Lots of bugs to work out

OldSkool

Hey guys,

So if you know my story cool, if not, cool. Long story short, this is my dad's and I corvette, he passed, it sat for 6 years, after a long battle I was able to buy it from his estate, long story. Had to put it back together because 2 years prior to his passing, he took a lot of stuff apart for no reason, was a little delusional at the end.  

I ordered a set of tires, only ones I could find matched were a set of continental track tires, mainly due to the big wheels out back (its mini tubbed), so that sucks but it should help plant this beast to the ground better. It's no way going to be a daily anyway. 

I've been driving him all weekend trying to get out all the old fuel and run some marvel mystery oil through the tank. At one point just cruising along I destroyed the belt, should have replaced it, hindsight. I was able to drive it home, the electric water pump saved the day. I have drained and replaced the engine and procharger oil, bleed and filled the breaks. Coolant will be next. I also flushed and filled the snow tank. 

At one point I ran out of fuel with just under half a tank showing on the fuel gauge. Luckily I was pulling in the driveway. My dad had 4 cans of VP 110 race gas lying around and I brought those home with me. I tossed one can in the tank and went for a spin, holy hell! I woke the beast and drove it like it was tuned for, brought back so many memories. I can't completley floor it in any gear, it just looses traction and redlines. During all the smiles and memories, the car shuttered and all the alarms and lights went off.

The car dropped to 2k RPM and the throttle was unresponsive, the dash said reduced engine power, service active handling, and service traction system. Shutting the car off and restarting it cleared the issue till I accelerated heavily again, and this went on for aboit 6 times. We never had this problem 8 years ago when the car was driving fine. Sitting all that time may have triggered something. At one point it stopped doing it but now when I lay into it, it hesitates horribly and won't accelerate hard. 

Any tips or insight on these issues would be greatly appreciated. I know Google is my friend and I will get to that, just been real busy with life. Thanks in advance. 

20211216_174749.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Screenshot_20211215-121006_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

Do a search for grounding issues. It sounds like that’s what you’re seeing. 

Thanks desertdawg, I'll get on that first. 

8 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

Do a search for grounding issues. It sounds like that’s what you’re seeing. 

:withstupid   Something as simple as a single bad connector or pin (depending on location) can cause a cascade of issues. 

Or, you may have several things going on at once to track down individually. . .

. . . possibly fuel contaminants messing with your injectors?

Your statement of "At one point I ran out of fuel with just under half a tank showing on the fuel gauge" reminded me that C5 fuel guages are generally fussy about fuel, and can get uncooperative/half-functional depending on the fuel used.  My C5 I used Chevron or added a bottle of Techron regularly to keep the fuel guage  working consistently and accurately.  One tank of "unknown source" fuel on a road trip and my guage would stick at 1/2. 

3 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

:withstupid   Something as simple as a single bad connector or pin (depending on location) can cause a cascade of issues. 

Or, you may have several things going on at once to track down individually. . .

. . . and possibly fuel contaminants messing with your injectors?

Your statement of "At one point I ran out of fuel with just under half a tank showing on the fuel gauge" reminded me that C5 fuel guages are generally fussy about fuel, and can get uncooperative/half-functional depending on the fuel used.  My C5 I used Chevron or added a bottle of Techron regularly to keep the fuel guage  working consistently and accurately.  One tank of "unknown source" fuel on a road trip and my guage would stick at 1/2. 

Okay I will check all grounds, then all connections. I'm sure the old fuel was unpleasant for the motor. The race fuel woke it all up again. It has a aftermarket pump and sending unit but I may drop the tanks anyway, these have a secondary pump on the passenger tank if I remember right, could it be possible that it's not functioning...??