NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Anyone Ever See This One Before?

Bigfoot

C5 Idle Relearn Procedure

Purpose

This page basically shows you step by step how to do an Idle Relearn. You would want to do this if you have done any intake modifications. If you do not do this, you may have hesitation or other issues.

Tools Required

None.

Do the Job

Follow these procedures EXACTLY or you will have to start from scratch.

1. Insert key into ignition and turn to the "On" position but, DO NOT START THE ENGINE.

2. Pop open the engine fuse block box cover and remove the two 10amp fuses from position numbers 16 & 23.

3. Your DIC will now display "check" messages for ABS, etc...

4. Turn ignition to the "Off" position.

5. Re-insert both 10amp fuses for positions 16 & 23.

6. Start your engine

7. Allow engine coolant temperature to reach a minimum of 176 degrees F and run at this minimum temperature for at least 5 minutes.

8. Shut down engine

9. Let rest for a minimum of 30 seconds.

10. Restart engine - check for DIC error codes (there should be none).

11. Drive car for a minimum of 30 miles at varying rpm settings and speeds. PCM will now re-learn and adjust for the new air flow and air temperature at the intake.

Guest UVETTYA

I haven't heard of that specific procedure, but I've done one similar. Just drop a battery terminal off for about 10 minutes, then hook it back up and start the engine with the AC off, and let it idle for 5 minutes. Then turn on the AC for 2 minutes and the fuel codes will have been reset.

Oh yeah, then you have to teach it WOT. :lol

Steve

I was wondering because when my car is "cold" I get some hesitation/bogging at about half throttle (blackwing installed).

The idle relearn procedure just is a manual reset for fuel and idle trims. They will relearn themselves just about as fast by just letting it sit there idling and driving the car normally. You probably have hesitation because of the blackwing cold air intake. Any cold air intake that is installed on a C5 or C6 I highly recommend a tune because the aftermarket intakes flow so differently across the MAF than the stock airbox does the computer isn't even close anymore. A lot of aftermarket air boxes/cold air intakes throw lean codes because it is so far off.

Guest UVETTYA

Nic, thanks for chiming in. If anyone knows, you should.

I'm headed to AZP&S in a couple minutes. Hope to see you there to tune my Z06. :thumbs

Steve

The idle relearn procedure just is a manual reset for fuel and idle trims. They will relearn themselves just about as fast by just letting it sit there idling and driving the car normally. You probably have hesitation because of the blackwing cold air intake. Any cold air intake that is installed on a C5 or C6 I highly recommend a tune because the aftermarket intakes flow so differently across the MAF than the stock airbox does the computer isn't even close anymore. A lot of aftermarket air boxes/cold air intakes throw lean codes because it is so far off.

How much for that kind of tune Nic? I've heard lots of good things about you. :yesnod

BTW, I'm not getting any codes.

How much for that kind of tune Nic? I've heard lots of good things about you. :yesnod

Could we cut a deal if we got 5-6 of us together one day and did it? I don't have headers, cam or anything else but if you think we would benefit from a tune I'd be up for it.

Could we cut a deal if we got 5-6 of us together one day and did it? I don't have headers, cam or anything else but if you think we would benefit from a tune I'd be up for it.

:agree:thumbs:yesnod