What's Causing My Fuel Gauge Problem ?

ZWOW6

Twice now I have had my fuel gauge go completely down to zero gas, the dash light says low fuel, and the check gauges light then comes on. Both times I've had about 1/3 of a tank of gas in the car !

I'm not sure where to look for the problem. I thought the first time it happened was because I had something hit the underside of the car, no visible damage i can see, and the 2nd time it happen a week or so later with no reason at all. If I turn the car off and restart it , the gauge still read zero gas, if I put gas in then the gauges rise to the right amount of fuel. ???

Any ideas where to look for possible damage to the wiring, or what else might be causing the problem ?

thanks Guys/Gals....... Happy New Year and good health to all......

C5's have always had a problem with the fuel gauge readings.

It has to do with the part that sits on the top of your fuel tank I believe. There is no easy way to check it. If you are still under warranty, take it in and have them repair it.

I have also read on CF that a few tanks of Chevron and or Techron will clear this problem up also...More will chime in on this issue.

I have also read on CF that a few tanks of Chevron and or Techron will clear this problem up also...More will chime in on this issue.

:agree My 02 did it any time I ran more than one tank of any gas but Chevron. I'd switch back to Chevron and within 2-3 tanks it would clear up. It's the sulphur content in gas particularly here in the west. The Techron in Chevron gas clears it up. If you don't have a Chevron sta close then buy a couple bottles of Techron additive at Checker/AutoZone. There are rare cases of sender failure but I'm betting on the sulphur. Good Luck!

:agree My 02 did it any time I ran more than one tank of any gas but Chevron. I'd switch back to Chevron and within 2-3 tanks it would clear up. It's the sulphur content in gas particularly here in the west. The Techron in Chevron gas clears it up. If you don't have a Chevron sta close then buy a couple bottles of Techron additive at Checker/AutoZone. There are rare cases of sender failure but I'm betting on the sulphur. Good Luck!

Good to know guys. Thanks a bunch, even though I don't have this problem....yet!!! :thumbs

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Twice now I have had my fuel gauge go completely down to zero gas, the dash light says low fuel, and the check gauges light then comes on. Both times I've had about 1/3 of a tank of gas in the car !

I'm not sure where to look for the problem. I thought the first time it happened was because I had something hit the underside of the car, no visible damage i can see, and the 2nd time it happen a week or so later with no reason at all. If I turn the car off and restart it , the gauge still read zero gas, if I put gas in then the gauges rise to the right amount of fuel. ???

Any ideas where to look for possible damage to the wiring, or what else might be causing the problem ?

A lot of times the small wire brushes that the float use to measure fuel get oily and cannot read... I have found that Mobil gas seems to cause this issue the worst which is why I only use Chevron and QT now... it should go back to normal after a tank or two, but we take the pumps out , spray them off with brake cleaner and they work fine after that

Yep my old c5 did this also... and the gas trick works.

Mine would do it from time to time. Would always fix itself on restart. Chevron gas seemed to keep the issue at bay for the most part.

We had the same problem too, note that Texico also has techron... I've used it and it cleared up the problem...

Guest UVETTYA

What Eddie, Mike and Dawg said. I've never used anything but Chevron in my Vette. Someone on the Z06vette.com forum says an engineer at GM said they recommend Chevron because of the Techron.

I also pour in a bottle of Techron every oil change. Walmart has the best price.

Never used QT gas in my Vette, but it IS top tier gas and I use it in my Grand Prix. Anyone know the sulpur content of QT gas in comparison to Chevron?

Steve

From AEtechron

Techron is a patented additive developed by Chevron Products Company. Techron reduces accumulation of deposits in fuel injectors and on intake valves, and prevents or removes sulfur deposits from fuel sending units.[citation needed] With the introduction of Techron, Chevron gasolines became the first fuels designated as meeting TOP TIER standards for fuel cleanliness.

Techron is also available as a packaged concentrate, for use with lower quality gasoline ("under-additized"). Both Volvo and Mercedes-Benz have issued factory service bulletins advising the use of concentrated Chevron Techron in repair procedures for vehicles with certain mechanical problems.

Here's the brands that use Techron

Texaco with Techron

Chevron Quality Gas

TOP TIER

Thanks guys, not sure where I got gas last, but I never had the problem before, I do use QT and never had the problem, I sometimes use a place close to work, maybe it's thier gas ??

I'll keep a eye on the problem...... I do have a extended GMPP warrenty, so if It keeps happening then I'll pay the 100 deductable if needed, but I'll try some better gas or additive first.

AZP&S , you guys can do GMPP work right ?

thanks guys Tim

Here's list of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip

Chevron

Conoco

Phillips

Shell

Entec Stations

MFA Oil Company

Kwik Trip/Kwik Star

The Somerset Refinery, Inc.

Chevron-Canada

Aloha Petroleum

Tri-Par Oil Company

Shell-Canada

Texaco

Petro-Canada

Not sure it has to do with "top tier" gas. I used to use Exxon and the gauge problem developed. Chevron made it go away. I use more than one tank of QT (sorry Robert) and I get the problem again. I just stay with Chevron and I don't have a single problem.

Of course I haven't experienced it with the C6 but I also don't want to. :D

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Thanks guys, not sure where I got gas last, but I never had the problem before, I do use QT and never had the problem, I sometimes use a place close to work, maybe it's thier gas ??

I'll keep a eye on the problem...... I do have a extended GMPP warrenty, so if It keeps happening then I'll pay the 100 deductable if needed, but I'll try some better gas or additive first.

AZP&S , you guys can do GMPP work right ?

thanks guys Tim

We sure do! While its out, I think a racetronics fuel pump needs to go back in ;)

Not sure it has to do with "top tier" gas. I used to use Exxon and the gauge problem developed. Chevron made it go away. I use more than one tank of QT (sorry Robert) and I get the problem again. I just stay with Chevron and I don't have a single problem.

Of course I haven't experienced it with the C6 but I also don't want to. :D

Exxon and Mobil are the same company :) EVERY occurance ive fixed or experienced myself was using Exxon-Mobil

AZP&S what is the gas station down the street from you on univeristy ?

I got gas there, after the first time my cars gauge went nuts.

Tim

lucky B@st@rd - you have a quiktrip right outside your shop practically!

now that i hear you recommend quiktrip - i'm IN - the closest 2 to me are 43rd ave. and union hills, and 7th st. and the 101!

A lot of times the small wire brushes that the float use to measure fuel get oily and cannot read... I have found that Mobil gas seems to cause this issue the worst which is why I only use Chevron and QT now... it should go back to normal after a tank or two, but we take the pumps out , spray them off with brake cleaner and they work fine after that

Guest AZ Power & Sound
AZP&S what is the gas station down the street from you on univeristy ?

I got gas there, after the first time my cars gauge went nuts.

Tim

on 52nd and university is QT... thats where I fill up every time I do, or on university and priest is Texaco... if I dont fill up there I use Saads On The Run station on chandler and 44th st