NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Car running like doo doo and the adventure on the way home

Guest 1FASTC4

Guest 1FASTC4

Had a real lean problem with the car.. like it had a really bad vacuum leak. Finally found out what it is. All the bolts on my intake manifold... all of them, were loose... really only finger tight. At a friend's house, tightened them all down and hoped to fix the problem. No luck, driving home the car would lean out to the point of missing and back firing unless I was at full throttle or complete idle. The only way I could leave a light without stalling was at full throttle.

Then, Westbound at Camelback and Dysart roads, I launched from the light at full throttle.. was doing 65 immediately.... then the lights came on a ways behind me. I didn't see the cop. I pull over and the now blown intake gasket is leaking oil onto the the headers... significant smoke. Cop asks for DL only. Interior is graphite. wallet is black and it's 10 o'clock at night. I can't find my wallet!!! Cop shines light and gets a good look at interior... no weapons on board( I carry some times) with his help I find my wallet, pass over DL.

Cop takes my DL, and asks me what the heck I'm doing. I figured "what the heck" and told him the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. He replies, "Well it seems to idle fine and did you need to be going 65 MPH?" I stuckwith the truth, told him about the lean problem again and confessed that "You got me there, I was up to 65 before I knew it."

He said, "You are driving recklessly." I said nothing... dread at what this was going to cost me had me by the normally glib tongue. Cop looks at my gauges..."This a race car?" Sticking to the truth but immediately worried I said too much: "No sir, but I'd like to race it when it's running right, there's a track right by my house, up in Surprise." Cop takes a long look at my tires, "Are these street legal?" Reply, "Yessir, they are Goodyears and fully legal and intended for street use."

Cop circles my car.....3 times. He is not admiring it, IMHO, he is giving it a good look to make sure there's no problems. All lights are in working order. *phew*

Cop approaches my window, my DL still in hand. I am literally preparing to undo my seatbelt and step out of the car as I'm sure I'm going to have a seat in the back of the squad.

Cop hands me my license and says, "You need to slow down around here. This place is crawling w/ sheriffs and they will write you up. Reply, "Yessir, thanks for your leniency." Cop gives no reply, returns to his squad, turns 180 and drives off. I felt really unlucky about my intake woes.. but am I really?

Truth works :)

-Frank (put a dab o' hi-temp -orange- RTV silicon ..ok ok .. or locktite ..on the bolts when ya screw 'em down .. wont have that problem again)

phxscooby101

I had that same problem with my intake leaking into the heads on the first go around of my engine. I would suggest replacing all intake gaskets and use the best RTV gasket you can find, the black works well. I also replaced my spark plugs after words because they were fouled pretty good.

FYI: Give the RTV an extra amount of time to dry as it will take alittle longer on the inside. :D

Truth works :)

-Frank (put a dab o' hi-temp -orange- RTV silicon ..ok ok .. or locktite ..on the bolts when ya screw 'em down .. wont have that problem again)

Nah, probably was the end of his shift. :D

Yeah there's still some cool cops around.... Just ask Chris, Phil, and Mark!!!

Naw, he'd already reached his quota for the month and won the flat screen and microwave. He didn't want to look greedy by winning the surround sound too! :lol:lol (sorry, cop humor!)

Naw, he'd already reached his quota for the month and won the flat screen and microwave. He didn't want to look greedy by winning the surround sound too! :lol:lol (sorry, cop humor!)

I think it is all on how you handle the Lawman. :cool