NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Corona Virus COVID-19

Chameleon

50 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

For anyone interested in FACTS, and keeping an eye on Arizona status as the pandemic develops, you can go here:

https://azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/index.php#novel-coronavirus-home

If you have the flu, a common cold, or any other significant respiratory illness, you don't have time to wash your hands between each cough, sneeze, nose blowing, sleeve changes, tissue disposal, and cleaning everything else on the path you followed.

Considering the population density (~ 500/sq mi Maricopa Co ), I'd be more interested in knowing the neighborhood where those who tested positive were based, rather than just somewhere in a 9000+ square mile area like Maricopa County. It's a lot different than Wuhan with 9 million people in less than 600 sq mi. (15,000/ sq mi)

Avoiding contact with people who live 50 miles away, is a lot easier than with someone within 3 miles of my home. How about suggesting pushpins in an online map for each County?

The fear created by the media is worse than the virus.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, HOXXOH said:

If you have the flu, a common cold, or any other significant respiratory illness, you don't have time to wash your hands between each cough, sneeze, nose blowing, sleeve changes, tissue disposal, and cleaning everything else on the path you followed.

Considering the population density (~ 500/sq mi Maricopa Co ), I'd be more interested in knowing the neighborhood where those who tested positive were based, rather than just somewhere in a 9000+ square mile area like Maricopa County. It's a lot different than Wuhan with 9 million people in less than 600 sq mi. (15,000/ sq mi)

Avoiding contact with people who live 50 miles away, is a lot easier than with someone within 3 miles of my home. How about suggesting pushpins in an online map for each County?

I agree! 20,000 have died from the Flu in the US alone this year. Why isn't the flu being covered in the same light?

2 hours ago, Extender32 said:

I agree! 20,000 have died from the Flu in the US alone this year. Why isn't the flu being covered in the same light?

^This^
And why such a panic at the grocery stores. People have been warned for years to have emergency food, water and supplies for such emergencies.

15 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

How about suggesting pushpins in an online map for each County?

Totally agree with you about the media. They are bunch of sensation-mongering lowlifes.

County-level push pins are a great idea Tom, but it will never happen. Due to privacy restrictions, even publishing numbers at the county level in the currently small case counts we're seeing is highly unusual. Small case counts are usually suppressed.

16 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

^^^^  This approach works for isolated sneezes or coughs. If you are actually sick, you should STAY HOME, do not leave the house. Isolate the personal items you are using, and have your family members keep a distance from you and wash their hands often. That applies to colds and flu, not just the coronavirus. If people would voluntarily self-quarantine when they get sick, there would be a lot less illness.

It kind of creeps me out now that this virus has shown me how quickly viruses spread in general. Yucch. 

6 hours ago, Chameleon said:

^^^^  This approach works for isolated sneezes or coughs. If you are actually sick, you should STAY HOME, do not leave the house. Isolate the personal items you are using, and have your family members keep a distance from you and wash their hands often. That applies to colds and flu, not just the coronavirus. If people would voluntarily self-quarantine when they get sick, there would be a lot less illness.

Joyce contracted the flu in early Feb from the DIL (who needed to work) while house-sitting during 2 days of carpet installation, then came home and shared it with me. (no symptoms from anyone at that point). A couple days later it hit hard and after another week, during which I bailed out from the Sat night gathering and Tues Geezer lunch, I took her to the hospital, who confirmed she had the common Type A flu 2019-2020 strain. I recovered quicker, but still limited outside contact to necessities. Of course, the several days prior and afterwords when we felt fine, still had the possibility to spread the flu virus. The point is, that being contagious starts well before symptoms and lasts longer than when you feel good again. Self-quarantine and annual flu shots only reduce the spread until the virus mutates again.

Kissing transmits all sorts of problems, but if you avoid it, the world population will quickly decline. I accepted the risk.

• Like 1

And the down hill slope gains momentum

California, Ohio, Illinois, Massachusetts close bars and restaurants in effort to slow coronavirus

• 3 weeks later...