NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Dead Battery

Major

My vehicle has been setting for approximately 2 weeks and yesterday I tried to start it - the battery was dead. I bought the battery tender junior let it charge all night, this morning still did not want to start. Called roadside assistance, 20 minutes later the tow truck showed up jump and started the vette. I took it for a spin traded the battery tender junior for the battery tender plus, which is a full 1 amp vice the .75 amp with the junior.

Question: Since the battery tender has fully charged the battery, green light on, would this indicate the battery is good, I do not have a battery tester. I am also condering purchasing a new battery, what is the best replacement, posibblly a sears die-hard?

Thanks

Major

untitled16.bmp

I wouldn't buy anything but an Optima Red Top. I know there have been some bad posts about the Red Top but mine in the C5 was great.

If you just bought the Vette the battery should be warrantied. In my C5 the battery went dead on a Sat afternoon. I got ahold of the Service Mgr but the Service Dept was closed. He wanted to tow the Vette but I needed it Mon morning. He told me to go out and buy a battery and bring them the receipt. He assured me GM would cut me a check. I asked if I could buy any battery I wanted and he said yes. I told him I was going to buy a Red Top and he replied that he would if he was in my shoes. GM bought my Red Top.

:agree

But I believe that GM has a limit on how much they will refund, I believe it was around $75.

They wrote me a check for the full amount including tax. Maybe it depends on how hard the Service Mgr pushes but I was shocked. I figured they'd go a minimum Checker/AutoZone battery but he told me on the phone that he'd buy a Red Top too if it was him so I did.

Umm .. Sears will do a system check and tell ya what the problem is .. for nothin ( at least, last time I had a battery problem )

*Then* go get a Red Top :) ..if that's the culprit.

-Frank

I wouldn't buy anything but an Optima Red Top. I know there have been some bad posts about the Red Top but mine in the C5 was great.

If you just bought the Vette the battery should be warrantied. In my C5 the battery went dead on a Sat afternoon. I got ahold of the Service Mgr but the Service Dept was closed. He wanted to tow the Vette but I needed it Mon morning. He told me to go out and buy a battery and bring them the receipt. He assured me GM would cut me a check. I asked if I could buy any battery I wanted and he said yes. I told him I was going to buy a Red Top and he replied that he would if he was in my shoes. GM bought my Red Top.

Based on what I have read it appears most vette owners just bite the bullet and purchase a different battery rather than dealing with the dealership. My concern is why did the battery go-dead, I am visiting the dealership this morning.

By chance does anyone know which "Optima Red Top" will fit? I believe Pepboys sells them in Yuma.

Thanks

Major

post-495-1168868837.jpg

Guest UVETTYA
DBS=Dead battery Syndrome: Common to manual C6's when parked and NOT left in reverse.

Yup. I don't own a C6 but I've heard this. C5's have a mysterious "parasitic drain" that will do the same thing over time.

Eddie, that's totally cool. I've never gotten any stealership to pay for a battery I've replaced under warranty. They've all told me I had to bring them the car and they'll replace it under warranty, but that's the only way they'll do it. We just went through this a few days ago with Marylou's Sorento. I had to jump start it and drive it to them. Roadside service would have jumped it, but I didn't want to wait for them.

Steve

The trick on the replacement is you have to do it at a time that the dealership isn't open and "need" the vehicle immediately. If you call them while they are open they will tell you to bring it in. I just happened to reach the Service Mgr about an hour after the dept closed on Sat. He originally wanted me to have it towed and they'd do it Mon. I said I needed the Vette on Mon. He said replace, bring them the receipt with the Vette so they could inspect and they'd forward it to GM. GM sent a check in about three weeks.

:agree Optima redtop model#SC34U in mine since '05. :bang No battery tender, and it always starts right up (knocking on wood), even after sitting for nearly a month when we went on vacation.

What's this about leaving your C6 in reverse when you park it? :toetap

:agree Optima redtop model#SC34U in mine since '05. :bang No battery tender, and it always starts right up (knocking on wood), even after sitting for nearly a month when we went on vacation.

What's this about leaving your C6 in reverse when you park it? :toetap

If you do not put your c6 in reverse the battery will go dead while parked. This is if you have a six speed. If you do not put it in reverse the DIC tells you to do so. And the doors will not unlock rightways when you kill the engine, bells are going off also.

didnt they change that in 06 so you dont have to do the reverse thing anymore?

Hummm I don't know that one. Maybe so. :D

From what I understand the "reverse" requirement only applied to "05" manuals.

I went to the dealer and because I did not have an appontment I would have had to wait all day. I made an appointment for this Friday. I stopped by sears and the battery checks "good", I still need to know why though!

I have a battery tender hooked up, the below listed link explains why I wanted one.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...playable%3Atrue

Major

post-495-1168910674.jpg