NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Clutch Noise 72 Lt1

dss LT1

I am getting a clunk or pop noise when I depress the clutch pedal. This happens once every 2-3 times I press the pedal. I can feel the clunk in the pedal - it only happens when I press the pedal, not on release. It does not seem to have any effect on how the clutch is operating - it grabs and goes.

Any ideas?

Wild guess...air in the slave cylinder. Starts to compress and then pops when the piston starts to move. Like I said, wild guess. Good luck, Robert :burnout

It could be a throwout bearing but I would think it would be making a grinding noise too. Check the rod on the peddle assembly and make sure its not worn where it goes into the frame under the dash first. look at the upper spings on the clutch assembly in the engine compartment and then the rod from the peddle to the clutch assembly. If it looks good and tight then you may need to get under the car and take a look at the clutch fork. There is a clevis pin that could be worn out or the hole on the clutch fork or clutch rod might be worn out. If so, one or both will need to be replaced. Also check the springs on the clutch rod, maybe one is bound up or even missing. From there, check the clutch lever assymbly. The stud may be loose that could be causing a snapping noise too.

Or it could just be the muffler bearing........ :D

Good luck with it and let us know what it ends up being.

Andrew

Well I got underneath and looked around. One end of the the cross shaft was a little loose - tightened it up but it did not solve the problem. Had the wife get in and pump the clutch while I was under there - the noise is coming from inside the bell-housing, definitely not from the linkage. Soooo... looks like I am up for a new clutch. This is beyond my talent and time availability so I am going to call around tomorrow and see if I can't find a place to take it. I had an alignment done at Buddy's Alignment & Repair on Raintree in Scottsdale - family owned and did a great job so I am going to see if they want it...

I am open to suggestions on where to take it...

Guest Sidewinder
It could be a throwout bearing but I would think it would be making a grinding noise too. Check the rod on the peddle assembly and make sure its not worn where it goes into the frame under the dash first. look at the upper spings on the clutch assembly in the engine compartment and then the rod from the peddle to the clutch assembly. If it looks good and tight then you may need to get under the car and take a look at the clutch fork. There is a clevis pin that could be worn out or the hole on the clutch fork or clutch rod might be worn out. If so, one or both will need to be replaced. Also check the springs on the clutch rod, maybe one is bound up or even missing. From there, check the clutch lever assymbly. The stud may be loose that could be causing a snapping noise too.

Or it could just be the muffler bearing........ :D

Good luck with it and let us know what it ends up being.

Andrew

I forgot to ask, if you have it in N with the car running does it sound like someone is shaking a empty can with about 12 rocks in it? :thumbs

I forgot to ask, if you have it in N with the car running does it sound like someone is shaking a empty can with about 12 rocks in it? :thumbs

Broken Clutch Fork - I saw the part myself. Gotta replace everything while you're in there so...

I am getting a brand new clutch for Xmas...!