NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Goddammit! I want this car!

scottcolbath

scottcolbath

i-24HBmvT-XL.jpg

The story is, I brought he ex wife up to Chapman on west Bell, to buy a Hyundai. I'm a nice guy, and it also means that I finally get my friggin' truck back, and I don't have to drive the FRC every day.

So, she gets her shit all done and I'm leaving. Then in the parking lot, I spot this. It's clean on top and underneath. But it has some weird cast alooooominnium exhaust tip. Eh, whatever. The rest of the car is very nice. 60K miles. 2005. Stick. A solid, basic car, which is how I like it.

I put the truck in park, walked inside and asked for the details. $23K. Car Fax is spotless. Looks fine under the hood. Everything seems to work just fine.....Except for the dead battery. So they hit it with a jump and it fired right up and sounded good. But it was completely out of gas. So we went out back to gas it up. The sales gal had to go find someone with a card for the pump. So, like an idiot, I shut it off. Then it wouldn't restart. So they brought back the crash cart, and it would not crank over this time. So there was probably an issue with the cart. 

I'm sure if you tossed a battery in this car, it would be fine. I never got to drive it any further than the back lot at the dealership. It felt very different compared to my C5, but I liked what I took in.

All this nonsense aside, I'm freshly divorced, and lucky that I managed to hang on to my car, truck and two motorcycles. From almost the first day I got the C5 back in 2014, I wanted a C6. I had plans to sell the C5 and start saving for a a C6. Then this happens. I have no idea if I can get them down on the price, because it's a bit high for a 2005 with that mileage. I'm seeing them for 17K in great condition. They only care about what it cost them to take in that car. I doubt they will budge much on price. But what do you guys think?

S.C.

Very sharp!  Make 'em an offer and be ready to walk and let them sit on it a few more days.

scottcolbath
34 minutes ago, JohnU said:

Very sharp!  Make 'em an offer and be ready to walk and let them sit on it a few more days.

First I have to convince myself this is a good idea. 

S.C.

2005s are just bad though.  One reason the battery is dead is because you had to park them in reverse or the power never shut off.  They're also the LS2 instead of LS3 and the list grows from there on a base model first year C6.  

I say you save your money and wait until you're in a better spot and get a Grand Sport if you really want a C6.  Then if you want more power in the future you just throw a supercharger on it and be done with it.

Or something like this for $30k

C6Z $30k with 30k on the clock

10 minutes ago, Drewstein said:

2005s are just bad though.  One reason the battery is dead is because you had to park them in reverse or the power never shut off.  They're also the LS2 instead of LS3 and the list grows from there on a base model first year C6.  

I say you save your money and wait until you're in a better spot and get a Grand Sport if you really want a C6.  Then if you want more power in the future you just throw a supercharger on it and be done with it.

Or something like this for $30k

C6Z $30k with 30k on the clock

How about an ‘08 or newer base for the LS3? ‘Cuz I been window shopping for that style too. Good idea? Or still better to get a GS?

9 hours ago, theChad said:

How about an ‘08 or newer base for the LS3? ‘Cuz I been window shopping for that style too. Good idea? Or still better to get a GS?

^^^ '08 or newer for the LS3..rock solid engine.

'05 is notorious for electrical gremlins, pretty much they bolted a new body on the '04 architecture and the marriage wasn't a good one.  If it was me, I'd pass, but that damn sure is a pretty car

scottcolbath

Yeah, I'll pass, and wait. I would really love a GS. That's always blown my skirt up.

Don't need Z-06 power. It's nice, but when I want to haul ass, I hop on the Hayabusa, which can walk past a Z-06.

S.C.

22 hours ago, theChad said:

From there it's going to be personal taste etc.  I always liked the wide body of the GS, Z06 & ZR1 over the base but having the LS3 is a big plus while also avoiding the problems the '05 brings to the table.

2 hours ago, scottcolbath said:

Yeah, I'll pass, and wait. I would really love a GS. That's always blown my skirt up.

Don't need Z-06 power. It's nice, but when I want to haul ass, I hop on the Hayabusa, which can walk past a Z-06.

S.C.

The reason I posted that is ~$7k difference for a much better car that won't match Busa straight line performance, but will make a great cruiser while being very fast and over engineered compared to a base C6.  You couldn't match the Z with double the investment in a C6 and it'll probably hold value better as well.

• Thanks 1

scottcolbath
30 minutes ago, Drewstein said:

From there it's going to be personal taste etc.  I always liked the wide body of the GS, Z06 & ZR1 over the base but having the LS3 is a big plus while also avoiding the problems the '05 brings to the table.

The reason I posted that is ~$7k difference for a much better car that won't match Busa straight line performance, but will make a great cruiser while being very fast and over engineered compared to a base C6.  You couldn't match the Z with double the investment in a C6 and it'll probably hold value better as well.

You know, you're right. And this car comes with all the safety feathers. Why the hell wouldn't I want it? :lol

Seller Notes

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 with only 30k miles. LOADED...CLEAN CARFAX....NO ACCIDENTS..., HUD Display, Bluetooth Connection, Leather Seats, Heated Mirrors, Satellite Radio all the safety feathers.

That is a good deal, and I won't rule out a Z when the time comes to make the move to a C6.

S.C.

C6Z = LS7 = poor exhaust valve guide design.  Make sure the heads have been fixed or set aside a few grand to have them done...

scottcolbath
7 hours ago, Chameleon said:

C6Z = LS7 = poor exhaust valve guide design.  Make sure the heads have been fixed or set aside a few grand to have them done...

I've read about that a few times. Wasn't that a factory recall?

S.C.

2 hours ago, scottcolbath said:

I've read about that a few times. Wasn't that a factory recall?

S.C.

Most people just do WCCH heads with a street cam because winning.  Many Zs have been fixed and even the almighty ZR1 had the same issues.  Bang for the buck, used Grand Sports, Zs and even ZR1s are at or darn near the top of the heap right now.

I've owned my C6 for a little over a month now.  I love it.  Love, love, love.  It is an LS2, and I would have liked to have the LS3, but I can live with that decision easily due to the cost savings when I bought the car.

However, after driving it, I find that I often wish I had the GS.  That would be the ONLY change I would make to my car.  The little wide-body ... something about it really makes the car massively impressive on the road.  It is a not-so subtle difference, but the widebody is truly the one I wish I could get.  But, then again, the price difference would have put it out of my range, so I didn't.  I got the car of my dreams at my price point, and something I'm able to drive every day and not have to baby it.  

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 12:00 PM, mellojoe said:

I've owned my C6 for a little over a month now.  I love it.  Love, love, love.  It is an LS2, and I would have liked to have the LS3, but I can live with that decision easily due to the cost savings when I bought the car.

However, after driving it, I find that I often wish I had the GS.  That would be the ONLY change I would make to my car.  The little wide-body ... something about it really makes the car massively impressive on the road.  It is a not-so subtle difference, but the widebody is truly the one I wish I could get.  But, then again, the price difference would have put it out of my range, so I didn't.  I got the car of my dreams at my price point, and something I'm able to drive every day and not have to baby it.  

A great mod for the regular body cars is a wide booty.  The factory wide rear fenders aren't that expensive to add.  You can get some reproduction wheels to fit and have a great looking setup.

That or lower it which does make it look sleek IMO.  That and black out the halo.

• Upvote 1