that ticket can be voided. I have had time to realize that 4 hours wasted on a Saturday and having to walk into the municipal court and waste more time is a pretty good deal not to have my insurance rate increase. BUT I'll tell you what still chaffs my behind... the car is a 2007 and had current tags and I had the current insurance card. The officer must know you cannot get either of these without a current registration, but he still added that ticket. Also, I always addressed him as SIR or Officer he addressed me as buddy or, after he got my license, by my first name. Maybe I'm just looking for something to be piss about...

My gun is pretty old technology now. Probably not used by PD's any more. I bought it to clock pitchers when my son played HS Baseball. We can try though.

Does it go up to a buck 90? :P

I believe it goes to triple digits but don't know how high. I never found a HS kid that could throw that fast :lol

Which band Eddie?

Beats me, it's an old Jugs gun.

Guest Sidewinder

Dave,

Hay does not reflect radar signals!! :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

Oh my stomach hurts from laughing!!!

Guest UVETTYA
Dave,

Hay does not reflect radar signals!! :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

Looking at the way your avatar is going at it, I would guess there are other things hurting too! Huh? :huh

Dave,

Hardee har har. :toetap