NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Rocker Channel Replacement (lots Of Pics)

chevy69

I posted this over at CF but thought I would share it here as well. Not as many C3s here as the CF and many don't have rust issues, but my car spent it's early years in MN. With a new frame and having already replaced the windshield frame, the rocker channels were the last place I had to tackle any rust issues so I'm as clean as new at this point. Here's what I posted in CF:

It turns out that I was being optimistic that I could salvage my rocker channels by merely patching them. I am in full replacement mode at this point in time. I had seen redwingvette's posts on his '73 rocker channel replacement, and early on ordered up the 3 piece sets for each side from Zip. When I got the body off the frame they looked pretty good and I thought I could salvage them. That was till I went after them with a pick and a hammer. 3 days into the effort, I have successfully cut out all of the old stuff and have the pockets cleared for the new inserts.

I cleaned the parts from Zip to remove any oil, etc.. and primed them all with etching primer. After that, all the parts were coated twice with rustoleum satin black paint. I will grind off the paint where I need to make my welds. The job is long and hard, but at the end of the day it takes away that one last area of doubt that I had with my restoration (or restomodification as some may call it).

Many thanks to redwingvette (CF member) for his website, postings and PMs wrt what to order up and the process for replacement (even though he is a Redwing fan - go AVs :cheers: ).

I have referred to his website several times.

Here are a few pics of my progress:

Ready for action:

DSC02398.jpg

Dirty work - someone has to do it :D :

DSC02391.jpg

Nasty stuff

DSC02425.jpg

From below

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02423.jpg

DSC02402.jpg

From above:

DSC02420.jpg

DSC02421.jpg

New parts await the welder:

DSC02436.jpg

DSC02448.jpg

That is certainly a big job. Looks like lots of fun. I can't wait to start in on my old Mopar like that. But as usual, there is always something else that needs my attention.

If you ever need some help, let us know. We would love to come watch. I mean help....

Thanks for the pix. Keep up the good work.

Andrew