Tire Recommendations Please

Guest UVETTYA

Guest UVETTYA

Since the blowout I now have a plug in the RF tire, the sidewall is shot and I'm not too comfortable driving the Z anywhere but to the tire shop. I could replace one tire but the others are at about 25% tread depth, so I'll prolly do the whole set.

I could prolly stick with the Toyo's up front, if I go with BFG DR's on the rear, but I'd like to keep the same brand on front and rear.

I know everyone has their own preference, and technology is changing constantly, so tell me what you like and why. Especially if you're 400+ RWHP.

I've read a lot of threads on tires over the years, but never paid much attention because I've gone through 4 sets of Toyo's and was completely happy with them. Until two weeks ago that is, and now I need something with a little more traction. :D

Here's a chance to sound off with a free post.

Any suggestions? :lol

Nittos?

BFG DR's?

Michelin PS2's?

Kuhmos?

Steve

I have no advice on this matter since I'm still on Run Craps. However I would suggest round ones and yes Steve they should be BLACK! :lol

I am running Pirelli PZero's 18/19 combo for the everyday street tires. They are awesome during the warm months, I have noticed during Dec - Jan they do not heat up quick enough and they seem like spinning tires :burnout in water :willy . The one draw back is they are very expensive tires.

If you run the BFG Drag Radial in the back, thenI would look at the BFG g-Force T/A KDW tires for the front.

g-force-t-a-drag-radial.jpgg-force-t-a-kdw.jpg

There are other choises out there, but these would be my only 2 experiences so far.

Guest UVETTYA
I have no advice on this matter since I'm still on Run Craps. However I would suggest round ones and yes Steve they should be BLACK! :lol

You are wise beyond your years. :yesnod

:lol

Guest UVETTYA

Thanks guys.

I'm not too keen on the BFG DR's, I owned a set, as you know Phil, and they worked well at the track but I don't think I'd like them on the street. I seem to remember they weren't too good going around corners - but, they weren't designed to go around corners. :lol

I need something that will go around corners too.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Nittos.

I'm thinking the 555 Extreme Performance in a 275 40 ZR 17 for the front

= $149

"Best Seller!

Make no mistake, Nitto's new NT-555 is for the performance-driven individual. When this new tire went on the drawing board, Nitto's engineers utilized racing concepts like the biggest achievable tread contact patch and specially formulated tread compounding to put incredible traction and handling at the very center of the NT 555's character."

And the 555RII Extreme for the rear = $314

"A unique fusion of stiff sidewall construction and Nitto's popular Extreme Drag Radial tread design makes the new NT555RII an exceptional road course performer. Add to that its specially formulated soft compound, and you get a competition radial that exhibits impressive control and handling during severe lateral acceleration. Although the NT555RII is street legal, the tire's construction will offer a rougher ride when used for daily driving."

So far. :lol

Who else has an opinion? I'm all ears. :thumbs

Guest Kens06

I can't help much Steve! But??

I have Toyo's on the front , but two sets of Nitto DR's for the back!

The tractor tire 305/45/18's are great for the strip!!

The used 305/35/18's are still waiting for a set of wheels!!

HOWEVER, Z0SICK(Tony), ran 11.5's with them at the last Speedworld event!!

He has an MTI 402 putting down close to 500!

He walked me on an 80+ highway romp, worse than our fun time!!

The tires must hook good!!

Ken

Guest Sidewinder

Mich Pilot P-Zero in the front & back(hers). No one could hang with us coming down the twisties from Camp Verde. The Nitto DR's do very well for DD. I had the BFG DR's on the back and hated them.

I can't help but this c6 sure is fast. And I don't lke the runflats that are on it. They sure do not corner well at all or I am just going to fast. Tell me about the runlflats are they any good or not?

400HP.... Is that flywheel or to the ground? GM tells me I have 400 HP but I don't believe them.

As for tires I have had two sets of the Michelins PS runflats on the C5 and I loved them. They are a little more $$ than other brands but well worth it. :thumbs

400HP.... Is that flywheel or to the ground? GM tells me I have 400 HP but I don't believe them.

As for tires I have had two sets of the Michelins PS runflats on the C5 and I loved them. They are a little more $$ than other brands but well worth it. :thumbs

But Eddie you did do a circle at the drag strip. :devil on runflats :D

I am asking around them because I sure am a lot looser with what is on this one than I was with what I had. Which were Kuhmos If I remember right. Hell that cars have been gone for oh most a week can't remeber what was on it. I am over the hill.

Guest UVETTYA
I can't help much Steve! But??

I have Toyo's on the front , but two sets of Nitto DR's for the back!

The tractor tire 305/45/18's are great for the strip!!

The used 305/35/18's are still waiting for a set of wheels!!

HOWEVER, Z0SICK(Tony), ran 11.5's with them at the last Speedworld event!!

He has an MTI 402 putting down close to 500!

He walked me on an 80+ highway romp, worse than our fun time!!

The tires must hook good!!

Ken

Thanks Ken.

I have a set of ET Streets mounted on 17" speedlines, for the track, so I'm good to go there. I'm looking more for something on the street that will hook well but corner too.

BTW, I want another romp. The phaying field has been leveled some, since our last romp. :D

You too Mark. We need to do a 5th gear roll-on. :yesnod

Any suggestions? :lol

Nittos?

BFG DR's?

Michelin PS2's?

Kuhmos?

Steve?

Warning, stay away from the Steve brand, I heard they are old and tend to flat spot if you leave them sit in one place to long!!!!!

:D

Steve?

Warning, stay away from the Steve brand, I heard they are old and tend to flat spot if you leave them sit in one place to long!!!!!

:D

rimshot.wav

Guessin you want stickies that have sidewall to corner with :)

I'm a bit of a noob to the whole 'corner' thing, ..I'd ask on the Corvette Forum tho .. bet ya could get quite a few opinions there in no time, and some even backed up by facts :)

-Frank (and I've already heard that run flats just don't 'do it' :)

But Eddie you did do a circle at the drag strip. :devil on runflats :D

I am asking around them because I sure am a lot looser with what is on this one than I was with what I had. Which were Kuhmos If I remember right. Hell that cars have been gone for oh most a week can't remeber what was on it. I am over the hill.

:smilelol:smilelol Wow, you are old...you had Kuhmos on your old ride. :smilelol:smilelol

They may be good tires, but I would not recommend them...they are only "R" rated...not "Z" like they should be.

I think the Nitto is the way to go. Seems like the BFG DR's sway too much. I never had issues with them but on Vettes they seem to be not as good.

Andrew

:agree

:withstupid

from what i'm told, i got a lot of miles out of my BFG DRs (just a hair over 4000)

i remember a road trip up in the mountains with glenn behind us - he didn't have his sway bars on - and it felt like i didn't either!!!! :eek and we were cornering well above posted limits (hypothetically speaking of course) :leaving

my next set will be Nittos! :burnout

Guest AZ Power & Sound

Alright, coming from a guy whos tried every tire, and worked for discount direct before :)

Nitto and Toyo are the same rubber... same company, same product! They are a good bang for the buck tire but by no means sticky or good for traction. Wear is pretty decent and once in a while you get a balancing issue from a defective tire. Drag radials are pretty cool... last a long time and hook well, but run a good inch small, so compensate accordingly!

BFG tires I really like and have run, but be careful as they run BIG! They are also a much heavier tire then some of the other tires. Traction is above average, but still a street tire

PS1/PS2 - since running these I will never use another tire again... if a tire could be perfect, the michelin Pilot Sport would be it... these are rediculously expensive though

PZeros - similar to michelin, just not quite the traction... I ran these for a while on my Z06 and liked them a lot, but once I went to the PS2, I didnt go back!

Falken - best bang for the buck available! Great tire with great traction at an affordable price... downside is they run a bit small... so plan accordingly!

Yokohama - I had good luck running the DBs but they were more of a cheap tire as compared to many others available. The Falken FK451 is a better alternative and almost identicle tread pattern

Guest UVETTYA

Thanks everyone for your input.

A set of PS2's shipped, is about $1230. The Nittos would be about $300 less. Can you get me a deal on either? :D

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Thanks everyone for your input.

A set of PS2's shipped, is about $1230. The Nittos would be about $300 less. Can you get me a deal on either? :D

what sizes?