Flat tire kit?

Ray55

I’m going to Walmart today to get a flat tire kit. A compressor, a plug kit, and a can of slime spray sealant. What are you folks using. I want to get something that will fit in our big trunks lol 😁

I suggest to NOT get the slime. I put one in my car when I first got the car and the summer heat along with the exhaust heat made it explode. Luckily it was in the covered little compartment in the back and it got contained to that place. Super messy to clean up. The other stuff, pretty much whatever you prefer.

• Like 1

Run flats here also.

If you do get "slime", make sure it is tpms safe.

Also, let the tire guy know if you have slime in your tires, it is messy to clean up in the shop.  (I have worked in a tire shop and cleaned up the mess).

:agree 

Had a flat in my M6 and tried the factory BMW slime, which worked well enough to get to Discount Tire, but I didn't give them a head's-up and when they busted down the tire, I could hear the tech cussing all the way inside the store.  I apologized, but it didn't seem to help...

Runflats here too. I’ve got to use them twice over the years. Both time it was in my garage. No not things picked up in my garage but came out to go somewhere and got the dic msg. Drove to Discount without changing.  

I have (and prefer) run flats.  However, I still carry a repair kit. 

My tire kit consists of a reamer, plugs, glue, stabby thing for inserting the plug, and an air compressor that runs off the cigarette lighter plug. 

Never have used slime, so can't say about that.  I have heard the tire repair folks hate slime.

I have used my tire kit a couple of times, it worked fine. 

Earlier this year I even used it to repair a run-flat.  The tire was flat, the puncture was too close to the sidewall for the shop to repair, my replacement tire was going to take 10 days to arrive, and my Vette is my daily driver and only car.  I drove all over on that patched tire for 10 days with no issues, it never lost air. 

Thanks guys for responding. I’m not a fan of SLIME EITHER,but I will definitely get a compressor & repair kit. 👍🙏

DONT KNOW ABOUT RUN FLATS IVE HEARD THEY ARE GOOD, BUT HEAVY & expensive. 🤔

Other than getting a low tire DIC message and using a 12v compressor to pump up a flat enough to travel to help, there are 4 things that seem sufficient to overcome nearly every road trip problem. Cash, Credit Cards, Cell Phone, and a Sidearm. I also carry first-aid supplies and safety items for personal/bodily injuries and emergencies, since flat tires are really only nuisance issues. 

11 hours ago, Ray55 said:

Thanks guys for responding. I’m not a fan of SLIME EITHER,but I will definitely get a compressor & repair kit. 👍🙏

DONT KNOW ABOUT RUN FLATS IVE HEARD THEY ARE GOOD, BUT HEAVY & expensive. 🤔

The caveat on HOXXOH's tire approach is that sometimes, the air is coming out faster than you can put it back in, and without run flats then you're hoping there is cell service and a flatbed tow truck somewhere handy...

I have been running Michelin PS2 run flats consistently (with only 1 exception) since 2008.  I love them.  For me, they are the sweet spot between performance and convenience; the amount of extra cost is worth it to me.  They do ride a little harder than a nice sticky tire, but I get decent mileage, they stick as hard as I want to run up Yarnell Hill, and I don't mind that my car rides like a sports car.  The only time I didn't have run flats (on a recently purchased Vette) I ended up patching the inside tread on rear tire in an asphalt parking lot at 4:00 pm in August while wearing yoga pants.  An experience I have sworn to NEVER repeat. :smilelol

As with everything else, it depends on your preferences. . .make yourself happy!

Discount would not fix this front.   Said it was too close to the edge???    I stuck a "sticky rope string" in.   It lost zero air over the next year until I wore thru to the cord on the RT66 Fun Run.

Screw in Tire 28,000 miles.JPG

tire cord.jpg

14 minutes ago, Ray55 said:

Too close to the edge? 😱

Is it a run flat? 

Yes, It still had thread when I left for the Brown Bag in Prescott......

Those patches seem to hold really well. 

The only reason I went ahead and got a new tire when I did was because I was going on a 3,000+ mile road trip shortly and didn't want to risk it. 

Back when, I purchased a Z06 inflator kit off eBay.  Tire sealant per GM to not mess up the tpms, comes with the compressor, nice case that fits into one of the back cubbies.  Then I carried a plug kit.  I don't know if the newer model Z's come with that kit, but that might be one option for some peace of mind.  I never ran runflats on my car because the originals felt like bricks

On 12/22/2021 at 9:37 AM, Chameleon said:

The caveat on HOXXOH's tire approach is that sometimes, the air is coming out faster than you can put it back in, and without run flats then you're hoping there is cell service and a flatbed tow truck somewhere handy...

I have been running Michelin PS2 run flats consistently (with only 1 exception) since 2008.  I love them.  For me, they are the sweet spot between performance and convenience; the amount of extra cost is worth it to me.  They do ride a little harder than a nice sticky tire, but I get decent mileage, they stick as hard as I want to run up Yarnell Hill, and I don't mind that my car rides like a sports car.  The only time I didn't have run flats (on a recently purchased Vette) I ended up patching the inside tread on rear tire in an asphalt parking lot at 4:00 pm in August while wearing yoga pants.  An experience I have sworn to NEVER repeat. :smilelol

As with everything else, it depends on your preferences. . .make yourself happy!

Three things.

1. Stranded with a flat or destroyed tire and no cellphone service is less of a problem than a myriad of other things that could fail on any car. Flagging down the next car on the road for help resolves the communication concern. The sidearm is there to ensure your personal safety during the process.

2. What part of your non-runflat patching experience could have made it better? Outside tread vs inside, front tire vs rear tire, concrete vs asphalt, 6:00 AM vs 4:00 PM, April vs August, or wearing different pants?

3. Please don't make me bleed when you beat me profusely to "make yourself happy" for the #2 thing.  :rolf  :hide::hide:  :bolt:

Should I delete this post now or suffer later???? :pensativo:

That’s a good one & I see your point. 
I love Yarnell Hill on the motorcycle, can’t wait to try it in the vette. 
Thx for your help & info   👍

9 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

2. What part of your non-runflat patching experience could have made it better? Outside tread vs inside, front tire vs rear tire, concrete vs asphalt, 6:00 AM vs 4:00 PM, April vs August, or wearing different pants?

3. Please don't make me bleed when you beat me profusely to "make yourself happy" for the #2 thing.  :rolf  :hide::hide:  :bolt:

Should I delete this post now or suffer later???? :pensativo:

2. Any or all of the items listed would have improved the experience.  

3. You have to go to sleep sometime, and I know where you live...:smilelol