2001-2005 Corvette

Ray55

Thanks for letting me join this group. 
I have an interest in possibly buying a Corvette for the years 2001 -2005. 
wondering what the differences are, and anything I should look for for specific problems within those years. Those of you that own those particular years what are your impressions. I appreciate all the help I can get before I start looking. Thank you for all of your help.  🙏

97-04 were C5 models. Great cars if you find a clean low mileage one 

05 was first of the C6 model. Do some research and you’ll find they had a number of weak points.

I’d hold out for an 08 or newer if you want a C6. 08 was the start of the LS3 motor.  

Thx Eddie for your info. I can’t afford an 08. I’ve got a few 01-04 low mileage 1 owner ones I might look at. 
Would like to find out about their weak points. 👍🙏

I’m doing research on the C-5 model years. Finding a few problems to look for. Starting to narrow it down to 02-04. Any C-5 owners give me more info so I don’t make a big mistake. 🙏

Former 04 owner....only issue was the cracked fuel tank on top of the tank. No fuel just vapors...was replaced under warranty. Owned for 5 years and around 35k on the clock. Enjoy the search!

Only look at 01' and up due to EBCM changes.  If you go older and the relay in the brake control module goes bad, you're hosed.  In '01 and up, they can be repaired.  Make peace with the fact that if the oil pan gasket and the rear seal haven't been replaced, its just a matter of time and its not a cheap thing.  Good question to ask the previous owner

Also, be ready to put a new ignition switch in it, again, its about the age and not so much the ignition cycles.  They have all sorts of quirks, you're almost buying a classic at this age, but they are one hell of a car.

Former '01 owner here.  It was a fabulous car.  Sold it with 120K on the odo and it was still going strong. 

Headlight gears are plastic, and usually get dysfunctional; brass replacements are a good upgrade. 

These cars can be a bit fussy on fuel - top tier highly recommended, so plan on fueling at Chevron or feeding some Techron periodically. My fuel guage would stick if I used "off brand" fuel, self resolve with Chevron/Techron. 

I never had the ignition switch issue, but those are common. 

Good luck on your search!

Just purchased an 01 about a month ago. It is a bit of a work in progress meaning the usual things that are common like an oil pressure switch, I repaired a previously poorly repaired ecbm module, HVAC vent actuator repair, one window regulator, various light bulbs, a couple of front tires, headlight motor gear, a full four wheel alignment, steering wheel free play fix, and all fluids changed, cleaned all ground points, etc. Nothing major, runs excellent, drives well.

It appears that that the last owner just let stuff go. I call it a rescue. The rear tires and pads and rotors were new.. I'm a mechanic and retired. I enjoy fixing it up myself. It cleaned up very well. It has 122k on it. Perfect compression,no oil consumption so far. The price was right and it's always been a southern, southwest car.

In my opinion a well cared for higher mileage car can be a better choice than a garage queen sometimes, The more documented service history the better. What was wrong with mine is going to be an issue with most and may have been addressed on higher mileage cars already. Good luck on your search.

IMG_20211113_140956~9.jpg

Anyone in the Mesa AZ area that Really knows these cars? I’m looking at an 01 with 65,000 miles  today. Asking $14,500. 
What do you guys think? 
🙏

There is a shop in Tempe Classic Gold that works on plenty of late model Corvettes.  I would suggest you meeting Michael and paying him to check it out.  The low miles suggest it received tender loving care for some period and possibly left alone and neglected for other times.  With a twenty year old car, plan on spending $200 a month on repairs and upgrades.  The month that you don't spend the sum, bank it for a future month when you will.