78 steering column !!! Wont start, blink, blow, tilt, or steer !!!!! Pleae help !

rocknroll

Steering column has given me trouble for a while, but when it stopped starting I had to take action.  Can't finish the restore if it wont run and move about.  Key turns but does not engage ANYTHING, telescoping is lame, signal doesn't work well, no horn, so instead of just making it start I think I need a complete rebuild !  My mechanic agrees. Said it would be cheaper to find one working than to rebuild this one. My problem is that I can't find anyone who has a steering column to replace it with. I would send it for a rebuild if I knew someone who was reputable. But I don't.  All the Corvette parts suppliers, "CORVETTE MODS, ETC. ) Have been no help so far. Anyone have a steering column that will fit or know who I can send it to for a rebuild ???  Also, I heard that the 78 Vette had three different columns at one time or the other and I need to be cautious about buying one.......anyone know anything about this ?   For what it's worth I'd like to keep  this under a thousand. Is that possible or am I dreaming ?  hope someone has some good advice here. Really appreciate all the help in the past and any help anyone can give now. Big Thanx in advance !!!

ROCK N ROLL !!!

We had a similar problem with our 78 except with the car running and lowering the tilt wheel, the car would shut off. There was a short in the column and our then mechanic didn't want to tear into the column so the work around was to install a starter button that runs directly to the starter but still requires the key to energize the electrical system. I won't recommend that shop that did this for us but I would check either with vintage Iron in Scottsdale or Classic Gold in Tempe to see if they will or can do this for you.