Howling noise on excelleration

goofy02z06

On 9/24/2023 at 9:26 AM, goofy02z06 said:

Thank you, ill look into finding a place to get it rebuilt. Any good shops in Peoria or West side of town?

You may have difficulty finding a shop locally to actually rebuild your diff unit, and even if you find one, I would question their expertise at actually getting into the guts of the differential to rebuilt it properly.

You may have better results looking for a shop that can remove/replace your unit with a rebuilt unit from RPM.   

As an alternative, you might PM Phil  @Azmotorhead here on the forum. He is a jet mechanic who does corvette/classic chevy work on the side.  He has a professional level shop (5 bays wide) behind his home and he is a skilled mechanic.  I have hired him to do several major jobs for me over the years and had zero problems with his work.  I'm not sure if he is still doing this side work, but it won't cost you anything to reach out to him, discuss your issues and see what he says.  He is westside (83rd/Deer Valley area). 

The problem is you have a Getrag differential in your Z06 It takes specialized tooling to set one up properly. Unfortunately, I do not have such equipment.

I would inquire with either RPM or another place DTE. and see what a rebuilt unit will cost. If you need a shop that can swap the diff. I can assist you with that. Drop me a PM if you'ld like or call Phil 480 213 7616.

Hmm must have fallen off Donna's favorites list as my phone didnt ring 

1 minute ago, Azmotorhead said:

The problem is you have a Getrag differential in your Z06 It takes specialized tooling to set one up properly. Unfortunately, I do not have such equipment.

I would inquire with either RPM or another place DTE. and see what a rebuilt unit will cost. If you need a shop that can swap the diff. I can assist you with that. Drop me a PM if you'ld like or call Phil 480 213 7616.

but I do have an awesome shop on the westside that I trust...I will call them on Monday

Hmm must have fallen off Donna's favorites list as my phone didnt ring  ;-)

47 minutes ago, Azmotorhead said:

but I do have an awesome shop on the westside that I trust...I will call them on Monday

On her behalf, she’s been in hell for the past week. 😂

probably got home 9 last night. 
she has done more labor this past week than probably most do in 3 months. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aenigma said:

On her behalf, she’s been in hell for the past week. 😂

probably got home 9 last night. 
she has done more labor this past week than probably most do in 3 months. 

It's hard running with the big dogs!  :agree

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Azmotorhead said:

Nothing against you, your work was always awesome!  Which is why I suggested he contact you.

Unfortunately, since you have a full time job and a life, and do automotive work on the side, it was sometimes difficult to get my car in with you timely when work was needed.

With my Corvette being my only vehicle, delayed work became a big problem for me, so I was forced to find an alternative. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Azmotorhead said:

I understand.

Stop by sometime and check out the new house. Same address just the house is new.:howdy

You FINALLY got around to doing your house?  AWESOME!  I will have to come check it out, probably in December,  my life is crazy full through November. :ack:

On 9/25/2023 at 11:48 AM, Chameleon said:

You may have difficulty finding a shop locally to actually rebuild your diff unit, and even if you find one, I would question their expertise at actually getting into the guts of the differential to rebuilt it properly.

You may have better results looking for a shop that can remove/replace your unit with a rebuilt unit from RPM.   

As an alternative, you might PM Phil  @Azmotorhead here on the forum. He is a jet mechanic who does corvette/classic chevy work on the side.  He has a professional level shop (5 bays wide) behind his home and he is a skilled mechanic.  I have hired him to do several major jobs for me over the years and had zero problems with his work.  I'm not sure if he is still doing this side work, but it won't cost you anything to reach out to him, discuss your issues and see what he says.  He is westside (83rd/Deer Valley area). 

Thank you so much

On 9/25/2023 at 1:13 PM, Azmotorhead said:

Hmm must have fallen off Donna's favorites list as my phone didnt ring 

If I get a new differential from RPM, can you install it? Mine is a garage queen so time isn't an issue. 

17 minutes ago, goofy02z06 said:

If I get a new differential from RPM, can you install it? Mine is a garage queen so time isn't an issue. 

I'll send you  PM