WANTED: Locking mechanism for C6 transmission cable.

SixAddict

I’ve checked with some salvage yards to no avail. Looking for the red locking mechanism that goes over cable adjuster at trans end.

Mine seems to have left my vehicle, noticed as trans started shifting kinda mushy. Below is a photo if someone happens to have an old cable with this locking mechanism still on it. Thanks. 
8448650A-1280-4D7A-ADF5-E05CA2A8E690.thumb.jpeg.0dca16ab8e2b149c8b09d05eb4b4ebb4.jpeg

I'll take a look. But you may have to buy a whole new cable to get one.

Cables are discontinued by GM. Just looked and theres a couple on Amazon.

If you have a A6 car you may want to buy a cable.

If you ever have to pull the shifter out theres a good chance you'll break the cable at the fwd end unless you have the experience of pulling the shifter.

• Upvote 2

If this is what the end of your shift cable looks like. The Red lock cover isnt necessary.

I dont recall seeing a red lock cover on any of the cables I have changed.

20221116_112108.thumb.jpg.050f618df5e47b41ac4ef9364b8cef1e.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Donna and Phil. Yes that’s what my cable looks like in the above photo, without red locking mechanism.

This is a new cable and I have readjusted it as I had to remove my console to brake locking pawl that was giving me an issue. Actually it’s the micro switch I know, but it was easier to tie pawl out of the way. When I did this I accidentally removed shift indicator from shifter, so I had to go back in and fix that. Oh joy…..

I did see the new cables on Amazon, but from what your saying I guess I don’t need it?

I have put a zip tie over white plastic lock for the time being. 

And yes 46 bucks for a new cable maybe the way to go if I truly need this red locking mechanism.

Thanks again to you both.

Come to think of it, this all started when I change my exhaust. I think I knocked the white plastic lock open when installing the over axle pipe on driver side. That’s when I noticed shifter feeling not right.

I guess if I had the locking mechanism and would have knocked it off it should have fallen to the ground or the great abbess under car….:lol

So on the big forum someone told me that the red locking mechanism is for shipping only. 

Donna I guess you can get rid of this thread all together now. Thanks again to you both.:ACE:

That shipping theory doesn't sound logical. If the cable had the capability to become unattached while on a truck or train before arriving at a dealership, why would it stay attached after the dealer took it off. 

Just for reference, if mine had one when I took delivery, then a couple months later, as my fuel tank sender failed, the mechanic must have not bothered to put it back on. I've had the trans out a few times since then, and never saw that part.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Buccaneer said:

Did someone mention...FREE Post?! :rolf

. . . haven't had one of those in a l. . .o. . .n. . .g time.  I'll take one!  :smilelol  :ACE:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok it's more than a free post. 

It's informative as well!!

I found on my shelf a new C6 shift cable. And it has the red tab on it!!

But guess what, the red tab is used for shipping ONLY!!

It PREVENTS the adjustment end from locking into position.

Case closed.

16709869977856090871029057164328.jpg

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Azmotorhead said:

Ok it's more than a free post. 

It's informative as well!!

I found on my shelf a new C6 shift cable. And it has the red tab on it!!

But guess what, the red tab is used for shipping ONLY!!

It PREVENTS the adjustment end from locking into position.

Case closed.

16709869977856090871029057164328.jpg

Yes I agree, this was the info I found out also. Thank you for confirming. On a reporting note, all is well with cable, I have been driving it like I stole it and no issues……other than maybe a few pissed off drivers.