ignition switch

ken sebahar

ken sebahar

03 50th option auto  35000.miles...Last week key would not go into ignition switch  .Put some powder graphite in and finally got it in all the way.( did not force it just eased it)  Everything works lights radio etc but nothing when I go to start it...Battery was checked at auto zone and test great ,and full charge. Any ideas what could be wrong. Any vette mechanics around sun city west. (always garaged and worked fine the day before when I parked it..Thanks... 

Check for codes?  If you don;'y know how it is super easy. You might try your spare key and see if it works.  If so the pellet may be dirty on your original key.  If you don't have a spare try cleaning off the pellet and re-try

Desertdawg

Yep probably dirty. Add the powdered graphite and your issue just gets worse..

try a quick blast of contact cleaner into the keyhole. (Keep a towel handy to prevent drips). The graphite will still work as a friction reducer. 

C5 ignitions are becoming problematic due to age,  Getting the key cylinder out of the actual ignition switch is a breeze, unfortunately you have to remove the key cylinder from the ignition switch itself and requires you to remove the entire center console and knee bolster under the steering wheel to get to it.

If your ignition key cylinder is the culprit (probably), I think that is a dealer part.  unless you're willing to tow it more central, you'll probably need to hit one of the dealerships out that way.  Get the ignition switch itself replace just for insurance, again, they're failing due to age