Rear end is bow legged

TopherAZ

I was following the wife the other day when she was driving our 79,and noticed the rear tires were angled in at the top (riding on the inside tread of each tire). 

What am I looking at replacing, just the shocks? 

If anyone could point me towards the parts needed and a good place to order them, I'd really appreciate it. 

Please don't suggest Willcox for parts. 

Bad experience with them. 

Thanks in advance. 

20210529_063318.jpg

1 hour ago, TopherAZ said:

I was following the wife the other day when she was driving our 79,and noticed the rear tires were angled in at the top (riding on the inside tread of each tire). 

What am I looking at replacing, just the shocks? 

If anyone could point me towards the parts needed and a good place to order them, I'd really appreciate it. 

Please don't suggest Willcox for parts. 

Bad experience with them. 

Thanks in advance. 

20210529_063318.jpg

Shocks are more than likely not the issue on a C3 and what you are describing. Take a "good look" at your strut rods and the rubber bushings, they are either way out of adjustment or they are shot and need to be replaced. While your at it, look at your trailing arms, but that is more than likely not the issue, but they do go bad. How many miles on it? Vansteel is a good place for these parts. GL

https://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=shop.SubGroups&Group=30003

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You let your wife drive your Vette :eek  

j/k

My 82 had worn out trailing arm bushings giving it the squatty pigeon toe look. 
Joe at Classic Gold Auto did a great job replacing them and getting the alignment spot on. 

• Haha 1

Thanks guys! 

Here are a few pics of the driver's side. 

What parts would you all suggest from seeing this? 

20210718_092801.jpg

20210718_092705.jpg

20210718_092746.jpg

Have a look further inboard on the strut rods where you make the adjustment on the eccentric, the bushing may be gone? The strut rods either pull the tire IN or push it OUT. ANY rubber bushing that is cracked should be replaced.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

Have a look further inboard on the strut rods where you make the adjustment on the eccentric, the bushing may be gone? The strut rods either pull the tire IN or push it OUT. ANY rubber bushing that is cracked should be replaced.

??? 

20210718_112818.jpg

20210718_112755.jpg

I'd say replace the strut rod bushings, or replace them with better, adjustable strut rods, spring hanger kits and trailing arm bushings.  All the bushings I can see look a bit worn under there.

• Thanks 1

Here is what I did on the strut rods. I got tired of my rods not staying adjusted after a couple burnouts with DRs on the back. I went to chrome moly heim joint rods that I made my self. They work awesome, easy to adjust and give the car a more firm planted feel. I had my machinist make me a couple close tolerance shims and works well and never have to worry about the rubber bushings again. I would also replace those rubber bushings and be done with it.

20210719_095528(0).jpg

20190320_123925.jpg

20190320_124957.jpg

• Like 1

Looks awesome Buc! I'm not sure I can go as balls-out as you did w/ the adjustable strut rod, but I am going to replace it and the rest of the bushings w/ this kit from corvette Central. 

Thoughts on the kit? Other things to consider? 

That should help, though, I prefer beefier, adjustable strut rods. 👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TopherAZ said:

Looks awesome Buc! I'm not sure I can go as balls-out as you did w/ the adjustable strut rod, but I am going to replace it and the rest of the bushings w/ this kit from corvette Central. 

Thoughts on the kit? Other things to consider? 

Although you can use that one, I would HIGHLY recommend going with the adjustable struts. You will not regret it. You can even get the rubber bushing adjustable hiem ends if you like, the kits are out there. Try Van Steele.

52 minutes ago, Buccaneer said:

Although you can use that one, I would HIGHLY recommend going with the adjustable struts. You will not regret it. You can even get the rubber bushing adjustable hiem ends if you like, the kits are out there. Try Van Steele.

I wish I had the coin to go with the adjustable ones. But the current ones lasted over 40 years and 50,000 miles so hopefully the new ones will too. 

Here's hoping!  

Thanks again, Buc and Dave! 

Thanks for the help guys. 

The kit and stainless brake lines are ordered fron corvettecentral.com (I hope they actually fulfill orders, unlike Willcocks). Shocks are available locally. 

Should be a fun next couple of weeks. 

Take pictures and post them to keep this thread going with your rebuild.
We love making fun of your goofs since we can’t be there to break things ourselves. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

Take pictures and post them to keep this thread going with your rebuild.
We love making fun of your goofs since we can’t be there to break things ourselves. 

Oh I will. 

49 minutes ago, Buccaneer said:

If you haven't purchased them yet, have a look here at Duntov Corvette.

Struts

New stuff is on the way. Struts? I can't imagine the struts would be bad... right? They are just metal bars. LOL 

• 2 weeks later...

Drivers side completion so far... 

Shock

20210801_150039.thumb.jpg.e4e0f6445ce7b5bcadf36e3a11c62266.jpg

Strut rod and adjustment bolt

20210801_150051.thumb.jpg.7d8bd61fa339e25ec2ca1a9360fa1f3d.jpg

S/S Brake line

20210801_150031.thumb.jpg.7bc6b975450b658666c60282876fba01.jpg

Spring connector 

20210801_150220.thumb.jpg.a9e6ea33a2cae9f9e218aeaac9ebe5c7.jpg

Tell the wife she missed a spot… :LolLol:

looking good, all I did this weekend was take calls and sleep. 

• Haha 1

Since it's all apart, I went ahead and got the caliper high temp o-ring conversion kit from corvettecentral.com and threw it I today. 

Also got a new brake line w/ armor. 

20210808_144037.thumb.jpg.b409860547e01412918e75ddc5b6d5d9.jpg20210808_144031.thumb.jpg.911884f5644216c128c14b88987c76a5.jpg

• Like 1

Azmotorhead

Hate to tell you this: the big washers on the spring bushings are on upside down. the rounded end should be towards the rubber bushing.

Not terribly important just being critical

1 hour ago, Azmotorhead said:

Hate to tell you this: the big washers on the spring bushings are on upside down. the rounded end should be towards the rubber bushing.

Not terribly important just being critical

Thanks for the head's up. It's all still taken apart so that's an easy fix. 

👍

I've noticed that the rear wheels (in neutral) are very hard to turn. The wheels and rotor are off so it can't be the e-brake, right? No grinding noise so it seems the bearings are not the cause. What elst could it be? I can not grab onto the lug studs and turn it by hand. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 5:47 PM, TopherAZ said:

I've noticed that the rear wheels (in neutral) are very hard to turn. The wheels and rotor are off so it can't be the e-brake, right? No grinding noise so it seems the bearings are not the cause. What elst could it be? I can not grab onto the lug studs and turn it by hand. 

Ebrake shoes holding it, or if the rear wheels are at full droop the half shaft ujoints may be binding

• Upvote 1