DIC problems C-5

Mag red 02 vert

Mag red 02 vert

The 2002 has been in storage for a few weeks with battery shutoff switch. Now the fuel reads “low” despite 3/4 full. Secondly the tire pressure display on DiC is all blank. Thoughts or suggestions?

TIA

Do a google search for C5 Corvette grounding problems, sounds like it might be your fix.

• Upvote 1

Mag red 02 vert

I installed a battery cutoff switch this year and routinely turn battery off, then on to run the engine, HVAC etc. would that qualify as “disconnecting the battery”? Or could it be the grounding problem?

I'd try the simple things first, not sure if it's the same or not but fairly easy to disconnect and reconnect. 

Mag red 02 vert

For sure!  Will do!  The cutoff is on the negative terminal so I’ll disconnect the positive too. Then reconnect and report back. 

• Upvote 1

Mag red 02 vert

Disconnected both posts and reconnected. No change in display.
HUD and analog fuel is correct. 
Any chance a bad fuse could cause this?

Are you driving the car to activate the tire pressure sensors?

If the fuel gauge is off, many users swear by Techron additive to fix it.  It might take a few doses for the cure to kick in.

• Upvote 1

Mag red 02 vert

Update!  Drove the car to the nearest Chevron station. Tire pressure monitors started working as designed immediately. Fuel range read 115 miles. Added a quart of Techron and topped off tank with 5 gallons of 92. Range is now 230 miles and this will probably correct with more driving. 
Thanks to all!

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• Like 1

FYI - Most TPMS will sleep when inactive to save battery life. Once you roll for half a mile, they should register and show pressure.

Techron is a big asset for fuel sensors.  Even the top tier gas has the sulfur contaminate the contacts.  I usually throw a container in every three months.  Autozone typically has it on sale twice a year

Mag red 02 vert

I’ve had the 2002 since new. Never had the TPMS go to sleep during storage but that’s exactly what happened.  The car had massive fuel gauge issues earlier. The Techtron cost over $15 for the bottle so I’ll have to shop sales. 

I normally take collision coverage off when storing in Portland winters. 
I’ll just start driving on the few nice days and keep everything moving. 
Thank you for your help!

• Upvote 1