NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 Based Kit Car

Don&Patty

I have been watching the development of this car for the past year and half. It is the GTM Supercar made by Factory-Five Racing who manufacture the 427 Cobra kit that some of us are more familiar with. The donor car is a 1997–2004 C5 Corvette. It’s a rear engine car with a G50 Porsche gearbox, front and rear suspension is C5. From ground level to the top of the car is 42.5 inches, wheelbase is 101 inches and weigh is 2250 LBS. Price for the base kit is 20K and I estimate an additional 20k to complete which is actually not a bad price for the car. Would like to drive one just see how it handles and rides. I have a friend who is seriously thing about the car. Check it out at www.factoryfive.com

GTM-J-Engine-81_small.jpg

GTM-D-48_small.jpg

GTM-B1jpg_small.jpg

B2.jpg

Seems the only thing that is corvette is the engine? :huh Correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay. Read it again, Einstein. He just told you: "front and rear suspension is C5" :devil

Sean you are the KING! :cheers

:burnout

Seems the only thing that is corvette is the engine? :huh Correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay. Read it again, Einstein. He just told you: "front and rear suspension is C5" :devil

:smilelol

Guest Steve Mulvey

Saw this baby last time I was at our head office. Not to be a wet blanket, it looks pretty nice, but I think it is going to cost a lot more that $40K on the road. I had a Superformance Cobra that I got at a bargain price and re-sold after 5 years for what I paid so I am familiar with kit cars. The Superformance cost the original owner $107K and after 1300 miles I bought it for 45%... It is tough to get a nice finish and running gear for under about 40 on a factory five Cobra, I know someone who has $83K in one... I can introduce you to a bunch of guys who have built F5 Daytona coupes if you like and you can discuss the wonderful world of fabrication... and costs...

Steve

Look at the pics...does anything other than the motor look C5. That suspension sure doesn't. :crazy

Okay, maybe just the upper A arm and shock do. :D The rear cannot, not with the rear engine design.

Guest XLR8TNC5

I have been following this car for a few years and I was told by a Factory Five guy that you can actually turn your Corvette (C5) into them and they will do the "remodel" for your car for around the $45G's.

I thought about it and doing it in yellow when I first got my car. lol. But then I changed my mind. But it does look like a lot of fun!

I will see if I can find the pic of the one I was intereted in doing and post it here.

post-16-1166193460.jpg

Look at the pics...does anything other than the motor look C5. That suspension sure doesn't. :crazy

Okay, maybe just the upper A arm and shock do. :D The rear cannot, not with the rear engine design.

Okay again, I did a little research for ya, here's the list of parts outside of the kit you need for a complete car from their website:

GTM Supercar

Parts needed to complete

The kit comes with everything you need to build the car except for the parts listed below. All of these parts are GM parts and can be found in 1997-2004 C5 Corvette production (any model/transmission). You can purchase a lot of these parts brand new from GM or you can take them from a “donor” vehicle.

The only exception is the transaxle, which is a Porsche unit. The major Corvette parts include the engine, front and rear control arms, suspension/brakes, and fuel tanks. Below is a generalized list of non-kit parts you would need to obtain to complete your GTM kit. For a complete detailed list, click here.

1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette Parts

Complete front and rear suspension (minus leaf springs and shocks)

Front and rear hubs, calipers and rotors (outer CV joints on rear)

Tilt steering column w/stalks

E-brake handle/cables

Fuel tanks with pump(s) and flexible lines uncut

Radiator w/fans and plastic shroud

Engine and computer

Exhaust manifolds

Wiring harness w/engine, throttle control, & ignition sections

Wheels and tires

Oxygen sensors (4)

Ignition switch

Radiator fill tank

Wiper motor

Side and rear view mirrors

Exterior door handles

Vehicle speed sensor

Door window mechanisms

Seat belts

Gas pedal

Flexible brake lines- calipers

Hood latches w/ cable actuator

Porsche Transaxle Parts from 1987-1998 2-wheel drive 911 models

Porsche G50 or G50 variant transmission

Transmission must include the clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing, inner CV joints and starter.

Next!!!! :bang

Don't want to mislead you, the car is not for me and it’s not for the Corvette purist out there. I've had my fun owing and building a Factory-Five Cobra and also a Classic Roadsters Cobra from the ground up. The Classic Cobra was a pure build with no donor car as the Factory-Five requires a Mustang as a donor car. I still don’t like Cobra’s as I have problems fitting (long legs) in the things. The above kit requires a C5 as a donor. That's where a lot of the parts needed to complete come from. A wrecked C5 can be picked up at IAAI Auctions for a reasonable price. I do buying for a dealer (not Chevrolet) here in Casa Grande and I've bought 4 this past year all under 10K, 1 was rebuilt (fiberglass damage and the gearbox case was broken) and 3 were parts cars. The parts cars are what you want for a donor car. I still think the car can be built for 40K you will have to do a lot of the work yourself but that's the fun of it. If my friend builds it I'll bring it out some Saturday night so that all can see it and then you pick it apart.