Using year correct license plates in AZ

Timmert

Hi all,

so my C3 just arrived, and I have to go get it registered. 
I would love to have 1972 AZ plates on the car, because I like that look better than the new plates / new classic car plates.

Has anyone on here done this, and what are the requirements to make this legal?

Picture of my new car, and an example of old plates for sale.

Thanks!

Tim

22C1D72A-7584-40CD-81C3-F76E46F5B2F1.jpeg

18274129-83CD-49A5-BAA1-024ECE47B8E1.jpeg

I would go with the antique/classic car plates. Much cheaper to register and you can register for 5yrs. The registration on my wifes 78 vette was @$120 for a 5 yr registration and no emissions testing. I would also recommend getting classic car insurance that will give you a guaranteed replacement cost. Contact Aenigma here on ACE or look at Hagerty or Grundy. We have Hagerty and they have been really great.

You can go to MVD to find if this license plate is currently in use or has anything assigned to it like being stolen, or something.  If it is not, you should be able to use it as your license plate.   looked into this at one time, thinking about getting a 1964 license plate for my '64.

27 minutes ago, Dave64 said:

You can go to MVD to find if this license plate is currently in use or has anything assigned to it like being stolen, or something.  If it is not, you should be able to use it as your license plate.   looked into this at one time, thinking about getting a 1964 license plate for my '64.

That's what I'm planning to do. 

Fun / useless fact I just learned: all AZ plates between 69-72 will say 69 at the top. They only added renewal stickers for 70-72.

https://www.15q.net/AZ.html

Are you talking about the antique/classic ones?  If so, yes, they are like that.

I chose not to go the 1964 plate when I decided to go with the Route 66 one with my ole "KWICKY" special plate.

3 hours ago, Dave64 said:

Are you talking about the antique/classic ones?  If so, yes, they are like that.

I chose not to go the 1964 plate when I decided to go with the Route 66 one with my ole "KWICKY" special plate.

That’s a really good suggestion. I forgot about the Route 66 plates!  Those should look real good 🤘

A bunch of us in the hot rod world had cars that looked like they were built in 1962, but, like what Timmert discovered, Arizona didn't issue "1962" plates, only stickers.  So we found the plates with the correct stickers, verified through servicearizona.com that those plate IDs weren't currently used, then requested personalized plates using those IDs.  We ran the '62 plates on the cars (I had a '31 Model A coupe with a flathead), but kept the "official" plates, with the correct stickers and everything, inside the car in case we were questioned.  One of the guys was pulled over, but once he showed the officer the current plate and explained what was going on, he let him go.

20151114_085009_zpsfdidguht.JPG

Just had to throw my Route 66 tag in, too.  I had quite a time convincing the MVD clerk this was not a lewd word.

IMG_20210417_221257_01.thumb.jpg.deebcf7eb93d33824e3ffaee72ad2cc9.jpg

• Haha 2