NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 Shock Replacement

Jim C5

Looking for a good shop in/near Phoenix to have my C5 Shocks (with Magnetic Selective Ride) replaced and suspension checked.  Thanks!

I will be the first to suggest Classic Gold.  I would be curious what the bill for the shocks ends up being.  Are they leaking?

97 - 2002 you can have them do F45 delete with the Tech II or snap in simulators.  You can install standard shocks then

03/04 cars are a variable resistance, cant do simulators, so you're looking at either doing new shocks (the price is shocking) or I'm pretty sure you can have them also do the Tech II delete

Whatever the year C5, most likely they are shot at this age.  Problem with Corvette owners is we keep the cars so clean, rare that you even see the shock leak without it being cleaned off by carwash or other

7 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

97 - 2002 you can have them do F45 delete with the Tech II or snap in simulators.  You can install standard shocks then

03/04 cars are a variable resistance, cant do simulators, so you're looking at either doing new shocks (the price is shocking) or I'm pretty sure you can have them also do the Tech II delete

Whatever the year C5, most likely they are shot at this age.  Problem with Corvette owners is we keep the cars so clean, rare that you even see the shock leak without it being cleaned off by carwash or other

Yeah, I never noticed a leak.  I do like the option to switch from touring to sport.  Subtle, but makes a difference in road noise in touring mode on freeway and cornering in sport mode.  Dealer estimate a couple years ago (I don't drive it much, 60K miles on car in 20 years) was almost $4K to replace with the magnetic selective ride shocks.  Although I am sure the ride will be better than current with new "standard" shocks, I don't really know what to expect.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:06 PM, az57chevy said:

I will be the first to suggest Classic Gold.  I would be curious what the bill for the shocks ends up being.  Are they leaking?

Yeah, I never noticed a leak. Dealer estimate a couple years ago (I don't drive it much, 60K miles on car in 20 years) was almost $4K to replace with the magnetic selective ride shocks.  Although I am sure the ride will be better than current with new "standard" shocks, I don't really know what to expect.

23 hours ago, Jim C5 said:

Yeah, I never noticed a leak.  I do like the option to switch from touring to sport.  Subtle, but makes a difference in road noise in touring mode on freeway and cornering in sport mode.  Dealer estimate a couple years ago (I don't drive it much, 60K miles on car in 20 years) was almost $4K to replace with the magnetic selective ride shocks.  Although I am sure the ride will be better than current with new "standard" shocks, I don't really know what to expect.

I put Z06 shocks on mine initially, awesome at first but then the ride became super stiff and jarring.  I then installed Z06 sway bars (front and back) with new endlinks and installed standard OEM shocks, and it was awesome.  Super comfortable ride and steady and planted in the corners. I thought it was the best of both worlds

Probably depends on what your intent is with the car, if you're going to track or autocross, I'd just do the Z06 shocks and be done.  If you want some adjustablity (be it manual adjustment) you could always do Bilsteins

25 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

I put Z06 shocks on mine initially, awesome at first but then the ride became super stiff and jarring.  I then installed Z06 sway bars (front and back) with new endlinks and installed standard OEM shocks, and it was awesome.  Super comfortable ride and steady and planted in the corners. I thought it was the best of both worlds

Probably depends on what your intent is with the car, if you're going to track or autocross, I'd just do the Z06 shocks and be done.  If you want some adjustablity (be it manual adjustment) you could always do Bilsteins

thanks.  At this point its just cruising but I do like to cruise fast in the corners!  I like the idea of the swaybars with standard shocks