OEM navigation warning

HOXXOH

If you own a '05-'10 C6 or same year's Cadillac with factory navigation, avoid disconnecting the battery unless absolutely necessary. It appears those cars and possibly other GM cars have a 3 digit firmware code and when they power down and then power up again, the clock and some other limited functions are not able to reset after Dec 18, 2018. Hopefully the system will restore the full functions on April 9th as the GPS code resets the date week marker to 000 and you'll be good for another 999 weeks. The 2011 and newer nav use a 4 digit code that rolls over in 1024 weeks to match the GPS satellites. You'll be fine and not be affected if you don't disconnect power, because the problem only occurs during a reset.

3 hours ago, theChad said:

Navigation's Y2K dilemma?! These coders need better QA!

Not quite Y2K, but close. The radio mfg (Denso) programmed the three digit code into the radio at a time when 3 digits was the norm at only somewhere around 250. Apparently that guy assumed the GPS code would roll over at 999, not the 1024 as is the case. GM, without knowing the future problem, ordered upgraded radios for 2011 models and that programmer knew that the GPS week number code would eventually reach 1024 (aka 2 to the 10th power), so those won't ever have this problem. Now that Denso and GM have egg faces, you can bet that any other programmer or QA guy will be aware of the possible problem.

Since this is just starting to hit GM in the butt and all affected cars are out of factory warranty, no fix is currently available. GM/Denso may find a solution or decide to wait until April to see if it cures itself and hope they get another 19 years without it recurring. I'd suspect they'll play the wait and see game, betting on only a small number of cars will be disconnecting the battery in the next 3 months. Dealers will probably tell customers that GM is working to restore everything and should be back to normal in early April. Seeing it's not a safety issue, there won't be a recall.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Once again my ghetto C5 is unaffected. Suck it bitches! :LolLol:

Neither are either of my cars, because they don't have the factory nav. I didn't want a nav that I couldn't take out and put in a rental car when I traveled for business by air or throw in my older work truck to make local trips. Bought a $120 Garmin for my Vette and spoiled the wife with a $130 one for her car. :lol