Recommendations for Mechanic to Fix Fuel Smell, etc.

mahdaeng

Hello All!

I am new to this forum. Over the last few days I have posted some variation of this across a couple of threads, as replies to other people's comments. I decided it would be better to compile my questions into one thread and post it here. Please forgive any repetition.

I just got an '08. I noticed the gas smell after filling up the tank (like many other people here), before I learned that was a bad idea on a C6. Because this is normally due to a manufacturing defect, GM has offered some coverage assistance for repairing vehicles that are less than 10 years old and have fewer than 120,000 miles. Unfortunately, he GM coverage doesn't apply to me because this car is an '08, so it is now beyond the 10 year limit.

I took it in to a dealership in Tucson. They replaced both fuel pumps, and now more than $3500 later, the smell remains. The mechanic told me that it may be coming from the charcoal canister. That sounds like a bit of a shoulder-shrugging cop-out to me, but I am not an expert on Vette repairs, so who knows? They did do a smoke test and found no leaks, and the pressure all seemed correct. Here is an excerpt from the work detail:

...Seal and smoke test fuel/evap system and inspect for leaks. No leaks found. Fuel tank pressure sensor parameter stayed around 6.0inh20 and did not drop - indicating no leaks present. Suspect residual fuel from previous repair or evap charcoal canister saturation from recent fill up...Advise customer to return if problem persists.

This was from the third time I took the car in to these people, and I am not inclined to take it in to them and get jerked around yet again. I am extremely disappointed with this dealership, because this is apparently a VERY common problem and these guys just gave up trying to fix it (after they got paid handsomely, of course). I am also angry GM in general, since this is a manufacturing defect that has affected a huge percentage of C6 owners. If the parts and design are defective, there should be no coverage limit to the age of the vehicle (and mine only has 27,000 miles on it, by the way).

In the meantime, I am driving the car around to burn up some fuel to see if the smell goes away when the tank is less full, and I have to store it outside the garage because of the fumes.

This all leads me to the following questions that I hope some of you can help me out with:

1. If the problem is, indeed, saturation of the charcoal canister, does that mean it will flush itself out over time? Or do I need to flush it out? Or does it need to be replaced?
  2. According to other posts I've read (and also a response on a different thread from @TheCMSH), the problem could be the crossover tube. If that is the case, could the smoke test have missed a leak there?
  3. I've seen a few Phoenix area shops mentioned on this forum. Does anyone have any suggestions for Tucson area shops that are competent with Vettes and honest?
  4. Does anyone have any tips for me on possibly getting GM (or the dealership) to cover at least part of this expense?

Thank you in advance.

I have yet to have this problem with mine but from what I gather, the leak/smell may very well be coming from the saddle tank crossover tube. The C6 has 2 tanks that are connected by a tube and this has been the culprit of several gas smell questions. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend a shop in Tucson but to question #2, I do believe this is your issue as stated by TheCmsh.

I'd be raising holy hell with the Service manager dealership owner too.

You took the car to them for problem X. They changed some parts ,you paid them. Problem X still exists.

What was you're payment for then? If you want to just throw money away you'd give it to the bum on the corner right??

DId they give you the bad parts that they changed back?  Then how can they prove said parts were ever changed?

If the fuel crossover were leaking you would have fuel on the ground when filling or car would "run out of gas " with a half tank still showing.

On 10/29/2021 at 4:57 PM, Extender32 said:

I have yet to have this problem with mine but from what I gather, the leak/smell may very well be coming from the saddle tank crossover tube. The C6 has 2 tanks that are connected by a tube and this has been the culprit of several gas smell questions. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend a shop in Tucson but to question #2, I do believe this is your issue as stated by TheCmsh.

Thank you, @Extender32. That could very well be the case. If so, I'll need to prove it somehow - or see if those clowns at the dealership will be trustworthy enough to prove it (and do something about it).

From what I gather, there seems to be a dearth of knowledgeable Vette mechanics in the Tucson area. I'd be happy to hear about any good ones within a 2-hour radius from here, though.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 5:05 PM, Azmotorhead said:

I'd be raising holy hell with the Service manager dealership owner too.

You took the car to them for problem X. They changed some parts ,you paid them. Problem X still exists.

What was you're payment for then? If you want to just throw money away you'd give it to the bum on the corner right??

DId they give you the bad parts that they changed back?  Then how can they prove said parts were ever changed?

If the fuel crossover were leaking you would have fuel on the ground when filling or car would "run out of gas " with a half tank still showing.

You raise some very good points, @Azmotorhead. They did NOT give me the defective parts that they changed out. I have not seen any fuel on the ground, or streaks or dripping from anywhere.

Plus, I just noticed last night that one exhaust pipe is now sitting slightly lower than the other. If this were an anatomically correct model of the human testicles, it would make sense. But these are Corvette exhaust pipes. I'm pretty sure they should be sitting level with each other (someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

I may have to raise holy hell, indeed.

P.S., You may be saddened to learn, @Azmotorhead, that my car is, in fact, red.