Cat Delete

roneva

CrimsonNCream

Hi Ron,

On my 2003 Z06 a previous owner had deleted the cats. Probably when installing the headers. I thought it caused the car to smell of gas that was not burned off, but I dont know for sure. It always passed emissions because they never stuck the sniffer up the tailpipe. They only plugged the electronics in under the dash and it did not detect anything amiss.

Yes they pass emissions, but did you read the article.  They have a stiff fine to the company supplying the eqpt or reprograming the computer.  Anyone with long tube headers probably have deleted the cats.

SixAddict

Ron, I run long tube headers with high flow cats. Previously ran long tube headers with no cats, both configurations past AZ emissions. Obviously the tune helps accomplish this.

Im sure in the near future Arizona will become like komifornia and their emissions standards. Not sure if the country will last that long or not, to worry about it.

Plus pretty soon our C6’s will be able to qualify for classic tags….😂😂that should exempt us from the bs testing, no?

SixAddict

The smell with no cats is a little much. Even thought the tune helps, you will get a smell of unburnt fuel, no big deal really but once I got the cam installed I was informed the smell would be worse so I upgraded with ceramic coated long tube headers and Hi flow cats , now no smell and all is well .

Your experience maybe different with a SC, no? 

I had the smell too.  Not so bad now for whatever reason.

A little late to this party, but most header mfg's have a cat option available. When I first modded my C6, I used Z06 manifolds with gutted cats, but don't remember having a bad smell. Later on I swapped to LG Streets with damaged hi-flow cats, so I gutted them and got a new tune. Eventually I bought the HP Tuner package and learned to do my own tuning. I think the smell was worse with the AZ summer blend fuel.

On 3/8/2024 at 8:51 PM, SixAddict said:

Ron, I run long tube headers with high flow cats. Previously ran long tube headers with no cats, both configurations past AZ emissions. Obviously the tune helps accomplish this.

Im sure in the near future Arizona will become like komifornia and their emissions standards. Not sure if the country will last that long or not, to worry about it.

Plus pretty soon our C6’s will be able to qualify for classic tags….😂😂that should exempt us from the bs testing, no?

The 25 year Historic Vehicle rule, doesn't eliminate the emission testing, but it does get you a copper plate and a $10 registration fee. 1995 was also the last year before the OBD port became the standard test.

I got seriously involved politically when the State was first trying to implement emission standards in the early 70's. I spent many hours with the creation of the Arizona Automobile Hobbyist Council and as a registered lobbyist at the Capitol building. Sat next to Burton Barr at several discussion sessions to help him understand what we car nuts could live with in a new era of gov't controls.

• Upvote 2