c7 seized engine at 32k

Beetroot

Whats up everyone. Haven't been around here for a while but wanted to share this in case anyone has any thoughts or advice. 

I bought a 2014 z51 auto a couple years ago. I've put 14,000 miles on it. Oil changes with factory fill mobil 1 0-40. Car is stock other than an aftermarket x pipe. On Friday driving 40mph I heard a light clunk from rear end. Didn't think anything of it, then 30 seconds later got warnings on the dash "service rear axle" and "service stabilitrack". Then the car shut off and a little puff of smoke came from under the hood. No power to the car not even flashers. 

I had it towed to Chapman Chevrolet and they just got it in the shop today and they say seized engine. Tech said he has no idea why everything looked normal other than "the oil looked red" but he didn't keep any of it. They pulled the oil pan and torque tube off and said there were metal pieces in the oil. 

They say $12,100 for a new engine. 

Doesn't seem like i have a lot of options other than to suck it up and pay. Pretty shocked by this. 

I'd be digging deeper into the engine to see the root cause and to identify if it could be rebuilt vs buying a whole new engine. You might even consider the cost of a used engine vs a rebuild or new engine, since the car is 7 years old and there are lots of damaged C7's in salvage yards that still have good engines. I'd guess many even have less than 32K mi.

Personal opinion here. ---- I'd be getting the car towed to an independent shop vs a dealership. (Phil comes to mind as a forum trusted source)

When my original engine in my C6 died at 71K mi, I bought a used (4K mi) engine for $3500 as the replacement. I now have 160K on the car.

FWIW, I second the suggestion for a second opinion. . . too bad they threw out the oil, having that analyzed might have shed some light.     

2 hours ago, Chameleon said:

FWIW, I second the suggestion for a second opinion. . . too bad they threw out the oil, having that analyzed might have shed some light.     

Too late, since the OP has already signed off yesterday for the $12K new engine. I guess he was too anxious and stressed to wait and sort out the advice he requested here and on the big forum.

BTW, the "red" oil was a mixture of oil and antifreeze. A solid indication of either a dead head or a ruptured block wall.

7 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

Too late, since the OP has already signed off yesterday for the $12K new engine. 

Quicker you can “Get-er done” and back on the road, the better your mental health!