Watches

scottcolbath

scottcolbath

What you got? I love a nice watch. I'm a fan of mechanical watches, but I won't turn my nose at a quartz movement. I own a couple. My dream watch is a Rolex Air King. Not  sure what will come first. The next vette, or the Air King.

My first. A limited edition Seiko Automatic Diver (Blue Lagoon Samurai). I scooped this up for $400 from a watch shop in Texas last November. Now you can't get one for under $1,000.

i-GTn6Q3H-X3.jpg

One of my beater watches. While the Seiko is not a "luxury" watch, it's a very nice watch. I wanted something to wear that I didn't care if it got scratched or beat up. This Bertucci is a real solid watch. Super light. You hardly notice it on your wrist. The Zulu strap makes it excellend for wearing while working out/biking/hiking.

i-zPmQB2w-XL.jpg

Next is a beautifu example of an old school pocket watch. This one needs a little help, but it runs.

i-4FTZqfn-X4.jpg

i-zb9wGcb-X4.jpg

A beautiful movement.

i-8SksKxc-X4.jpg

Last is the chrono I had to have for my bike rides and other exercise related things. Nothing fancy. Quartz movement, but a good watch for the intended purpose.

i-hDTKM33-XL.jpg

It's a great watch, but I noticed that it's difficult to see the sweeping second hand while doing my various things at the gym. So, I"m looking for another chrono with better visibility.

S.C.

I never really got into watches, but the last one I owned was probably the classic Casio calculator watch, because I’m a nerd.

Now I sport a phone that tells time, has a stopwatch with split, timer, alarm, and can track when the Space Station flys over my head.  Technology kicks ass!!

JLs Mistress

The Rolex is a great time piece and the good thing is value goes up 5 to 10 % a year depending on which model you have , which is more than the vette will do. If you can locate one you might consider a Zenith . .. Rolex at one time used there movements.. the down side about most is the service fees . Mine range between 500 - 800 for simple clean and adjust.

Now  all I wear is a smart watch 🙁..  and  down to one Bike a Cannondale Bad Boy ..

JLs Mistress
5 hours ago, Extender32 said:

My daily watch is a Rolex Datejust.

Does yours have the 3135 movement or the newer 3235 either way classic time piece...

I have one from each Grandfather. The pocket watch is an Illinois brand and the other is a Benrus.  I don’t use a watch since the invention of the cellphone. 

AF38EC92-7FBE-46F0-ADAE-A29EF0DF6EA0.jpeg

6 hours ago, JLs Mistress said:

Does yours have the 3135 movement or the newer 3235 either way classic time piece...

To be honest, I really don't know.

1968 Seiko self-winder w/1974 Indian silver (severely tarnished) and turquoise. Only worn once since 1975 to a Geezer lunch.(never seen rain) (always drawer kept) Shook it a bit before the pic and it ran for 40 minutes. Could belong to someone else if a fair offer were tendered. :yesnod

letter,watch,map 003.JPG

JLs Mistress
2 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

1968 Seiko self-winder w/1974 Indian silver (severely tarnished) and turquoise. Only worn once since 1975 to a Geezer lunch.(never seen rain) (always drawer kept) Shook it a bit before the pic and it ran for 40 minutes. Could belong to someone else if a fair offer were tendered. :yesnod

letter,watch,map 003.JPG

Ok 

how much you give me to take it.

JLs Mistress
19 hours ago, Eddie44 said:

I have one from each Grandfather. The pocket watch is an Illinois brand and the other is a Benrus.  I don’t use a watch since the invention of the cellphone. 

AF38EC92-7FBE-46F0-ADAE-A29EF0DF6EA0.jpeg

Looks like  the wrist watch has the famous Speidel Twist O Flex band. This would be the perfect  Tues lunch watch.

5 hours ago, JLs Mistress said:

Looks like  the wrist watch has the famous Speidel Twist O Flex band. This would be the perfect  Tues lunch watch.

🤣🤣

I’m with Chad.  I have not worn a watch or ring in 30 years.  My wrist sweats under them.  

I quit wearing watches in 1997 when I stopped being a cross-country truck driver. After many years of having to log every single minute of every day and wearing a watch 24/7, I no longer wanted to know exactly what time it was.  I've been running a bit late ever since. :lol

JLs Mistress
On 7/16/2018 at 8:00 AM, Chameleon said:

I quit wearing watches in 1997 when I stopped being a cross-country truck driver. After many years of having to log every single minute of every day and wearing a watch 24/7, I no longer wanted to know exactly what time it was.  I've been running a bit late ever since. :lol

SOUNDS LIKE  TIMING  IS RETARDED  ....

• 1 month later...
scottcolbath

That Seiko chrono I bought a while back just isn't going to work. I constantly mistake the minute hand for the chrono hand, or can't see the chrono hand at all, due to it's super thin and chrome look, that blends with the rest of the watch.

I've made up my mind and this is the new replacement.

91rHWvgJ56L._UY445_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Tissot-Navigator-Rubber-Chronograph-T062-427-17-057-00/dp/B006GCPNB2/ref=sr_1_8?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1534988047&sr=1-8&nodeID=6358540011&psd=1&keywords=chronograph+watches+for+men&refinements=p_36%3A-50000%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A379301011%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A379300011|379304011

Decent quality ETA automatic movement, and iIt's getting a Zulu strap.

https://www.amazon.com/ArtStyle-Ballistic-Material-High-End-Buckle/dp/B073Y9LSZC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1534988822&sr=8-7&keywords=22mm+zulu+strap

S.C.

I have a Rolex Air King stainless that belonged to my Dad. He used to wear it when I was a kid. It's at least 35 years old. He gifted it to me when i graduated college. It still works flawlessly.

Rolex.jpg

scottcolbath
1 hour ago, Ted Y said:

I have a Rolex Air King stainless that belonged to my Dad. He used to wear it when I was a kid. It's at least 35 years old. He gifted it to me when i graduated college. It still works flawlessly.

Rolex.jpg

That's a fine watch, and my ultimate watch goal is a current version of the Air King. I just love the look.

m116900-0001.png

S.C.

scottcolbath

So here is the new guy. It has an ETA automatic movement, with some plastic parts. 😱

This movement (c01.211) was designed by ETA at the request of the Swatch group about ten years ago. Back then, they were (and probably still are) tossing this movement in $1,000 watches. I found that surprising. This watch I just got is only $350.

Anyway.......The box weighs a shitload. They include two small books. One is a history of Tissot, and the other a catalog. Take those out, and the watch, and the fucking box still weighs a shitload. What the hell did they make this thing from?

IMG_20180825_152848787-XL.jpg

IMG_20180825_152936451_HDR-XL.jpg

The five ring Zulu strap I ordered for this watch (pictured below) felt real clunky on the watch.

IMG_20180825_160131908_HDR-XL.jpg

So, I pulled the NATO off my Seiko chrono and tried it on the Tissot. That works much better. That fifth ring seems to get in the way, no matter which way I loop the strap. So, even though the one from the Seiko is a 21mm, and the strap that I got for the new watch is a 22mm, they are staying swapped for now. And oddly enough, the Seiko feels great with the 22 on it.

Here's the Tissot with the 21mm four ring NATO. And the sweeping second hand for the chrono is way better to view, compared to the Seiko chrono I have posted up before on this thread. So I think this will be a decent automatic watch for $350.

i-RJfRSXb-XL.jpg

I'll be watching the accuracy closely over the next couple of days. Something I could not get any intel on before buying the watch, was if it hacks and hand winds, and it turns out that it does. That makes me happy.

S.C.